Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa training plans
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a Vasa Trainer due to my closest pool being an hour away. Does anyone have any training plans/workouts they could recommend? I have the Kansas 70.3 and Boulder IM and a few smaller races planned this summer. Thanks in advance.....
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa training plans [Wldbil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see some, too. I own a Vasa Trainer and used it to stay fit for surfing during the flat months. Now, I've been doing these workouts, but was wondering if there's something else.

Just keep swimming...

SebastianAravena.com | facebook | RODS Racing
Rudy Project | Slick Products | Duro Tires | Globe | Ride Live be. | A3 Bar | Tri-Flow | LifeProof | Totally Local
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 3 workouts in the training for ironman PDF on the vasa website under training resources are really good workouts. I especially like the workout where you warmup, then to 8 times 1 minute with one arm. Then you do 5 x 200 on level 1,2,3,2,1. This workout takes me around 40 minutes and is a really good workout.

There is a "swimervals" DVD that you can get from spinervals - it is very difficult, though. I really like just doing sets of 250's with about 30 seconds rest in between.

I also got a good idea from the 'one hour workouts in a binder book' called 'jump outs'. Anyway, I adapted this for the vasa and you do 50m hard and then jump off the vasa and do a set of a strength training exercise or a set of jumping jacks or jump rope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vasa just tweeted something about a plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you training just on the Vasa Trainer? Great tool for working on form and build swim specific strength. The training sessions should be based on your: current level of fitness, stroke biomechanics and functional ROM to start. Would be happy to discuss further if you wish.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa training plans [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the Swimervals DVD!!! Wish they would do more! The two workouts on the DVD, as Jon pointed out, are difficult. However when I do one of them at least once a week I can feel a HUGE improvement when i'm in the water. There are workouts on the Vasa website. http://vasatrainer.com/...athlon-coaching.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like doing ladder workouts on the Vasa. 100 easy, 100 medium, third 100 all out, and back down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thought this was interesting myself and to share to those newbies.
History: starting using the vasa ergo at july working on building up to door setting 7. Prior to this no swimming in a pool for 18mth. In the past 10 mths no pool swimming only time I touch the water was in a race. Now nearly a year later back to the vasa to build for the next 70.3 season, so I will have some residue base from my just gone season with the first race in Sept. This time I am aiming for the 70.3 world qualifier on a podium, not on a roll down slot. No training plan purchased or the build phase which is currently 1 week old and 4 weeks since my last OD race during which it has been run/bike. Now serious AeT zone 2 work for 3 weeks till I get to 16 weeks out from A race, then I will buy into Dave Scotts training peaks plan for the build peak taper advance 15hr week. All my vasa AeT work will be accordingly to race distance in this case 2187y, the bike 2.5hrs, the run 90mins all in AeT zone 2 for another 2weeks.

Today: 2187y 36:55mins 1:41/100m Pw:Hr 63.7% 58watts 91aveHr (max108) 42spm... compared to Monday's 1st session
.....2187y 40:16........1:45/100y........... 65% 54w 83Hr

The reason in sharing this is for those newbies starting out is will take several months to build up to door setting 7. Through my reading with Maffatone, Joe Friel, Alan Couzans, et al lots of qulaity consistent AeT will pay off when it come to the peak period in the plan.

Anyway I though it was interesting.

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa training plans [gmurnock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmurnock wrote:
I love the Swimervals DVD!!! Wish they would do more! The two workouts on the DVD, as Jon pointed out, are difficult. However when I do one of them at least once a week I can feel a HUGE improvement when i'm in the water. There are workouts on the Vasa website. http://vasatrainer.com/...athlon-coaching.html

The ST poster known as lightheir is a huge proponent of the Vasa and has dramatically improved his swimming with it. He has been using the "Spinervals" cycling DVDs as well as watching movies while working out on the Vasa. He has prob 100 or more posts on the Vasa in the past 3 yrs or so, if you do a search.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply