Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Vegan Experiences?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone eaten a low fat vegan diet for a few years, had sleep issues, then added animal protein back into their diets to fix their sleep patterns? If so, why did it work?
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Experiences? [BonusTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BonusTri wrote:
Has anyone eaten a low fat vegan diet for a few years, had sleep issues, then added animal protein back into their diets to fix their sleep patterns? If so, why did it work?

Having lost sleep worrying about vegan relatives who are always ill, I would suggest that a vegan diet, which is also a low fat diet, is bloody stupid.

No wonder it caused sleep issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any of my vegan experiences involved little to no actual sleeping.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Wesley37 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Wesley37: Jan 23, 15 8:40
Re: Vegan Experiences? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
Any of my vegan experiences involved little to no actual sleeping.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As seen on Twitter -

SheltonJennJan 20, 9:22pm via Twitter for iPhone
Hey athletes with batshit diet philosophies. Sleep is more important. love, J$

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been on a low fat vegan diet for a number of years and no sleep issues besides what I have always had. I have struggled with insomnia off and on since my teens and I find valerian root works wonders.

Not sure why some people think eating body parts is so superior...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, what is the reason you're avoiding fat?

--
Justin Clark | Catalyst Cycling | Twitter | Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Experiences? [Tri-Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mark wrote:
I have been on a low fat vegan diet for a number of years and no sleep issues besides what I have always had. I have struggled with insomnia off and on since my teens and I find valerian root works wonders.

i don't have a problem with a vegan diet, perfectly reasonable ethical stance to take, but why low fat?

I'm on a high animal fat, high vegetable fat, high protein, high carbohydrate, high alcohol diet and I sleep fine.

Yesterday in protest against the fact the supermarket does not sell cigarettes without making you go to a separate kiosk and the namby government's plans to enforce plain packaging, I bought a packet and thoroughly enjoyed a Marlboro after my very dolphin unfriendly tuna steak starter and very rare steak main course. Then I downed some really nice Brie and a bottle of Chianti at room temperature and slept really well right through from midnight till 9am.

What is valerian? Is that something women take when they can't sleep?
Last edited by: Trev: Jan 23, 15 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mark wrote:

Well it isn't that so much as being vegan limits your diet enough that a few nutrients can be hard to get, like B12. Not impossible of course but a little thought will be required.

Further limiting what you can eat by trying to keep fat low may introduce even more difficulties in getting certain nutrients, or even enough calories at all.

Perhaps you aren't keeping fat that low, or being careful enough to get all the nutrients you need with a low fat, vegan diet.

Vegan diets tend to be low fat enough, so making an effort to be even more low fat may not be productive.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mark wrote:

Taste. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been vegan for 3 years with no changes in my sleep patterns. Based on the nature of what I eat, it's normally pretty low fat but it's not a restriction (I'll eat peanut butter by the jar). Not sure if you mean even more restricted fat or just a typical vegan diet that is normally low on fat.

As Jack pointed out B12 is really the only vitamin I worry about getting but it's easy enough to get in enriched vegan milk (like coconut and soy). Perhaps that's the issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Experiences? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Tri-Mark wrote:

Well it isn't that so much as being vegan limits your diet enough that a few nutrients can be hard to get, like B12. Not impossible of course but a little thought will be required.

Further limiting what you can eat by trying to keep fat low may introduce even more difficulties in getting certain nutrients, or even enough calories at all.

Perhaps you aren't keeping fat that low, or being careful enough to get all the nutrients you need with a low fat, vegan diet.

Vegan diets tend to be low fat enough, so making an effort to be even more low fat may not be productive.

Couple of points. Being a vegan provides more food choices. The beef, chicken, pork, fish cycle is far more limiting in choice.
B12 is plentiful and really - difficulty getting nutrients? Plants are far more nutrient dense than dead animals.
Fat provides pretty close to zero nutrients and yes I keep fat intake low by rarely adding fat to my foods.
Lots of plant foods are fairly high in calories - with the appetite brought on by triathlon training it easier to over eat than under eat.

Judging by your statements ideas ideas of nutrition appear to be really outdated and mostly inaccurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mark wrote:
Being a vegan provides more food choices. The beef, chicken, pork, fish cycle is far more limiting in choice.

