Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
aero road bikes make no sense to me because they're not very aero.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Oct 18, 14 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Lol I know i don't get it. Isn't the point of riding your road bike for the hills? aero road bikes make no sense to me because they're not very aero. I want a tt bike for when being aero is an advantage and a road bike for when being light is an advantage. I understand if you're a pro and have minimum weight cause you have to have the weight. A 13lb aero road would probably be a similar amount of money. Like honestly the frame doesn't make as much drag as your body does extensions and base bar would be more aero and lighter if you really are making an aero road

I sincerely hope people think just like you do. I will continue to ride my Felt AR ... see you at the finish.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets just hope others do not see the new position studies done where riding the hoods is faster than riding the drops. But then again I know someone on this thread that would disagree with that as well.

Ride Faster Instantly
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Lets just hope others do not see the new position studies done where riding the hoods is faster than riding the drops. But then again I know someone on this thread that would disagree with that as well.

Ride Faster Instantly

Yeah...but did you see that drops position with the straight locked arms? Oy vey...

My take on that test is it was a good argument for generally higher bars (so arms are bent in the drops with same torso position).

"Bend your arms, dammit!" ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:

Ride Faster Instantly

If the center position in the top picture counts as "in the drops" then sure. Based on my n=1 I'd say the proper way to do so would also be with your elbows more bent and that position should be at least about equal to bent elbows on the hoods.
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beat me to it. Exactly.
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
Yea they had different helmets, body weight, body shape, one had deep sections, polly had different wind conditions and slightly different power as well too. A single 10 minute trial of 2 riders from using different gear isn't enough data to draw accurate conclusions about the frames polly. If you have to do the minimum weight then I see the point of aero road but I can tell the difference of carrying extra water etc. Granted it's negligible compared to drag but the frame itself probably isn't making as much drag as a few pounds saved would for performance in a lot of conditions. Idk tho I'd need more data to draw conclusions but I'm skeptical of aero road

They both rode each bike once. Even without this test there have been tons of previous tests. And a few grams of drag make much more difference than weight in every situation other than going uphill. Once you get up to speed on the flat weight essentially becomes irrelevant, it only plays a role in acceleration.

And downhill.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
Staz wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
Yea they had different helmets, body weight, body shape, one had deep sections, polly had different wind conditions and slightly different power as well too. A single 10 minute trial of 2 riders from using different gear isn't enough data to draw accurate conclusions about the frames polly. If you have to do the minimum weight then I see the point of aero road but I can tell the difference of carrying extra water etc. Granted it's negligible compared to drag but the frame itself probably isn't making as much drag as a few pounds saved would for performance in a lot of conditions. Idk tho I'd need more data to draw conclusions but I'm skeptical of aero road

They both rode each bike once. Even without this test there have been tons of previous tests. And a few grams of drag make much more difference than weight in every situation other than going uphill. Once you get up to speed on the flat weight essentially becomes irrelevant, it only plays a role in acceleration.

And downhill.

You got me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you 100% and was thinking the same thing when I read the article. If you could use the drops with the horizontal arm position that would be better. Now put that position on a bike that is aero and you are doing better than a bike that is not aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I agree with you 100% and was thinking the same thing when I read the article. If you could use the drops with the horizontal arm position that would be better. Now put that position on a bike that is aero and you are doing better than a bike that is not aero.

Plus, with an aero road bar ;-) ...of course, it would also help if someone made an aero road bar with a "standard drop". All this compact drop stuff is maddening :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
compact drop is cool if you're 5'8, and a 51cm size bike looks much better if the drops don't overlap the front wheel. aesthetics are important :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
...of course, it would also help if someone made an aero road bar with a "standard drop". All this compact drop stuff is maddening :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that the 0.4 kph difference in favor of the "aero bike" could be attributed to the wheels. The test would then indicate that there is no difference between the two framesets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you take into account how un aero standard bike frames are - some have incredibly fat tubes which make the bike less aero than a 1960s / 1980s steel frame - then the savings of an aero frame are a must. I have seen a test where an old steel frame was compared to an aero frame in a wind tunnel, same wheels same position, and the aero frame was about a minute faster over 40k than the steel frame. Now think how a fat carbon non aero frame would be even slower than the thin steel frame.

I will try to find the link.

When you get to my age you realise that bike frames have been getting stiffer particularly around the bottom bracket by about 5% every year since about 1970. Those old steel bikes must have been incredibly floppy.

