Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ultraman Florida 2017
Quote | Reply
They just started this morning. It's gonna be 3 days of "fun"! You can get updates on their facebook page.

I think there might be some fast swimmers in the mix this year - should be fun!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom Waniewski first out of the water. He's gonna be stoked with that - he's put in a LOT of hard work in the pool over the past few months.
Marc hot on his heels. They could hit several red lights early on in the bike - which can eradicate a lead just like that!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Last edited by: robgray: Feb 17, 17 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My buddy Kaustubh Radkar from India was 4th in 2:49. I would have expected to swim faster and win the swim as he has done 49 minutes and top age grouper in Arizona a few years ago and also was top age grouper at IMLP. That's his best event though. For the life of me I can't figure out how he can swim as fast as he does and bike slow relative to his swim engine....I'm not sure he breaks 6 hrs on IM bike rides!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
They just started this morning. It's gonna be 3 days of "fun"! You can get updates on their facebook page.

I'll be rooting for the local - Boki!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I've ever seen a top 6 this close before after day 1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a top 6 this close before after day 1

I am excited to see what Tim Cronk can pull off in the day 3 double marathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
robgray wrote:

I'll be rooting for the local - Boki!!

Glad that we are cheering the same guy. He is my local also, but from a different local :) Bojan's home town is mine home town (Begrade, Serbia). We even have a same name, and know well each other :) :)

#goboki!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, do you have a link to the full results? I can't seem to find them on the UMFL website
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bojan Maric after day 2
Last edited by: bojan: Feb 18, 17 12:53
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
[ For the life of me I can't figure out how he can swim as fast as he does and bike slow relative to his swim engine....I'm not sure he breaks 6 hrs on IM bike rides!

That's because he's been blessed with those skinny indian legs that don't ever want to build muscle!! That's my excuse anyway, well, in my case Sri Lankan legs :-P[/quote]
I swear I told Kaustubh that if he will just let me put him on a proper riding program, I'll get him down to 5 hours on the bike for most flat IM's. He's also got enough height/mass to have a good top line FTP on the flats. By the way, the first Indian to finish an Ultraman was a woman who I sponsored back in 2008 to do UM Canada. Anyway, on to day 3. Hopefully the Indian guys can get through this day. Anna, nice to see a Sri Lankan background woman in this sport. Yesterday when I was XC skiing in the middle of nowhere, I bumped into a Punjabi woman skiing 10k away from the closest parking lot. There are not natural activities that parents push their kids into....heck, even parents things boys are goofing off and not studying doing this stuff. At Kona 2013, I registered as an Indian since Canada had a zillion athletes in the race already and there was no one there with my heritage. I walked in the parade just in front of the Israelis. But nice to see the endurance sport really pick up back in India now. Mainly running but there are many folks taking up tris too.

Anyone know where we can find the results from day 1 and 2?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work with a lot of Indian dudes here in LA. They seem to be starting to get into endurance sports. A couple of them started running marathons, and one is now doing short distance triathlons. The interest is there, but swimming is usually a big hurdle.

Oh, and there is a 2nd gen Sri Lankan lady at work whose dad is in his 80s and just ran the NYC.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They could hit several red lights early on in the bike - which can eradicate a lead just like that! //

So sounds like they have to obey traffic laws? How many lights are there abouts? if a few probably no big deal, but if it is dozens and dozens, could be frustrating for some unlucky athlete. Is it an honor system, are there penalties for running red lights? With such a close knit community of athletes I would imagine there is still honor in following rules. Never done one of these so don't know the particulars of the course rules.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I work with a lot of Indian dudes here in LA. They seem to be starting to get into endurance sports. A couple of them started running marathons, and one is now doing short distance triathlons. The interest is there, but swimming is usually a big hurdle.

Oh, and there is a 2nd gen Sri Lankan lady at work whose dad is in his 80s and just ran the NYC.

Thanks for that note. A few years ago, my mom came with me to 70.3 World's in Vegas. At the time she would have been in the 70-74 age group (this year, she "ages up" to 75-59). She was amazed by all the older women and how strong and young they appeared .....but she does not actually do any sports events, even though she works out every day. I might encourage her to enter a 5K or 10K and powerwalk it!

OK enough of that, where are the UMFL day 1 and day 2 results. I see one of the Indian guys Milind Soumen completed the first half of the double marathon day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Wow

Former teammate and pool training partner just won the race (David Hainish) coached by Erik Seedhouse former ultraman world champion.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
They could hit several red lights early on in the bike - which can eradicate a lead just like that! //

So sounds like they have to obey traffic laws? How many lights are there abouts? if a few probably no big deal, but if it is dozens and dozens, could be frustrating for some unlucky athlete. Is it an honor system, are there penalties for running red lights? With such a close knit community of athletes I would imagine there is still honor in following rules. Never done one of these so don't know the particulars of the course rules.

Aside from honor system, I believe other crews can post a protest (which if validated results in a penalty) if an athlete from another crew blows through traffic lights or stop signs.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are maybe 25+ lights on day 1. Last year an athlete got DQd for rolling a stop sign. So it's an honor system but the stakes are high so I'd say 98% of athletes comply.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still hoping for an Ultraman relay division one of these years. Would love to be there for one of the events.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
I am still hoping for an Ultraman relay division one of these years. Would love to be there for one of the events.

That would be really awesome. Plus the 2 athletes not currently racing can be crew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

That would be really awesome. Plus the 2 athletes not currently racing can be crew

Absolutely! I checked with Nick on this a few years ago but given the field limit there was not a option for a team. It could be a cool way into the Ultraman community too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

I am in if anyone needs a 10K swimmer!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
robgray wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Hi Dev,
That's a deal if I can be the biker! Now we just need a runner.. and Ultraman to allow a relay team or two next year.
I can always dream, just like my 20 year Kona lottery dream...
John
Quote Reply
Re: Ultraman Florida 2017 [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
robgray wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Hi Dev,
That's a deal if I can be the biker! Now we just need a runner.. and Ultraman to allow a relay team or two next year.
I can always dream, just like my 20 year Kona lottery dream...
John

Robgray has already volunteered for the 84.4K leg as a training outing for Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Thomas,

Thank you for rooting for me! :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next