Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using Xenon????
Quote | Reply
Hi all. This is my first post and I've seen others address this topic before, but I was just wondering if there was any new info out there on using Xenon for training. I was at a local fitness expo this past weekend and there was a booth that let you try xenon for free--I think it was called Xenair or something--it seems weird, but I did about a 10mile run the day after I tried breathing it for about 5 minutes and I felt like I was faster and could go further with more endurance. Maybe this is just some placebo effect--but has anyone had an experience like this? I'm thinking of subscribing to this xenon company, but am a little wary, it seemed to work but it was just one time and it's kind of $$$.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Xenon???? [Twitchy75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xenon is last year's performance enhancing gas, this year it's all about helium.

Xenon is great in my car headlights though, if I could get a xenon bike light that would be cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twitchy75 wrote:
Hi all. This is my first post and I've seen others address this topic before, but I was just wondering if there was any new info out there on using Xenon for training. I was at a local fitness expo this past weekend and there was a booth that let you try xenon for free--I think it was called Xenair or something--it seems weird, but I did about a 10mile run the day after I tried breathing it for about 5 minutes and I felt like I was faster and could go further with more endurance. Maybe this is just some placebo effect--but has anyone had an experience like this? I'm thinking of subscribing to this xenon company, but am a little wary, it seemed to work but it was just one time and it's kind of $$$.

LOL, what kind of "fitness expo" were you at?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you, by chance, wear a mirror on your bike helmet when you race?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we turned down ad requests for a xenon seller a month or two ago, because we did not think advertising a banned substance was appropriate. so, because of your (first) post, now it's more obvious where someone can get the product, and as long as they don't mind that it's a banned substance (banned for competition, i suppose it's not banned to sell and ingest if you're not competing).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Using Xenon???? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, being an inert gas, there doesn't seem to be any way they could test for this. This is one of those rules that truly is on the "honor" system. Hopefully people respect the rules enough to leave this stuff alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Xenon???? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression they would test for elevated hematocrit.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Xenon???? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it's banned, but I liked the way I felt it enhanced my performance, and it seemed to work immediately but I'm just wondering if that's placebo. What does helium do?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by mauricemaher [ In reply to ]
Re: Using Xenon???? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
I was under the impression they would test for elevated hematocrit.

They'll test protour riders through the biological passport. But that is a small percentage of athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Xenon in my ion thrusters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just ask the guys at the office? If you're selling it someone should know what it does...

And since triathlon is swimming, running, and biking you could have just stuck with your original story of it taking 1/4 time off your usual bike ride... as opposed to the run story...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Znaio_4b6BAJ:forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php%3Fp%3D1552882+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Last edited by: jeffoffline: Aug 19, 14 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Using Xenon???? [jeffoffline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffoffline wrote:
Why not just ask the guys at the office? If you're selling it someone should know what it does...

And since triathlon is swimming, running, and biking you could have just stuck with your original story of it taking 1/4 time off your usual bike ride... as opposed to the run story...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Znaio_4b6BAJ:forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php%3Fp%3D1552882+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Haha, nice find.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Xenon???? [MichaelT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um yeah, and if after my swim tomorrow I notice any type of difference I may post on a swimming forum to see if I can get some honest responses and info to help me decide if I want to buy this. And I'm a woman. Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're using just for 'you're own personal use' does that make it less banned?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twitchy75 wrote:
Um yeah, and if after my swim tomorrow I notice any type of difference I may post on a swimming forum to see if I can get some honest responses and info to help me decide if I want to buy this. And I'm a woman. Thanks so much!

Are you shilling for this company? Because please stop, and please take down the name of this product and pref. your whole post. You've had your warning from Slowman.

Honest response is that Xe doping may help, but it's not recommended for several reasons. First, it's a banned substance by all the sports regulatory bodies. Studies have mostly been done on rats/mice. It used to be an anaesthetic (still may be for some cancer patients), but was too expensive when alternatives like nitrous oxide came along. Used improperly, you will probably become punch drunk and shouldn't be operating any machinery, bicycles, or do any running and swimming after. Use too much and you may asphyxiate, like all non-oxygen gases. OTOH, you're possibly being sold a can of air with trace (maybe) Xe and getting the placebo effect. B/c no way is any regulatory body signing off on that stuff.

The Xe likely persists for some time. And yes, to answer someone else's question, there are tests for it. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/...31E37DA9E222D.f04t01
Better tests are under development. Detecting Xe above ambient ~100 ppb levels isn't that hard, especially when therapeutic levels will be easily seen off of someone's urine, blood, spit, and/or expired air.
-J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Using Xenon???? [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much would you have to take to asphyxiate? Has this ever happened to anyone? To be honest, after I tried it I felt like when I had nitrous oxide at the dentist for about a minute after, but then that went away, and maybe it wasn't really that dramatic of a feeling. I didn't really exercise much for the rest of that day, not because I didn't feel well, just because it was later and I planned on it the next day. Have you tried it? How long will the xenon stay in your blood?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many people have to tell you that you are an idiot before you realize that maybe you are?

Twitchy75 wrote:
How much would you have to take to asphyxiate? Has this ever happened to anyone? To be honest, after I tried it I felt like when I had nitrous oxide at the dentist for about a minute after, but then that went away, and maybe it wasn't really that dramatic of a feeling. I didn't really exercise much for the rest of that day, not because I didn't feel well, just because it was later and I planned on it the next day. Have you tried it? How long will the xenon stay in your blood?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply