Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get?
Quote | Reply
OK, I just read Ray's review of TRAINER APPS, and I have to say, that is a very impressive run down of the options for us Northern folk who need to ride indoors in the winter!

I am currently designing an "Ultimate man cave" and wanted to get some input for choices of training software. Here are a few basics about my setup...

1. Will be using at a 65" flatscreen (or maybe curved screen) UHDTV.
  2. I have a computrainer and don't plan on buying another option here.
  3. I am coached, so workouts will be designed by him, so I don't need "canned workouts", but would want to be able to adjust the sessions ahead of time depending on the workout.
  4. I have a power meter (PT wheels) which I will be linking to my Garmin 800 head unit, so yeah I could just watch TV and use the CT in ERG mode, but I am looking for the ULTIMATE experience here ;-). I favor using something that has interactive video or 3D or whatever riding... i.e.; I don't want to just look at numbers.
  5. I don't have a PC (Mac), but am considering a cheap PC laptop to run the operation here if need be.

So, wise folk of ST, what would you recommend if YOU were building your dream bike training setup?

Thank you in advance!

ETA: Here is a picture from "VeloReality" APP

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Last edited by: Fred D: Nov 22, 14 4:46
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it's an inditement of TdG's marketing failures that we didn't even merit a mention on the list despite being around for a couple years and actually having an active userbase.

Anyway, I recommend Tour de Giro for your situation:
-It has Mac support
-It has online riding, with frequent people online (in fact, there's an 29-player ride going on as I type this)
-It is 3d, with support for any course you want to upload (as a GPX file)
-If you wait a week or two for the mac update (or get a PC), it also has a structured training mode that will use your CT in erg mode and let you design your own workings
-It is released now, with no waiting list
-It has full computrainer support

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Nov 22, 14 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
I suppose it's an inditement of TdG's marketing failures that we didn't even merit a mention on the list despite being around for a couple years and actually having an active userbase.

Anyway, I recommend Tour de Giro for your situation:
-It has Mac support
-It has online riding, with frequent people online (in fact, there's an 29-player ride going on as I type this)
-It is 3d, with support for any course you want to upload (as a GPX file)
-If you wait a week or two for the mac update (or get a PC), it also has a structured training mode that will use your CT in erg mode and let you design your own workings
-It is released now, with no waiting list
-It has full computrainer support

OK, that looks awesome. I will look into this... I did know about you guys, but had no idea Mac compatibility was available!

How is the video quality?

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it work with Kickr?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A custom giant floor size treadmil capable of incline. That would be ridiculously fun.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfpro.

If your coach is giving you workouts I would suspect that you will be doing the majority of time in erg mode. In which case course videos are of limitted value.

I use perfpro. Well supported. Easy to create workouts. I watch Netflix or other videos.
My experience though has been that when I'm doing hard workouts...I just turn off the video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't add anything to this thread. But post pictures of that mancave !! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [pbateman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbateman wrote:
Can't add anything to this thread. But post pictures of that mancave !! :)

Will definitely do this. I am going from a dungeon to a palace in essence ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
Perfpro.

If your coach is giving you workouts I would suspect that you will be doing the majority of time in erg mode. In which case course videos are of limitted value.

I use perfpro. Well supported. Easy to create workouts. I watch Netflix or other videos.
My experience though has been that when I'm doing hard workouts...I just turn off the video.

I agree, and have honestly been riding ERG mode on the CT for years, just watching Netflix... to me that's probably all I really need.

However, this thread isn't really about 'need', rather much more about 'want'

My understanding is that on many of the programs (like Racemate One) you can design a flatter course and just pick up the efforts when you need to do said intervals.

*I* am just trying to mix things up to make it more interesting, as I am likely stuck indoors until late March.

Trying to make the trainer time more 'fun', and yes I know you have to suffer on the trainer... most who know me wouldn't really question that I do that lol

Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The kickr will function as an ANT+ PM, but we don't support hill simulation for it (and won't for a while).

