Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo
Quote | Reply
Anyone use B12 shots to increase their energy and/or race stamina? I have heard that a series of shots will increase energy, allow you to recover faster, and sleep better. The other side of the coin says that this is all a placebo result?]
Thoughts.....
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I us B12 sublingual (under the tongue). 1 drop 3 times a week and it keeps my B12 levels where they should be. I can feel when I have low B12 but can't imagine it'd be a huge boost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Odds are that if you are a meat eater you do not need to supplement. Even better, unless you are a vegan with a terrible diet you do not need to supplement. Most of the population has no vitamin B12 deficency to speak of, so supplementation simply makes for expensive pee. On the plus side vitamin B12 dosen't have any real negative side effects due to over supplementation, so you don't really have to worry too much about hurting yourself if you are taking it.

Run, work, run, sleep, repeat until fast, injured or insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Total placebo effect .... but its cheap ... and if you're really convinced it helps ... its cheap ;-) Better choice than something that costs $1/pill to get your placebo effect.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [aerochute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick pubmed search doesn't really support the latter part about too much B12 either way, what is there kinda says we just don't know about the effects of too much B12.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take a b complex vitamin in the morning and if I dint take it I can tell a little bit. It does seem to give a but of energy. No Moreau than coffee would. I don't know how much more effect a shot would give. Should be similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [aplohris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that a b12 shot is much more potent than a pill, so maybe a few cups of coffee??
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [saxman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I us B12 sublingual (under the tongue). 1 drop 3 times a week and it keeps my B12 levels where they should be. I can feel when I have low B12 but can't imagine it'd be a huge boost.
If you have a REAL B12 deficiency, you need some testing. You either have an Intrinsic Factor deficiency or some kind of malabsorption. As stated in the post after yours, it is pretty difficult to have a B12 deficit, unless you are a vegan, or lost the last few feet of your small intestine.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use to take vitamin b12, but I could not digest it and it caused other problems with my digestive system.

Do the shots have a side effect like this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a bunch of B12 supplement pills from Target or Costco. (not the vitamin B supplement, the B12 supplement.) It works to give you energy. Take 4 of them and you will get a boost.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If you have a REAL B12 deficiency, you need some testing. You either have an Intrinsic Factor deficiency or some kind of malabsorption. As stated in the post after yours, it is pretty difficult to have a B12 deficit, unless you are a vegan, or lost the first few feet of your small intestine.
It's more of a preventative measure since I'm prone to vitamin deficiencies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've never had the B12 shot personally, but i've had some music clients that fell ill or were really run down from touring before a big performance or show. the docs suggested the shot and it definitely helped them perform at a much higher level than without it. the rest just snort a few lines and give it a go. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As other folks have mentioned, it is quite unlikely for anyone to have a Vitamin B12 deficiency unless they have absorption issues ( pernicious anaemia ). If you were deficient then your diet would have to be so shockingly poor then participating in any exercise would be out of the question. Similarly if you were suffering from pernicious anaemia then no oral supplement is going to help, only intra-muscular injections.

In short, B12 supplementation is simply not worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [Rouleur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with what you are saying. I do have a malabsorption issue, hence needing extra vitamin supplements. I don't use it for a boost of energy but to mainain proper levels. Also what was said about peeing out extra vitamin/protein intake is spot on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B12 stores are normally quite large and take a long time to deplete, even in vegans. Absorption requires an intact stomach and an intact ileum. Oral supplements are not usually effective. There are two proven methods of replacement, injection and intranasal. Even my patients with Crohn's disease after replacement of their stores rarely require more than one injection every month and most do fine with an injection every three months. This isn't something that requires daily replacement.

On the other hand, if the placebo effect is a positive thing for you, at least for now there appears to be no downside to the B12 supplements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they worked great for Barry Bonds ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B12 is often used to reconstitute PED's. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but too much B6 can cause balance issues.

This is my personal theory on the questionable bike handling skills of (some) triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [Chris3mes1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use to take vitamin b12, but I could not digest it and it caused other problems with my digestive system.
Some digestive problem cause B12 def. I hadn't heard this complaint, but my patients don't very often take B12

Do the shots have a side effect like this?
Not that I know of.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If you have a REAL B12 deficiency, you need some testing. You either have an Intrinsic Factor deficiency or some kind of malabsorption. As stated in the post after yours, it is pretty difficult to have a B12 deficit, unless you are a vegan, or lost the first few feet of your small intestine.
It's more of a preventative measure since I'm prone to vitamin deficiencies.
Actually it's the terminal ileum that absorbs B12, if there is Intrinsic factor available.

If you're prone to vitamin deficiencies, I would wonder about a malabsorption issue, like celiac disease, etc. The symptoms can be quite subtle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was recommended vitamin b12 sublingual by my doctor after WLS. Sublingual is easy to digest as it is absorbed directly into the blood stream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
> The other side of the coin says that this is all a placebo result?

The placebo effect is highly underrated. As long as you don't turn into a kook, etc. why not get the benefit? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try it and see what happens for you. Personally, taking B12 really wreaks havoc in my brain because it compounds the effect of a med I'm taking.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Placebo like everyone else said. It's a painful shot, it must do something good!!
Quote Reply
Re: Vitamin B12 - Energy Boost or Placebo [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the pro's take "Vitamin B" shots" and it works for them. I guess it all depends on your definition of Vitamin B.
Quote Reply

Prev Next