Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
VeloVie
Quote | Reply
I have been seeing VeloVie adds on ST lately, and some of the frames seem really nice. Specifically the Veloce 500. Is this a Chinese frame sold under a new or different name? Or a Taiwanese frame producer? Does anybody have a VeloVie and can share some comments?

For $1899 the Veloce 500 seems like a decent buy...
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [user123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VeloVie frames are open mold frames just painted with a companies name on it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Veloce 500, got it in March.

It is an open mould. There are about 10 other companies selling the same frame. But the VeloVie has the nicest paintjob and basebars IMO. The price is incredible.

Yes, it's an open mould and it would be ideal to have something uniquely designed, but at the end of the day, pretty much all frames are produced in the same factories, even those from the high end companies. There are many people on this forum riding on open mould frames and they are just as good as anything else. Is it as aerodynamic or as well thought out as say, a P5 or Shiv or Plasma or SpeedConcept...no, but it's still a great bike.

I've been really happy with mine.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, Open Mould frame means a generic frame that any company can buy and brand?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, correct. There are factories in Asia that produce these frames. Some factories sell them directly to the consumer, others as branded bikes to companies. Many frames are very close copies of big brand bikes.

Take a look at this thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...?post=3847975;page=1

Last edited by: Staer: Jun 7, 14 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are these frames x-rayed prior to being sold? I may be wrong, but I understood higher end frames like Cervelo x-ray the frame for quality control. Is that the case with Velovie?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea, you would have to ask them.

They might not even know, as they are simply buying from the factory. But given that so many companies are using these frames - including some well known names - I think they are good quality.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who are these companies you keep talking about?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stevens, Stradalli, Planet X, Axus, Olmo, Koga, Starley, KindHuman, Fondriest, DeVinci

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be wrong, but I understood higher end frames like Cervelo x-ray the frame for quality control.

I don't know of any high-end frames that are x-rayed for quality control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think of them as a third party in a transaction from china, if you have an issue you can deal directly with them and they should also increase the quality control of the products. To me they seem to be a good deal but not such a good deal it raises eyebrows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bikes look good. The frame is one aspect and the components another. Their SRAM red package price is good. I have been looking at them for my next road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been emailing with VeloVie as I am still interested in this frame. As per VeloVie...

"The Veloce 500 frameset is exclusive to VeloVie, we don't use any open mold designs in our products"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw their booth at Leadman. The frame with the semi recessed headset looked pretty sweet. They swear up and down that they don't use open mold - but some of their previous offerings certainly seem like it
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said - its hard to deny how similar (i.e. exactly the same) they look

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I concur. Exactly the same... Would love to hear from a VeloVie rep... Open invitation.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are 100% lying to you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the paint job on the VeloVie version. The black with red strip works pretty well.

I wouldn't get too bothered by the fact that they deny open molds. Pretty much every budget company that re-brands frames denies this. Some go to great lengths to lie. It is rather humorous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

That puts me off right away. Don't mind open mould frames myself, I ride a Planet X for my sins, but lying directly to your face is a bit of a no no really!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be bothered by it either. They all make grand claims on their websites and PR material. All have their own branded version of the carbon layup, just like the big brands do. "Carbon Axis Formula", "Brand X super integrated mono aerohydralithic headset", etc etc.

At the end of the day, it's a good quality, full carbon, aerodynamic frame that looks badass and goes fast, if your legs are willing to! The VeloVie looks awesome in person. It's seriously menacing but also eye catching with the red highlights. And the details in the decals on the frame are really nice too. Gloss black logos on the matte black is really sexy, and nice text lockups in red make it even nicer to look at, they clearly had a decent graphic designer working on it. It doesn't feel cheap.

With the Veloce 500, be warned there is not much adjustability with the bars. Luckily, you can switch them out with something from Profile Design for example, that has a lot of fit options. This frame is designed to be slammed and aggressive.

Just a note - there are pros riding on open mould frames. A number of them sponsored by Stevens, DeVinci, Starley and other companies - I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw a photo from a recent 70.3 where one of the male pros was riding that frame. So it's all good.

Last edited by: Staer: Jun 11, 14 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
BryanD wrote:
That puts me off right away.
Not defending as I have bought open mold frames from China but in the case of VeloVie, Stradelli, et al, I think it is more a matter of marketing spin with lots of shades of grey. While generally each of us can source/purchase these product from a trading company in China, typically we are not dealing directly with the actual manufacturer but a subsidiary or partner of the manufacturer (often times co-located in the same complex). Even if shipping/export may well fall to the hands of the same companies that we the consumer deal with when purchasing direct from China, VeloVie, Stradelli, Steven's etc, have established relationships directly with/deal exclusively with the actual manufacturers. Finally, while we have come to view these products as 'open molds', in many instances if companies like Planet X, VeloVie, Stradelli, Stevens..., did not contract for X number of frames each year, then the manufacturer would likely not be inclined to proceed with a production run meaning we would not have the choices of where to purchase these frames.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Jun 11, 14 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try to dig up the thread where the Velovie owner was getting roasted by Slowtwitch and was asked to provide tunnel data and he never came back to respond. Save your money and spend it on companies who actually do the research and development. Be proud of the bike you own instead of riding a repainted copy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's obvious that they're lying and full of crap. It's also obvious that their reps haven't the slightest idea what they're talking about (I was soooooooooo tempted to take one down the rabbit hole with me at Leadman, but didn't).

That said - their bikes look nice enough and you can get it to fit with very little aero penalty (imo) simply by using a different aerobar setup.

I would probably opt for the "blank mold" from China and not sweat the logos though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agreed!
Hey teammate! :-)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next