Quote:
How is the video quality?
Since we're a videogame rather than a video app, it's more about the 3D graphical quality. I'd call ours acceptable. It's not mindblowing, but it will run on older PCs with the defaults. If you turn on shadows, clouds, and the pretty water, some of the courses can look quite nice.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wattbike with cockpit/crank upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
ETA: Here is a picture from "VeloReality" APP

That is actually low res screenshot made on some laptop of Ray's.
Take a look at real ones:

----

Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really would be looking only at options that actually CONTROL the computrainer, as I will have a great TV and can just watch shows as well.

So far for options that control the CT:
  1. Racemate One.
  2. Veloreality.
  3. ERG VIDEO
  4. Tour De Giro.

Of these, Veloreality seems to have the best use on a big screen TV, and I'm not really interested in racing others on a trainer. Tour De Giro looks good in the stand alone use and will be Mac friendly.

Am I missing any other choices that actually control the resistance of the Computrainer?

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [pbateman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! I would love to see examples of good training room set-ups. I'm about to get a used treadmill and thinking about how to best set up my space with bike, tv, workout, storage, etc.... would love ideas! #ExtremeMakeoverSlowtwichEdition

Rusch Racing | website | @maggieru | Instagram
Ask me about: Alto Cycling | Cuore | Base Performance | XTERRA Wetsuits | Cadence Run Company | First Bourn. Coached by: Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [maggieru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to throw out another software option....Zwift. As a beta tester, I have had the chance to use it quite a bit. It is really cool, but maybe does not fit into the trainer software. You can go out an ride your own ride, but most times if you are Type A (which a lot of us are) you end up racing most of the ride. So you do it in a great workout. You also see your speed, watts, heartrate and cadence. Then a summary of your ride at the end.

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [maggieru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maggieru wrote:
Yes! I would love to see examples of good training room set-ups. I'm about to get a used treadmill and thinking about how to best set up my space with bike, tv, workout, storage, etc.... would love ideas! #ExtremeMakeoverSlowtwichEdition

Here is the link to "Pain Caves"
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine having to limit the experience to a 65" screen. We use two projectors shooting over the rider's heads, giving a 16-foot wide x 8-foot tall screen. It's like being there. But hey, if you're a TV guy, then go with the little 65" screen (kidding, but once you've gone projector, you won't go back). And WAY cheaper).

You already have the CompuTrainer, so Art Hare's TdG is a good fit if you want to race and challenge yourself against others. This is a great modality for race fitness and to keep yourself engaged and motivated.

If you coach is providing workouts, get a copy of PerfPRO Studio which is not only easy to set up for workouts, but is ANT+ capable. That way, you can get all the wires off your bike and under the rug/mat. Makes for a clean setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
Really would be looking only at options that actually CONTROL the computrainer, as I will have a great TV and can just watch shows as well.

So far for options that control the CT:
  1. Racemate One.
  2. Veloreality.
  3. ERG VIDEO
  4. Tour De Giro.

Of these, Veloreality seems to have the best use on a big screen TV, and I'm not really interested in racing others on a trainer. Tour De Giro looks good in the stand alone use and will be Mac friendly.

Am I missing any other choices that actually control the resistance of the Computrainer?

Thanks.

PerfPRO Studio can also control the resistance of the CT.

Another thing I really like about PerfPRO is that it supports multiple monitors. You can have your data on your laptop screen and have your big screen dedicated to video - this is especially nice with Sufferfest, EpicRides, etc. It's also nice if you want to have a friend over - the standard license supports up to 3 riders at the same time. Not bad for less than $100.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with all of the suggestions made. All of the software packages mentioned above would serve you well. I have to ask the obvious question, though: why limit yourself to just one software package anyway? That's the beauty of a PC: you can install all of them and choose the one you want to ride that day based on your needs.

