Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USE R1 Aerobars when extensions are underslung
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm looking at changing between the USE Tula's and R1s and wondered if anyone can answer any of the following questions

1. The Tula's seem to have less frontal area than the R1s, any idea how the R1s are supposedly 4.2w less at 31mph (from USE data)

2. Has anyone seen any aero data around the USE R1 bars when the extensions are underslung like the picture below? As I may need to use them in this config to get low enough. Specifically I'm looking to see if this negates the difference between the R1s and the Tulas.

Thanks

w01fy

Quote Reply
Re: USE R1 Aerobars when extensions are underslung [w01fy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump, anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just eyeball guessing, the R1 appears to have a slightly better airfoil. The brake cable exits in the R1 rear appear cleaner than the bottom side exits on the Tula. The basebar section between the risers on the R1 is an airfoil vs. the Tula's cylinder. That's all the guess I've got.

AndyF and I tested the Tulas, finding different results for it depending on where the elbow rests were rolled to. We never tested them against the R1, and I wonder if the bars might be comparable with a rider aboard, and in best configurations, since the space between risers gets filled with race bottles. The bottom side cable exits on the Tula are my one peeve.
Quote Reply
Re: USE R1 Aerobars when extensions are underslung [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
Just eyeball guessing, the R1 appears to have a slightly better airfoil. The brake cable exits in the R1 rear appear cleaner than the bottom side exits on the Tula. The basebar section between the risers on the R1 is an airfoil vs. the Tula's cylinder. That's all the guess I've got.

AndyF and I tested the Tulas, finding different results for it depending on where the elbow rests were rolled to. We never tested them against the R1, and I wonder if the bars might be comparable with a rider aboard, and in best configurations, since the space between risers gets filled with race bottles. The bottom side cable exits on the Tula are my one peeve.

Thanks for your input DamonHenry, much appreciated.

AndyF and your testing, is that here on Slowtwitch somewhere as a thread I can have a look at?

cheers

w01fy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the better airfoil and cable arrangement is likely offset by the fact the extensions sit above or below the base bar whereas with the Tula they insert into the base bar thus reducing frontal area.
Quote Reply