The tyre pressure and position on the bike is what you can feel on a bike more than anything else.
Last edited by: Richard H: Oct 19, 14 2:12
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [Richard H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the link.

Same rider same wheels.

Watch it then think how un aero a fat tubed non aero frame must be.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XE_GKePa3CQ
Last edited by: Richard H: Oct 19, 14 2:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of the difference could be from the fork and handlebars...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Lol I know i don't get it. Isn't the point of riding your road bike for the hills? aero road bikes make no sense to me because they're not very aero. I want a tt bike for when being aero is an advantage and a road bike for when being light is an advantage. I understand if you're a pro and have minimum weight cause you have to have the weight. A 13lb aero road would probably be a similar amount of money. Like honestly the frame doesn't make as much drag as your body does extensions and base bar would be more aero and lighter if you really are making an aero road

I'm not the resident expert, but I think what you are missing is that a, say, 16 pound aero road bike will almost always be faster than a 13 pound non-aero road bike, -including- on courses that have lots of hills. And the same applies to wheels, heavier aero is faster than shallow light weight wheels. The weight just doesn't matter as much as marketing would lead you to believe.

Even Cervelo used to have a write-up on their sit a while back explaining that their heavier aero road bike was always faster than their more expensive super light non-aero frames, except for situations like time trialing up Alp D'huez, etc.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [fb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fb wrote:
A lot of the difference could be from the fork and handlebars...

little bit here, little bit there.
grab ALL THE BITS

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing.

I remember seeing someone on this forum, possibly Damon Rinard, saying that some of the new non-aero bikes, including one from Giant I think, tested among the slowest bikes they ever tested. Really I don't understand why not have an aero bike especially if it is equivalent weight. I know Canyon for example makes their Aeroad bike ranging from just above to just below 7 kg, including aero wheels, so with "climbing wheels" the bikes would weigh the same as any of the uci legal "climbing bikes".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the UCI you have a minimum weight a bike can weigh. If you can only get a bike down to 6800g then why not have the most aero 6800g bike that you can have. For those that do not have to follow such rules, then you can still have a bike that is lighter and aero. I thought the article was funny because these days, a "climbing bike" and a "light bike" CAN be the same bike.

There are a lot of options out there right now for AERO bikes that could be built up very light. I do not even have the lightest version of SLC that Cervelo made so moving to the lighter version frame, changing out my wheels for tubulars and making some lighter component changes that moves the bike into the 11 lbs range. I am sure that would classify the bike in regards to weight as a climbing bike. Then you still have to cheat the wind as much as possible until you hit the tipping point while climbing. You still have to get to the climb as fast as possible and you still have to go down the backside (unless you finish at the top).

Specialized did a test on positions for descending and they found that there was a 7-8 kph difference in position choices and couple that with descending on an aero bike vs a non aero bike and you could have the difference of close to 10 kph. So if I descend on an aero road bike in the most aero tuck position I can be dong 80 kph instead of 70 kph which I am more than happy with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I thought the article was funny because these days, a "climbing bike" and a "light bike" CAN be the same bike.

This. Exactly my thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: VN: Aero bikes vs. Climbing bikes. GCN video [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There we go...that's more like it. I think I would need to try those down sloping tops sections though to see if that would work for me...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
With the UCI you have a minimum weight a bike can weigh. If you can only get a bike down to 6800g then why not have the most aero 6800g bike that you can have.

Why not? Well, for a LOT of people, pros included, their perception is that aero bikes just aren't light enough, are too stiff in the rear! and too flexy torsionally. I'm convinced that most of those perceptions are actually just visual. People are funny...

Quote:
Specialized did a test on positions for descending and they found that there was a 7-8 kph difference in position choices and couple that with descending on an aero bike vs a non aero bike and you could have the difference of close to 10 kph. So if I descend on an aero road bike in the most aero tuck position I can be dong 80 kph instead of 70 kph which I am more than happy with.

Taylor Phinney says "Hello" to you from Santa Barabara ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Richard,

Exactly. Since the days of steel frames, bikes have gotten both better ... and worse!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am convinced that an aero bike will be faster- for climbing and everything else.
Just need to find the right aero bike.
If the S5 turns out to ride as nicely as the S3 (old S5 did not), I will get an S5.
If not, I will get an S3.
I am actually hoping for the S5 as the new geometry will fit me better than current S3 geometry.
Damon? Any idea how the S5 and S3 stack up in terms of ride quality?
Either way I will be riding faster-
Quote Reply

Prev Next