Some days, I use PerfPro with Sufferfest videos (with matching .erg files) for some workouts. On days that I just want to get in some saddle time, I'll switch to VeloReality and enjoy the scenery. If I want a different sort of challenge, then it's Tour de Giro (I particularly like that even if no one else is online, I can set up a group ride with AI riders). I just got into the Zwift beta so tonight I'm going to try that one out, too.

If you were going to force me to pick one and only one then it would be PerfPro. It's the most versatile app on the list.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Croptop wrote:

If you were going to force me to pick one and only one then it would be PerfPro. It's the most versatile app on the list.

X2. We ride PerfPRO Studio workouts (Sufferfest videos, mainly) and lots of courses (racing as well as new course familiarization) about 70% of the time. Interactive Real Course Videos for those athletes familiarizing themselves with a filmed course (St. George, Kona, Louisville, Wisconsin, etc.). For fun, we'll race using RacerMate One or Computrainer 3D (so easy to find a course and get rolling and racing). For variety, we'll occasionally ride ErgVideos.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
PerfPRO Studio can also control the resistance of the CT.

Another thing I really like about PerfPRO is that it supports multiple monitors. You can have your data on your laptop screen and have your big screen dedicated to video - this is especially nice with Sufferfest, EpicRides, etc. It's also nice if you want to have a friend over - the standard license supports up to 3 riders at the same time. Not bad for less than $100.

That's awesome, thanks!

I don't have a PC, but the options that I like the most are all Windows based, so I think I need to buy a PC laptop.

If Perfpro controls the resistance to the CT, can it also integrate with Sufferfest vids?

Quote Reply
Re: Ultimate dream MANCAVE... which trainer (cycling) software would you get? [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Croptop wrote:
Agree with all of the suggestions made. All of the software packages mentioned above would serve you well. I have to ask the obvious question, though: why limit yourself to just one software package anyway? That's the beauty of a PC: you can install all of them and choose the one you want to ride that day based on your needs.

Some days, I use PerfPro with Sufferfest videos (with matching .erg files) for some workouts. On days that I just want to get in some saddle time, I'll switch to VeloReality and enjoy the scenery. If I want a different sort of challenge, then it's Tour de Giro (I particularly like that even if no one else is online, I can set up a group ride with AI riders). I just got into the Zwift beta so tonight I'm going to try that one out, too.

Great thoughts!

You are right, I should try out different options.

Got to gets me a PC ;-)

PS, just ordered the 65" UHDTV Samsung... went down $500 dollars in price, just today!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, it works nicely with Sufferfest. Here's a picture of it with two TVs - one for the video, and the other for the data:

Sorry, the picture is a little small. In this case, it is set up with two riders. The data screen can be laid out however you like. It's a pretty powerful software tool, and PerfPRO Analyzer allows you to generate e-mailed reports after your workout is done with a ton of good data. Besides the entertainment value that Sufferfest provides, you'll have really good data available to you for effective training. As an added bonus, Drew at PerfPRO is super helpful. Although, Nate and the crew at TrainerRoad, and Max at Maximum Trainer are also very helpful.

As a side note, the left monitor is attached via HDMI, and the right monitor is using a Microsoft wireless display adapter. This allows you to treat all the monitors/TVs as an extended desktop and set the correct resolution for each screen. That then allows you to put the software/video on the screen you want, although I would recommend connecting the video TV with HDMI rather than wireless. The wireless has a bit of a delay that can be noticeable.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
I don't have a PC, but the options that I like the most are all Windows based, so I think I need to buy a PC laptop.

Not necessarily. There are quite a few people who use PerfPro on their Macs either via a Bootcamp partition or by using Parallels (virtualisation software). But if you think you're going to try all of the different packages that have been recommended then perhaps a true Windows machine might be a better option.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Last edited by: Croptop: Nov 24, 14 18:45
Quote Reply

Prev Next