Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Using Supplements During Training
Quote | Reply
What are your thoughts on taking supplements during training to maintain immune system health and help speed recovery?

We're a newer sports supplement company that's designed a pack of products for endurance athletes. Many athletes have different views and opinions and we wanted to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Train hard and we look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [EnduroPacksTeam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pee glowers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is the evidence that normally healthy people need to take supplements for their immune system?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they are a waste of time and money.

I think the market is saturated already. Best of luck with your business venture.

The biggest problem that your whole market has is the fact it is based upon one BIG LIE.. There are 36 billion honey bees out there producing a natural product that is cheap, tasty, and effective. Nothing man made can come close to 100% pure local honey.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to your web page..

That stuff scares me! A patch? A spray? All those vial looking containers. I feel un healthy just looking at it!! Why in gods name would I need to induce all those chemicals into my body?!?

Perhaps I am one of the few, but I consider a post ride boat of oatmeal with fruit a solid supplement.

IF I was going to buy something like your product, I would just go ahead and find something illegal that I KNEW was going to work!!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnduroPacksTeam wrote:
What are your thoughts on taking supplements during training to maintain immune system health and help speed recovery?

We're a newer sports supplement company that's designed a pack of products for endurance athletes. Many athletes have different views and opinions and we wanted to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Train hard and we look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Did I see on your site that Bryan Lamb was on your team?
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
I went to your web page..
, but I consider a post ride boat of oatmeal with fruit a solid supplement.

That's a whole lot of oatmeal.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried EnduroPacks specifically (hard to find in Canada) but in general I've found a proper diet and sleep to have a bigger impact than any supplement I've tried (Vega, EFS, OTC multivitamin)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to see someone using oatmeal as recovery food. I think it works great.

The only supplement I take is cod liver oil

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet to see the supplement which replaces 8hrs of sleep and whole foods for recovery and general health and well-being. Hence the utilisation of supplements is, in my book, unwarranted in almost all cases.

They work really well to lighten wallets however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only take a couple of fish oil soft-gels each day. They are cheap from Costco, and might not make a difference, but taking them has become a mindless habit. I eat and drink junk food during weekend rides. Don't remember the last time I got so much as a sniffle (knocks on wood).
Last edited by: soulfresca: Jan 26, 15 19:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Pop-tarts and Mountain Dew......has never let me down.

80 miles into my Sunday ride a stop at 7-11 and I'm good for more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd nailed it: little rigorous evidence exists demonstrating that nutritional supplements over any benefit over a balanced diet in health individuals. However, I particularly like your panel of "experts". While they're an interesting bunch, they don't lend your product any credibility.

Number two on your list of experts is apparently qualified because he is a chiropractor (no other credentials are listed besides these). The whole field of chiropractic is on dubious scientific footing, to put it mildly.

Next up is a "neuro-linguistic human development coach" who helps people maintain their health by using "subconscious reframing... and Reiki healing therapy." These are her words not mine.

You also graciously include an actress who paid a nominal fee to be credentialed as a "Holistic Nutritional Counselor" and apparently "cured herself" of an autoimmune disorder.

As far as I can tell the only person on your panel with any scientifically sound medical or scientific training is a gastroenterologist. However he does not appear to have any peer-reviewed publications on nutrition, supplementation or diet that I could find. What exactly makes him an expert on exercise nutrition?

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [SwimGreg3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwimGreg3 wrote:
veganerd nailed it: little rigorous evidence exists demonstrating that nutritional supplements over any benefit over a balanced diet in health individuals. However, I particularly like your panel of "experts". While they're an interesting bunch, they don't lend your product any credibility.

Number two on your list of experts is apparently qualified because he is a chiropractor (no other credentials are listed besides these). The whole field of chiropractic is on dubious scientific footing, to put it mildly.

Next up is a "neuro-linguistic human development coach" who helps people maintain their health by using "subconscious reframing... and Reiki healing therapy." These are her words not mine.

You also graciously include an actress who paid a nominal fee to be credentialed as a "Holistic Nutritional Counselor" and apparently "cured herself" of an autoimmune disorder.

As far as I can tell the only person on your panel with any scientifically sound medical or scientific training is a gastroenterologist. However he does not appear to have any peer-reviewed publications on nutrition, supplementation or diet that I could find. What exactly makes him an expert on exercise nutrition?

This is why I love slowtwitch. Plenty of science based nerds like myself. Nothing goes unchallenged :)

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwimGreg3 wrote:

My God Greg, that was amazing.
I actually fanboyed a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the suspicion that this thread isn't going how you thought it would.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I have the suspicion that this thread isn't going how you thought it would.

*Deathly silence from OP...*
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rodney,

Thanks for your response to our post. We agree that sleep and proper diet are essential and have a big impact on training and recovery! Eating a well-balanced diet, hydrating properly, avoiding processed foods and beverages, and getting the right amount of sleep is what we all should do every day.

Question: What do you do to replace the electrolytes that are lost during your training and racing?

Thanks for your help in answering our questions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regular foods and water. Bananas, greens, hemp hearts and other fruit/veg. Normal "salting" of other foods.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SwimGreg3 wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rodney,

Those are great options for post workout replenishment. How about during your workouts and races?

Thanks for your response!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Garette,

We are on here looking to get feedback from athletes about what they use to help supplement their training. Some use supplements and other don't. It's always good to hear what real, everyday athletes are using.

Question: What do you use during your training and racing to get your electrolytes?

Thanks for your feedback!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question: What do you use during your training and racing to get your electrolytes?

Food.

I also use a sports drink on the bike, but that's strictly for calories. I'm a firm believer that there's no reason to supplement electrolytes during any race distance.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Garrette,

It can be tough to get good calories and proper hydration during long races. Most sports drinks are full of sugar, food coloring and other chemicals that can do a number on your system. This can make it hard for your body to function properly when you're pushing it during a race. There are healthier alternatives out there and we hope everyone finds a choice that works best for them.

Thanks again for your response!
Quote Reply

Prev Next