What?

no I'm sorry

WHAT??

so if you eat beef chicken pork and fish you cannot possibly consume any of the things a vegan consumes?

You do realize that just by noting that someone who isn't vegan can in fact eat those 4 items automatically means they have at the very least 4 more choices right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mark wrote:
Being a vegan provides more food choices.

While I understand very well that being Vegan need not be detrimental to health or athletic performance, I can't help but point out this this claim violates some basic principles of set theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_theory

Given that set theory is sort of foundational for all of mathematics I'm not sure where we go from here.

Anyway, ignoring that, yes, B12 is sometimes a problem for some vegans who are not aware that they need to be sure they get it. Plant sources of B12 exist but not everyone eats them in sufficient amounts if they don't know to seek them out.

sources:
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

https://www.vegansociety.com/...cts/what-every-vegan

http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-vitamin-B12.html

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.php

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who eats vegan and cares about their well being has a few screws loose. I was going to be blunt but it is Friday so I will take it easy today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A vegan diet shouldn't be "low fat." There's a lot of healthy fats in nuts, coconut butter, coconut oil, etc. Also, B-12 is easy to supplement with a spray. I never felt better the 3 years I ate vegan, which was when I had my best IM performances. If I had more time (and more $$$) I'd be all over it again. Sleep was never an issue; I'm asleep within seconds of hitting the pillow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been vegan for nearly 3 years now, but I wouldn't say that my diet is particularly low fat. I eat plenty of avocados, nuts, peanut butter, etc.

I find I sleep better now than before I became vegan, and my recovery from tough workouts or races is also significantly improved. It may be from the diet or the improved sleep, but likely a combination of both.

I personally take a B12 supplement, but I have to say that I was probably far more nutrient deficient when I wasn't vegan. I eat a much greater volume and variety of fruits and vegetables than I did before. I don't think it matters what diet you subscribe to, if you don't take care in what you eat, you will likely have some sort of nutrient deficiency.
Last edited by: rlanger: Jan 23, 15 13:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mark wrote:
Plants are far more nutrient dense than dead animals.

Who says we wait until they're dead?
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Experiences? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to go out on a limb and re-phrase for Tri-Mark: it's not that eating vegan necessarily provides more choice, as you are correct, mathematically, that makes no sense. However, it would probably be a very fair statement, in my experience at least, that those who eat meat generally choose to not eat as wide a variety of foods as vegans do. Vegans tend to get very creative with their day-to-day meal planning, partly out of necessity.

The anecdotal "proof" is the sheer confusion displayed by non-vegan parents when their kids go vegan. It's a whole different style of cooking and, when you do it right and dig into it, it really puts paid to the notion that the meat & potato diet we all grew up eating was anywhere near as healthy as we were told.

For the record, I am not vegan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does being a vegan provide more food choices. I can eat everything a vegan eats, plus i can eat all of the meat variety available. I did not know they changed the way addition and subtraction is applied, but i would venture to guess that eating everything provides more choices than just eating a vegan diet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am vegan but I do more like 60 30 10 carb/fat/protein and I love it! Wouldn't change a thing! I would add more plant protein and maybe look at b12 if you're a vegan see if that helps
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Experiences? [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been a vegan since about 1:30 pm today. I'll probably stop sometime this evening.

I don't know why I'm telling you this, other than isn't the first rule about being a vegan is to always talk about being a vegan.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Experiences? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
I've been a vegan since about 1:30 pm today. I'll probably stop sometime this evening..

LMAOO that's funny did you get protein deficiency too? LOLOLL no but for real vegans talk about veganism cuz they love it. Vegan =love!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mark wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Tri-Mark wrote:

Couple of points. Being a vegan provides more food choices. The beef, chicken, pork, fish cycle is far more limiting in choice.
B12 is plentiful and really - difficulty getting nutrients? Plants are far more nutrient dense than dead animals.
Fat provides pretty close to zero nutrients and yes I keep fat intake low by rarely adding fat to my foods.
Lots of plant foods are fairly high in calories - with the appetite brought on by triathlon training it easier to over eat than under eat.

Judging by your statements ideas ideas of nutrition appear to be really outdated and mostly inaccurate.

you dumb bro? fats are essential for absorption of certain vitamins , provide elements for hormone function, etc etc. Now if you cook or heavily process fats, you pretty much destroy all those good elements
Quote Reply

Prev Next