Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Unbound Gravel 2024
Quote | Reply
Anybody here heading to Unbound? starting a thread to possibly connect and discuss gear, strategy, anything... including mud rants ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [trihugger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for the 200. I did the 100 last year. Go bullet proof with tires.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the 100m single speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too! I did 100 in 2021 and aiming to finish the 200... so how bulletproof you recommend? in 21 I went went Gravelking SK 43 and worked out well but open to consider alternatives. I have clearance for 50 mm
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [Trash_Panda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are my hero. so what is the gearing? I'm curious to try your gearing and see how it would feel, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihugger wrote:
me too! I did 100 in 2021 and aiming to finish the 200... so how bulletproof you recommend? in 21 I went went Gravelking SK 43 and worked out well but open to consider alternatives. I have clearance for 50 mm

Last year I went with Pirelli Cinturato RCs in 40mm with CushCore inserts. They got me through Unbound and Big Sugar. Since this year is the north course I am going to 45mm with the same setup.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the route is north this year, and the local knowledge (or maybe the website) says that the road surfaces are much sharper to the north, so wear your stoutest tires. Not racing, so it makes no difference to me, but it could make YOUR day go better.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihugger wrote:
so what is the gearing?

42x17
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy tetmeyer wrote:
I believe the route is north this year, and the local knowledge (or maybe the website) says that the road surfaces are much sharper to the north, so wear your stoutest tires. Not racing, so it makes no difference to me, but it could make YOUR day go better.

True.

I'm in for the 50 miler and did the north route in 2019. Driving part of the course prior to the race out near the lake, I ended up having to buy a new truck tire (well, a matching set). I'm from Emporia and grew up riding horses out that way.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the 200 just gotta figure out where the hell I'm going to stay. Figured some people that didn't get in have to be cancelling their hotel reservations in town, but haven't had any luck finding one yet.

As for tires... going with 45mm Ramblers, no inserts.
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [Ham Sandwich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ham Sandwich wrote:
In for the 200 just gotta figure out where the hell I'm going to stay. Figured some people that didn't get in have to be cancelling their hotel reservations in town, but haven't had any luck finding one yet.

If I were going to do it again I’d probably do a hotel in Topeka … it’s not that far, and race day you’re going to be up to eat anyway. I had a friend do the dorms and he said that worked out great. I did the Pork Belly trailers and didn’t really enjoy it, though it could have been worse.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in for the 100. Booked a hotel in Topeka just to get something on the books. 42mm Specialized Pathfinders will hopefully be enough. Are tire inserts that effective?
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Ham Sandwich wrote:

If I were going to do it again I’d probably do a hotel in Topeka … it’s not that far, and race day you’re going to be up to eat anyway. I had a friend do the dorms and he said that worked out great. I did the Pork Belly trailers and didn’t really enjoy it, though it could have been worse.

That’s great to know. Hadn’t really looked into Topeka, but plenty of airbnbs and I wanted to bring the dogs to avoid having to deal with a sitter. Thanks for the advice!

With it being my wife and I at a minimum I don’t think I could do the dorms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the 200. Was quite surprised I got an entry. First try at lottery.

Humbly, I have to say, 2024, my 54th, is shaping up to be the bucket-list year or all bucket-list years for me.

My race schedule:

April: Boston (my 4th)
June: Unbound (1st)
October: Kona (2nd)
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
I’m in for the 100. Booked a hotel in Topeka just to get something on the books. 42mm Specialized Pathfinders will hopefully be enough. Are tire inserts that effective?

I stayed in Topeka last year and have already booked a hotel there this year. It is just an hour drive in the morning. Gives me a chance to down my coffee and play some tunes.

I swear by inserts! I have nailed a few rocks. Keegan runs Tannus and he seems to have good luck! Plus with inserts you can run lower psi for comfort. I ran 27 psi last year with CushCore inserts, and I can ride a bit on a flat if needed. Unbound is all about not getting flats. Then carry bacon strips, dyna plugs, and tubes. I carry a few co2 cartridges and a mini pump.

---------------

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for those that have done this event before….

If a bailout does become required… what’s cell service like out there? I have an unusual amount of anxiety about needing a bailout but having to walk 5-10 miles just to be able to call for one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wife and I are in.

