Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vineman
Quote | Reply
I'm a flat lander in Houston using my trainer to train for Vineman 70.3. Whats the best way to get hill training in to make sure i don't bonk?
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [Tkettle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tkettle wrote:
I'm a flat lander in Houston using my trainer to train for Vineman 70.3. Whats the best way to get hill training in to make sure i don't bonk?

Just have the correct gearing. Really no big hills in the race compared to what others in the area offer

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could do some slow cadence work. TR has some workouts where they give you instructions for 60-80 rpm intervals.

Biggest thing though is to just pace appropriately and keep your wattage below FTP on all but the steepest gradients.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What hills? ;) There's less than 2000 feet of climbing. Most of that is rolling hills. The only real climb is less than 400 feet.

You'd be fine with a full size chainring and an 11/28. Bigger question is not gearing, but how to train yourself to pace uphill so you don't blow. Get out of the saddle and attack hills....if you'd like to walk the run. Otherwise ride smart, stay in the bars, and ride within your means. This is where experience helps, and a powermeter and knowing your FTP.

Can you travel out of your area? Find some rolling hills? If not, your only other option is a controllable trainer like computrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
What hills? ;) There's less than 2000 feet of climbing. Most of that is rolling hills. The only real climb is less than 400 feet.

You'd be fine with a full size chainring and an 11/28. Bigger question is not gearing, but how to train yourself to pace uphill so you don't blow. Get out of the saddle and attack hills....if you'd like to walk the run. Otherwise ride smart, stay in the bars, and ride within your means. This is where experience helps, and a powermeter and knowing your FTP.

Can you travel out of your area? Find some rolling hills? If not, your only other option is a controllable trainer like computrainer.

If they are in shape.

But for a wuss like me, I have 50/34 11/32 on my bikes. If for some reason I feel I need granny gears for a hill, at least I always know I have them, even if I never
actually use them. :)

Too back he did not do IMLT. Then he would need to have been real concerned about real hills. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tkettle ...

The key is managing your output on the hills ... there is 4000 feet climbing for the 112 miles and there are not any major climbs BUT coming from flatland area you will find it to be hilly at times. At the 112 mile IM Vineman course it is really not any one hill or climb is the accumulation of all the rollers and small hills that takes a toll if effort is mis-managed. There will be a significant amount of really big positive split bike rides from athletes on the course wit a lot of time lost between mile 90-110

If you can't find hills the best bet is to do some higher tension stuff on the trainer to prepare for lowering your cadence. EVEN better is just make sure you have the proper gearing so that you can "flatten the course" .. the proper gearing will allow you to ride a narrow window of output that is best for energy conservation and preservation of run legs. Below is what I posted on a couple pages ... this is based off alot miles on the course AND seeing alot of files of athletes who have raced well AND poorly @ VIneman. Here is my suggestion for gearing (these are the easiest gears you'd want) :

<5:00 a 39 x 25 will work
-5:00-5:20 then a 39 x 27 OR 28 (close to 5:20 i'd opt for 36x27)
-5:20-5:45 then a 34 x 27 OR 36 x 28
-5:45-6:10 34 x 28 OR 34 x 30
- Any slower than 6:10 34 x 32 is the safest way to go, but a 34 x 30 would work as well
NOTE: some of this depends on your weight

Best of Luck

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Jun 14, 16 14:10
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave - what's the word on the current on the swim this year? I swam the area before they put up the dam this year and the river was moving! The next day at Monte Rio there was a bit of a current too. What are you seeing this year after they put the dam up? Should we expect a tougher upstream swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In short ... NO

Swimming in May with no Dam = VERY different than swimming in mid to late July with Dam in. Flow rate or CFS will be much lighter in July and the volume of water that builds up behind the dam dissipates that even more. I can't see it haveing an effect on swim times.

The Dam is finally in (it will be full water depth between 17th-19th) and we will have our first group swim out there next week. At that time i would expect the flow rate to be higher than for the races in July

EDIT: current CFS is around 200 (which is generally "normal") ... last year with water conservation it was below 100 ... current water temp 67 degrees

Dave Latourette
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Jun 15, 16 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I remember you saying at the Monte Rio tri that currents are higher because of the higher water levels in the area this year. I wasn't sure how that would play out after the dam is up. I'll look for your updates once your team gets to swim later this month!
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus I think we had some rain earlier in the week before Monte Rio

I'll try to post an update on "real' river / swim conditions after we swim next week

