Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Video: Critique my bike fit
Quote | Reply
I recently switched from a road saddle to an ISM Prologue, and I am having a bit of trouble fitting the new saddle. I have done three rides with the new saddle, and on all three, my right leg (and only the right) gets tight and crampy after about 20 minutes of biking hard. It is almost to the point that I feel like I am going to be injured, so I am not sure if I just need some adjusting time for the new saddle, or if it’s fitted wrong.
With my original saddle, I got the bike fitted at a bike shop and it felt great. When I put the Prologue on, I returned to the shop, they took standard leg angle and length measurements and increased my saddle height +12cm. However, the +12cm feels like it might be too high even though they said the math says it should be correct.

The first test in the video is using the saddle height (compensated for different saddles bar length) as my original fit, and the +12cm second test in the video shows what the shop said I should be at with my new saddle. It seems the +12cm adjustment slightly decreased my right-leg cramping problem, but it’s too early to say.

Also, with regard to my clip-on shoes, the cleat on the shoes is in setting 3 of 25, with 1 being most toward the heal and 25 being most toward the toes. I figured putting my weight as close to the heal as possible would reduce foot fatigue, compared to moving the cleat to the front by the toes.

Pictures of the old and new saddle:

And the video: https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.b

Last edited by: audiobahn1000: Sep 13, 14 1:23
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Critique my bike fit [audiobahn1000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never say I know a great deal about fitting but since there are so responses so far I'll try to add something but it just looks like your knees are jabbing into your elbows and angle of your ankle looks like I might drop the seat back down to make it just a little bit more flat. And 12cm, good gracious me.
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Critique my bike fit [shikailun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shikailun wrote:
I would never say I know a great deal about fitting but since there are so responses so far I'll try to add something but it just looks like your knees are jabbing into your elbows and angle of your ankle looks like I might drop the seat back down to make it just a little bit more flat. And 12cm, good gracious me.
Interestingly enough, even with 12CM I see no visible differences in the photos. The tech measured my inseam, seat-to-pedal length and my leg angle and said it had to go up 12CM. I thought that was kind of strange as my last fit said I should have been where I was before the +12cm upgrade, but whatever, both feel fine. I just notice that my toes point downward more with the +12cm, and so I was wondering if that indicates the seat is too high. I dont think my hips dont seem to rock though, as is an indicator of a seat too high.

For dropping the seat back down, do you mean drop to the original height, or move it backward? If I drop it down to the original height, my knees hit far more often than at the +12cm height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they raised your seat 12cm ? You mean mm ? 12cm is almost 5 inches.

Did they move the seat backward ?
An Adamo like that, you would probably move the seat 2inches (5cm) back to preserve same angles. Unless you are trying to go more forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike almost looks too small? Or maybe the camera angle
Pointing up is off putting .... I'm assuming 12mm and yes U have a Slight toe point but nothing too drastic... U look bunched up on the upstroke though but are you comfortable ? Sort of looks a bit like a road bike fit, I don't know... Just looks like u need to be lengthened out a bit?
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Critique my bike fit [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
they raised your seat 12cm ? You mean mm ? 12cm is almost 5 inches.

Did they move the seat backward ?
An Adamo like that, you would probably move the seat 2inches (5cm) back to preserve same angles. Unless you are trying to go more forward.

12mm, sorry. The seat is further back than the original seat, but mostly because the Amado is shorter than the original seat. The rail positions are the same as the original seat.
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Critique my bike fit [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Bike almost looks too small? Or maybe the camera angle
Pointing up is off putting .... I'm assuming 12mm and yes U have a Slight toe point but nothing too drastic... U look bunched up on the upstroke though but are you comfortable ? Sort of looks a bit like a road bike fit, I don't know... Just looks like u need to be lengthened out a bit?

It is a 54cm frame and I am 5'8.5". I can try stretching out a bit. I moved the aero bars back toward me a tad on the original fit in an attempt to decrease the angle of my head relative to the ground so I dont have to tilt my neck up so far to see forward. It seems like the disadvantage to stretching out on the bike is that you have to tilt your head progressively higher to see. Ill move the seat back a bit and see how that goes, although it is almost maxed out. I only have about 1/3" before I hit the "max" label on the seat rail.
Last edited by: audiobahn1000: Sep 14, 14 5:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it might be the camera angle, because a 54 should be plenty big enough. The front looks ok, the shoulder/elbow angle etc, but i agree, move the adamo back and sit on the perch of that sucka...can you flip the post maybe? sorry i know nothing about kestrals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what size stem is that? Something looks off and as others said it may be the camera angle but you look really tall and bunched on the bike. But a 54 and in a cervelo at that should be plenty long enough.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you (or your shop) consult the ISM website before installing the saddle? I ask because ISM recomends LOWERING the saddle by 5 mm as starting point as well as moving it back 5 cm. if your shop raised the saddle 12 mm instead, it isn't surprising that you are having issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Video: Critique my bike fit [ddixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I just notice that my toes point downward more with the +12cm, and so I was wondering if that indicates the seat is too high"

yes it does, especially as your foot angle is quite big even with the lower saddle. Your video confirms it for me - pedal stroke lacks smoothness, there seems to be an awkward stretch at the bottom.

Move your saddle back down

Saddle height should be determined by your max/min knee angles. Your knee angle looks plenty big enough with your lower set up but you might want to get it measured accurately (looking for 138 - 148 deg)
Quote Reply