We've mainly been crit racers for a long time. She's won a few 100mi gravel races and is kinda getting into this. For me, well let's just say it doesn't fit my physiology. We'll see. Definitely different training this year.

We both ride specialized crux. Tires depend a bit on conditions. She prefers a wider pathfinder on 650b. Runs it flat bar, and has liked it a lot. Good picture of her winning Core 4 on it in this article:
https://www.thegazette.com/...nty-for-second-year/

I prefer a 700c 40mm schwalbe g-one all around. But will play around with 650b x 2.1" g-one bite during training -- those probably make more sense for races with more single track, haven't ridden them yet, but if the comfort is a lot more I might give up some speed for unbound.

I've never done an actual gravel race on a gravel bike. Have always raced my SS MTB. But have competed OK in a few 100mi events on that. Definitely not going to SS for this.

I don't know. Will probably make some changes as this gets closer. She'll be trying to compete. I'll be trying to survive.

For housing, we are just going to sleep / camp in the back of our truck with bed tent and air mattress. Did get the pork belly comfort camping package thing so we can have showers, etc.

I feel like we know what we are doing for our first time, which probably means we have no idea.

Edit to add: We're doing the 200. That wasn't clear in my post.

Andy
Last edited by: AndyPeterson: Jan 31, 24 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got in the 200. Finished it in '19 using tubed Pathfinder 38s. No flats but my ass was on fire after the first 100 (of course the whole course was blazing hot). This year I'm going with tubeless Pathfinder 42s @ ~40psi. I did Core4 last year. IMO it's damn near as hard as the 200 (f'ing single track). Missed out on the dorms so booked a hotel in Topeka and will keep an eye out for cancellations.
Last edited by: TJ56: Jan 31, 24 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ham Sandwich wrote:
Question for those that have done this event before….

If a bailout does become required… what’s cell service like out there? I have an unusual amount of anxiety about needing a bailout but having to walk 5-10 miles just to be able to call for one.

The year I did it I crashed twice and bailed after the second. Cell service was fine in that location, but can't speak for the entire course.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for the 200, single speed. Although, I'll probably have to back it down to the 100 (SS) as I've not got back surgery scheduled for March 20th.

DNF'd my only other attempt (2021) at mile 186 after a bad crash that left me with a cracked collarbone and a concussion. Ended up in a ditch on the side of the road. Wahoo says I was "out" for about for a few min's before some high school kid on his way home saw me and gave me a ride back to Emporia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ham Sandwich wrote:

Dorms sold out in 8 minutes. Keep an eye on the Unbound 2024 Facebook page and as people get injured/sick/life, they'll be giving up their lodging. There is also a short-term lodging Emporia FB page where there may be more of those kind of posts.

Re cell service - mostly OK but there are probably some areas that will be iffy. I have T-Mobile and I know that when I go to my nephew's lake house, if I want more than one bar, I need to go to the top of the hill (mile 175ish from the 2019 northern route).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for 200. I DNF'd in 2022 after 140 miles or so. The mud really killed me but was an amazing experience. I learned a lot and ready for another shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a single dorm room available for transfer. There's no wait list, but transfers are allowed. DM me if interested.

***eta*** it's no longer available
Last edited by: Mudge: Mar 20, 24 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in for the 200. First time. Not real excited about the prospect of chunkier, sharper gravel going the north route but it is what it is.

My training has been really subpar, for the bike. Just could not motivate myself to ride indoors or ride outdoors when the weather was cold/rainy. Also, in much of 2023, I couldn’t run because I was recovering from ankle surgery, so I did a lot of cycling. Since December, I’ve been building up my running really well, and am having such a good time that I’m neglecting my poor bike (maybe riding once per week). Not good. Hoping with the time change that I’ll be more motivated to get out and ride with my cycling buds. Going to Tucson in two weeks and I believe that will get my cycling morale boosted again

Im saying im “one and done” with Unbound but i said the same about Steamboat Gravel and have now done it three times, so guess ill wait and see
Quote Reply
Re: Unbound Gravel 2024 [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is training going? I'm curious to hear what people has in mind for their longest race and when? In my mind, I'm thinking of doing 120-140 miles mostly to try out nutrition, but curious about other's plans
Quote Reply

Prev Next