Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle
Quote | Reply
This will be interesting to follow...the guys behind it are interesting profiles to say the least. It's a bold claim whilst not showing any imagery of what it is, but I guess from the inspirations mentioned in the release it could be another Lotus style bike?

http://ventumracing.com/news/ventum-developing-worlds-fastest-triathlon-bicycle/
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [BoomBox73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This should be interesting......

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [BoomBox73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are just going to add an electric motor and voila!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread a couple years ago where some guys were using lots of fast computers to do CFD simulations of a bike design. Is this the same group?

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Feb 5, 15 5:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stuff like this makes me nervous sometimes, in my profession it is a well known concept that you don't push the limits of what is technically accepted unless you absolutely have to. The reasoning is that every time you push against that boundary, the acceptability of everything near that boundary will come under scrutiny and is more likely to be reviewed. If you push too far too often you risk losing not only the item that caused the scrutiny, but everything near that boundary. In this case if a bike is created that is so much faster, it might cause triathlon governing bodies to make a decision about frame legality, and it is entirely possible they could decide to just revert to the accepted standard of UCI legality.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming it is really 20% faster than a P5ish bike, that would be liek 45seconds per 40k

Not a big deal.
There isn't much drag left in the top bikes, so removing even large chunks of what is left isn't a huge amount of time. (for triathlon, for a time trial, pretty huge)

Tulkas wrote:
Stuff like this makes me nervous sometimes, in my profession it is a well known concept that you don't push the limits of what is technically accepted unless you absolutely have to. The reasoning is that every time you push against that boundary, the acceptability of everything near that boundary will come under scrutiny and is more likely to be reviewed. If you push too far too often you risk losing not only the item that caused the scrutiny, but everything near that boundary. In this case if a bike is created that is so much faster, it might cause triathlon governing bodies to make a decision about frame legality, and it is entirely possible they could decide to just revert to the accepted standard of UCI legality.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Feb 5, 15 5:41
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good point. One would assume that wouldn't be enough to force a re-evaluation of the rules. If it were something that made such a difference that you couldn't be competitive without it, then we would be talking.

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just looking on their facebook page. 10000 likes and only 3 posts, one photo of a jet (no other photos).

https://www.facebook.com/ventumracing/timeline

One of the commenters must be a Slowtwitch reader, "Pics or it didn't happen!"

I wish them luck. It's a tough market and to say you are going to out-do everyone else is bold.

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Not a big deal.
There isn't much drag left in the top bikes, so removing even large chunks of what is left isn't a huge amount of time. (for triathlon, for a time trial, pretty huge)
I don't know anything really about aerodynamics, but I keep wondering if someone couldn't find a new frame design that, while remaining legal, somehow controls the airflow over the body better. I.e. make the frame worse on its own, but better as a system with a person on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jack,

You noted that it's difficult to find significant measurable time savings with a frame now.

Do you think the 'Lotus/Cheetah' frame has potential, especially against a Dimond/Falco design or the Cervelo/Trek/other Superbikes?

I guess all of them have potential. It's just a matter of figuring out how to build a frame that brings the potential to race day.

Ventum says their bike will be out by the end of this year. I think we've seen a successful launch of a new product (FLO Wheels) by bringing in the customer to the process and roll-out as the product makes its way to market. With only 10-11 months left in this year, with a vision to have the fastest tri bike in the market, I would think that the marketing machine would be starting to crank up in a big way.

I wish them success and I want to see a really cool bike.

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting. Isnt everyone really trying for that?

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
make the frame worse on its own, but better as a system with a person on it.

Cervelo did that on the P5 with the shape of the seat tube.
When you consider the kind of work (and $) that has gone into the current superbikes it will be stunning if these guys can get a 5% improvement by ignoring UCI
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answering a couple questions at once here:

1. Yes, definitely possible to reduce drag by more than the total drag of a current superbike. See top speed records of faired recumbents. They go 80+ mph! To what degree you can do this within the rules of triathlon or cycling, I don't know.

2. I think that designs like the Dimond and Lotus have potential for sure. While people aren't entirely fond of Dimond's wind tunnel comparison with the p5 so far (due to the tunnel and protocol choice) I think it demonstrates that it is pretty close to a p5. The downtubeless design might be innately superior by a bit. But I don't think *huge* improvements are to be had over P5/FeltIA/etc with these illegal designs. Downtubes and seat tubes can help reduce drag at times, by how they interact with the wheels.

hopefully more wind tunnel tests and field tests of Dimond, Falco, and any upcoming Lotus bikes will reveal more!

Last edited by: jackmott: Feb 5, 15 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Word has it that QR tested various non standard frames on the way to the CD0.1 and Illicito and could not find advantages going to non traditional frames. And they can care less about UCI rules as they see themselves as a pure tri brand.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Word has it that QR tested various non standard frames on the way to the CD0.1 and Illicito and could not find advantages going to non traditional frames. And they can care less about UCI rules as they see themselves as a pure tri brand.

Right, and Cervelo has hinted at there not being big gains to be had either.

But, solution spaces are large and searching them completely is hard.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Define fastest. What does that word mean? In this context? On the road vs. the wind tunnel?
The fastest bike is the one the fits the individual the best AND the one that the individual enjoys riding.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The fastest bike is the one the fits the individual the best AND the one that the individual enjoys riding.

Nope. Ask Graeme Obree.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themuse1 wrote:
I was just looking on their facebook page. 10000 likes and only 3 posts, one photo of a jet (no other photos).

About a $250 investment with a "like" farm.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [cerebis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ventum has an advertisement in the new issue of Triathlete magazine

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it me, or is anyone growing weary of hearing about 'the fastest' whatever?

What we know is: there is no standard testing protocol to see what's fastest. So no matter what they produce, it will be the fastest, according to their tests. And it will not be fastest according to other tests.

The gains, if any, will be marginal. The price tag / increase will not be marginal. Not interested.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks interesting too..

Did the lotus road bikes have a triangle ? Would be cool to just have beam bike tail and lotus front end but maybe thats too floppy.
The track Lotus also had a tail thing to shroud more of the top of the back tyre which vould work here now that back brakes are accepted under the bb

All this said....I'm suddenly reminded by that bike called bp stealth or something like that...and what was that mongoose badge bike Larson rode?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as it looks like the shiznit, thats cool with me. Most of the current super bikes look like donkey poo.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Track and road lotus' were identical, except for the dropouts.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum - Developing World's Fastest Triathlon Bicycle [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Precisely, an updated Lotus/Hotta with integrated brakes, optimised front end etc. would be sex on wheels...
The shape (Z or Y) 'looks' way faster than the Falco/Dimond (V) beam style...
If the differences are marginal, or yaw dependent so we're splitting hairs, and you're in the market for a new frame then what's not to like?

SteveMc
Quote Reply

Prev Next