DL

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the rules about swimming in booties and is it recommended because of the shallow areas where you have to walk?
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [kylestone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe booties @ WTC races have a water temp cut off so likely not legal @ Vineman. There are no shallow spots you "have" to walk, only where people choose walk. (If you find yourself in the wrong spot, north side of river, about 1/2 half way back from the turn you may put yourself in a position to walk briefly - ) ... We start swimming on course weekly starting next WED and can report more but typically all the shallow water is swimmable, even for the tall guys in out squad

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the Houston area also - I rode at Chappell Hill this past Saturday and headed back again. Just over 3,000ft elevation in 75 miles. Meeting at the Shell station at 6:30am
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave -- any updates on the swim course, depth, water flow since your first training swim?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
mikew
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [mike@tri-mesa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current ... CFS is down from 200 to maybe 120 so you still have a slower upstream / faster downstream scenario ... on race day unless you are leading it really is a non-issue ;-) ... either way it just isn't that strong

Depth ... the first night we swam it was deeper than usual but I think it was from maybe amount of water being released and some pooling / back filling in areas since the dam had just been installed. It is now back to what resembles the depth that we see most every year. The small shallow area near & after the 70.3 turn still exists (and will unless someone dredges ;-) For the Ironman VM one will only have to navigate the small shallow area once and that would be on the return.

(Water temps won't get over 72/73 today for a high ... likely under 70 tomorrow morning ... weather is cooler than normal BUT was mid to upper 90's a week ago and water temps always reflect our weather & water discharge rate upstream ... last week water temps were pushing 80 in the evening, but still low 70.3 by morning)

Really not much different than any year

Best,

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is confusing what time transition closes on the morning. At the check in area it said if you have a bib in a certain range (later swim waves) transition doesn't close until 7:30am. However, on the last minute information sheet they handed out at check in it says "ALL" athletes must be out of transition by 6:15am. I need to pump my tires but would prefer not sitting around for 2+ hours as I don't start until 8:34am. So, which is it?
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [moneyball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bib 1-1445 out by 6:15
Bib 1446 - 2605 out by 7:30

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes agree. I just spoke (4 pm) with the Staff at the bike check in and they said All athletes must Enter by 6:15 am. Anyone trying to come in after that time will not be allowed.
It apparently just the exit time that's changed. BUT several athletes there said no that changed so I think there is still some confusion and hopefully won't be disappointed people.

I worried if one can even get into the t1 by 6:15 am. It took over an hr with all the backup of traffic and trying to find a place way down Armstrong Woods to get the bike to the bike check in.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh. I don't understand why someone would enter before 6:15 but not want to leave until 7:30. Frustrating that multiple official sources contradict each other.

BarbBikeTechie wrote:
Yes agree. I just spoke (4 pm) with the Staff at the bike check in and they said All athletes must Enter by 6:15 am. Anyone trying to come in after that time will not be allowed.
It apparently just the exit time that's changed. BUT several athletes there said no that changed so I think there is still some confusion and hopefully won't be disappointed people.

I worried if one can even get into the t1 by 6:15 am. It took over an hr with all the backup of traffic and trying to find a place way down Armstrong Woods to get the bike to the bike check in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response Dave. As you can see from Barb's subsequent post to this thread the officials at T2 she spoke with said no one is allowed in after 6:15 but that those with the appropriate bib number can exit up until 7:30. This makes no sense to me but I'm afraid of not being able to race unless I arrive many hours before I race. Is it possible for the race director to email all participants clarity in order to have the official official word?

Dave Latourette wrote:
Bib 1-1445 out by 6:15
Bib 1446 - 2605 out by 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
* I made it CRYSTAL clear in race briefings what the situation was ... all athletes were advised of the change via check when all athletes were handed the exact number sequence and wording and posted via email / website ... It is not posted in a single place an athlete needs to be IN T1 by a specific time.

* TRAFFIC ... 50+% of traffic in Guerneville this afternoon was TYPICAL summer, Saturday Guerneville traffic. If eeryone staggers themeselves into Guerneville race morning all will be fine ... the only people going to Guerneville tomorrow morning will be triathletes not vacationers headed to the coast, Guerneville, or Monte Rio

I have no idea what the coulple of volunteers were saying BUT I asked a few of my athletes and they received no contradictory info from what was delivered via registration OR at race meetings

Not sure what else to say

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... also the hand out you received at check in gave the two number sequences for for staggered 6:15 / 7:30 t1 closure ... i'm reading my wifes curently ... she checked in FRI

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barb ... see my message above re: traffic

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave I agree with you but the volunteers were quite adamant. It wasn't relevant to my question but other athletes overhearing were then asking kinda confused having heard what you said. Hopefully it was just long day tired volunteers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barb ... likely a few 2nd shift volunteers .. seems most athletes were pretty dialed on procedure ... Have a GREAT race tomorrow!

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply

Prev Next