Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Van dessel TT frame
Quote | Reply
Hey guys... I am considering buying this frame, almost new, for 550 (w/ fork, seatpost, headset)

What do you guys think? ANyone know about this frame? Is the price fair?

Here's geometry of dessel:

Size 54

Seat tube c-t 49

top tube c-c 53.5

head tube 11.5

head angle 73

seat angle 76

chainstay 39.5-40.5

BB drop 7.7

wheelbase 98.1

Here's the QR I'm coming from:

size ML

frame size c-c 44.5

top tube 53.7

head tube 12.7

head angle 72.5

seat angle 76

chainstay length 40

wheelbase 99.2

standover 73.8

front center??? 60.2

BB DROp 6.8
Can someone help me decipher this? It seems that the TT will be a bit shorter, which is something I am not sure I like, as I already may feel a bit cramped on the old QR, however, I could get a longer stem? Seat angle is the same, and headtube seems shorter on the dessel, which will get me lower.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by: moose8500: Apr 14, 06 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Van dessel TT frame [moose8500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The top tube is 2mm longer; I doubt you could tell the difference. The seat angle is the same. The headtube is about 1 centimeter shorter. What are you hoping to achieve with the new bike? If it is a lower position, then just change out your stem. If you think the bike looks cool and have extra money then buy it, but don't expect to go any faster.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Van dessel TT frame [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it is mostly because this new frame has internal routing, a very aero downtube, and a cutout, which my QR do not have.

I do not really want to change my geometry that much, parhaps getting a bit lower, which as you mentioned I can go on the other frame as well, but mostly get this aero downtube, seat tube cuttout, internal routing for a low price. In your opinion, is those reasons not worth it? I will post a pic of my QR, it is a 0 gravity, so it is basically a road bike with tri geometry, and has no aero features.

What to you guys think? More opinions on the frame? Stupid reasons to "upgrade"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You realize you can get the Project PR (frame+fork+hs) for $625 shipped. I talked with Van Dessel about the improvements from the Tidjrit model and it is worth buying the Project PR. I'd be negotiating for a lower price on this frame if your still interested. If you want more specifics, PM me directly.

Rowdy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your opinion, is those reasons not worth it? I will post a pic of my QR, it is a 0 gravity, so it is basically a road bike with tri geometry, and has no aero features.

If you plan to ride without waterbottles anywhere on the frame, then you might gain a few seconds with the aero tube and cutout. You asked for an opinion so here it is: Of the "big four" features that keep scrolling across the top of the page the only one that really matters is the less than 30mm diameter one. If you are riding a round-tubed bike then you probably already have that. The rest are mostly marketing. One guy does something cool and everyone has to follow suit to compete.

If you put a bottle on the down-tube then you waste that tubes properties. Same with the seat tube and the cut-out. They become superfluous.

It took me a while to admit that the difference between me riding 1:03 in a 40K O-distance ride and the guys riding under an hour was not the bike. For the money and effort you will put into it, you won't see much, if any, change in your speed.

Chad

P.S. Internal cable routing is a reason for me to sell a frame, not buy one. It is not fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Van dessel TT frame [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man.... I agree 100% with all your comments, I'll be keeping my 0 gravity for now until I can afford a carbon wonderbike that can really get me lower and more aero, opposed to this which is basically what I have now...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can check on this but I believe you cannot use 700 x 23 tires on this frame or they may rub the cutout. I ride a VD campitello, or did, but I've seen the older TT frame sellers and buyers warn about that very issue.
Quote Reply