Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vineman 70.3 Rolldown
Quote | Reply
did anyone attend or hear if any spots rolled down?
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I attended and there were a bunch of roll downs. Barely anyone out of the top 5 of each AG showed for some AGs. Were you trying to get something more specific?
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [void main()] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just kind of curious with it not being in Vegas and with vineman so close in date. How about m30-34?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one in the top 5 podium finishers took the two spots available.

And when prompting the audience on who was there (he made sure to double check several times), only two guys stood up so they both got the spots.

Were you in that age group?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya did a 4:47. I know nothing special and I couldn't have gone to worlds this year anyways but was just kinda curious if I could have. Roll downs have got to be absurd at some of these American races now that they are in canada and Europe next year.
So two dudes basically stood up and claimed the spots?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that's the reason why the top 5 declined spots because it's in Canada, but probably more so because it's Eastern Canada vice Western which would have been easier/cheaper to go to from California. This is assuming most or all the guys were based in/around California.

But yes, essentially two dudes stood up and got a spot. However one guy was a Team Every Man Jack guy, so I suspect he's pretty quick only because I always see the EMJ guys crushing it out there. But I would say with that time you would have got a spot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, EMJ dudes are the real deal, and nice guys on top of that.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly some age groups scooped spots straight away (podium athletes) while others there were roll downs (a combo of athletes already having spots and simply not wanting one) ... 1 of the roll downs in 30-34 was to a 4:40 time the other I do not recall ... later in the awards an older mens AG got re-allocated to M30-34 and there was only one 30-34 left at awards and he took the spot.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Jul 20, 14 21:56
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, are the slots ever posted on-line somewhere after WTC events?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly I don't know that they do ... I know the Vineman admin folks simply process the paperwork and it gets sent off to WTC - maybe they put it in the secret vault? ;-) not sure why it's not published

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They couldn't give the slots away this year... We were betting that someone, anyone could of just stood up and claimed a spot without even racing that day!

D

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice time you had, sir.

Why do you think they couldn't give them away? Just curious, I'm sure many on your team qualified.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure.. Too far, too expensive? We figured a minimum of 2k. I'd love to race it someday but it would've just been too much going on with Kona in 12 freaking weeks.... :)

scofflaw wrote:
Nice time you had, sir.

Why do you think they couldn't give them away? Just curious, I'm sure many on your team qualified.

Team Every Man Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmounts wrote:
Not sure.. Too far, too expensive? We figured a minimum of 2k. I'd love to race it someday but it would've just been too much going on with Kona in 12 freaking weeks.... :)

scofflaw wrote:
Nice time you had, sir.

That is the high f#€king roller of BDBs. Chapeau!

(Give me the ten bucks later okay?)

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily true (some years have been much more complicated to give spots away) I was honestly surprised how many spots were taken straight up considering time of year and distance / cost to travel ... some age group spots were gone straight off the podium (a lot of womens age groups especially were boom boom one ... woman who was 4th in 40-44 had to wait until bitter end to get her spot) -- men's 45-49 top 2 guys took them ... a lot of men's age groups guys already had them (which makes sense considering competitive nature of the field) ... also very late in the qualifying year to take a spot, plan, and balance expenses (as you have related too) ... I also believe if the race was in say Vancouver BC roll downs would have been scarce

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An extra slot was given to the women's 35-39 AG which resulted in a roll down to 10th place for the 3rd slot. It was my daughter's first 70.3 and since she already had travel plans in place to come and support me (her mom) at Tremblant, she took the slot. So instead of supporting me, she'll be racing with me;) Our first race together, will be so much fun!

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [ngrabow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ngrabow wrote:
An extra slot was given to the women's 35-39 AG which resulted in a roll down to 10th place for the 3rd slot. It was my daughter's first 70.3 and since she already had travel plans in place to come and support me (her mom) at Tremblant, she took the slot. So instead of supporting me, she'll be racing with me;) Our first race together, will be so much fun!

Your Amys mom!! I was meaning to ask her if she got the roll down because when we met up at the finish line and we found out she was 10th I suggested she go to the awards ceremony because a slot may roll down. I told her my friend finished 16th in her AG at Timberman last year and got a roll down slot so she has a chance. Congrats to you as well as she mentioned she would be there anyway to support you. I raced there last year and its a great race and the locals really support it! Oh my name is Andre by the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [GrapeJuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Andre! Yes, we have pictures of you from the race. Congrats on a great race. Amy and I will have lots of fun at MT. I might have a chance of having a faster bike split:)

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to "Hi Jack" the thread...but just wait until next spring and summer when the world are in Austria. Roll downs will be massive at 70.3s in the states. There may be some drive for slots this fall and winter at races, but when you get to races in late spring and summer, the bulk of the USA 70.3 schedule, you are talking a couple of months to put together a trip to Austria. Kona sure, but this isn't Kona. Maybe more Europeans coming to the states to grab slots next winter/spring/early summer?
And that will change dramatically when the world circulate back to the USA in a few more years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Not necessarily true (some years have been much more complicated to give spots away) I was honestly surprised how many spots were taken straight up considering time of year and distance / cost to travel ... some age group spots were gone straight off the podium (a lot of womens age groups especially were boom boom one ... woman who was 4th in 40-44 had to wait until bitter end to get her spot) -- men's 45-49 top 2 guys took them ... a lot of men's age groups guys already had them (which makes sense considering competitive nature of the field) ... also very late in the qualifying year to take a spot, plan, and balance expenses (as you have related too) ... I also believe if the race was in say Vancouver BC roll downs would have been scarce

Yes, time of year I'm sure plays a huge part.... I guess it is all about perspective. Somebody taking 15th or 20th in their AG, which happened at Vineman, and getting a slot is what I was referring to when I mentioned "couldn't give them away" .... NIGHT AND DAY from Kona. Next year will be far worse but I'm guessing the US will have FAR less slots when World's is over seas... What a GREAT race, Vineman is, though!!

D

Team Every Man Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC is not dumb. Just about every 70.3 in the US starting with Steelhead next month has only 30 slots to Austria. Every 70.3 in Europe has 50 except for Austria itself with 75 for St Polten and 100 at this year's Zell Am See 70.3. Outside of Europe or the U.S., there will be 35 slots per race.

I'll be at Lake Stevens next month and will try to capture the exact roll down for all age groups and post it to ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah ... next year I believe Vineman (from that they have discussed with me) will have only have 30 Max .... (actually they were suppose to have 30 this year but they ended up with 40 ... that would have made for a difference in the slot allocation / rolldown).

WTC / Messick had stated that with regionalized 70.3 WC races that slots would be balanced toward those regions. The further away in distance and the closer in time to the WC, roll downs change alot. ( i would bet later season euro IM races have a higher percentage of rolldown then say France or even Frankfurt) I was in Cozumel last year last year at allocation / roll down and even though they butchered the re-allocation of spots (from older AG DNF's) I don't think there was one slot tuned down??

**Heck even the difference between a US based west coast race and US east coast qualifying race relative to Austria 70.3 WC next is a ton of flying time & travel distance

Enjoy the rest of your season and nice race @ VM!

DL

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be too far for me to consider. And yep, just to fly to the east coast is like what 6 hours, then over the water. In NA, interested, in Europe, done that too expensive.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was thinking Tahoe would roll down a bunch last September being so close to Kona. Didn't realize it was the beginning of the "KQ year" for 2014. I don't think any spots rolled with it being 13 months away and a direct flight from SFO.

I am thinking about signing up for Tahoe 70.3 in September and Vineman next year with the hopes of a big roll-down and a trip to Austria. Finished just under 5 hours (M30-34), so while I don't suck there was never any chance of me qualifying for Vegas. Better to be lucky/rich than good?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Would be too far for me to consider. And yep, just to fly to the east coast is like what 6 hours, then over the water. In NA, interested, in Europe, done that too expensive. .

Expensive yes, but it doesn't take 6 hours to go coast to coast on a direct flight. Plus, planes fly over the great circle not across the Atlantic as most map projections would have people assume. Assuming a direct flight to Munich (easy train ride to race in Austria), the distances from these four corners of the US are:

Los Angeles - 5989 miles
Seattle - 5283 miles
Tampa - 4996 miles
New York - 4038 miles

LAX to JFK is 2475 miles so it would actually take longer to fly to the east coast then to Munich (2475+4038 = 6513) then it would be to go to Seattle and northward (954 + 5283 = 6236). Regardless, if you live in the SouthWest of the U.S. you have the longest way to go.
Quote Reply

Prev Next