Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers?
Quote | Reply
Probably a dumb question.
Any idea if there will be wetsuit peelers at Nationals next week?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [Kylebutler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None last year, haven't heard of any changes since then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enjoy that ramp.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [Norsedude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Norsedude wrote:
Enjoy that ramp.

What's the deal with the ramp? (Didn't do the race last year)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Understand pretty slippery re: ramp
My T1 time is now measured in hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No wetsuit peelers last year. That ramp was a little slippery but not too bad. They lined the ramp with volunteers to help us get up the ramp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Norsedude wrote:
Enjoy that ramp.

What's the deal with the ramp? (Didn't do the race last year)

The ramp last year was too short, therefore very steep. They had people on either railing helping people haul themselves up the ramp.

This year, USAT appears to be hyping the company that made the ramp for 2014, so I suspect you might have a better setup this year. In fact,

Quote:
USA Triathlon would like to thank Cordeck Building Solutions for providing the swim exit structure for the Age Group National Championships weekend. Athletes can expect a new exit structure for 2014.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short but steep. They have people pulling you out but if you are swimming with a large group get ahead before you come out or you'll get caught up in a log jam. Waves are much larger this year with everyone trying for Chicago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guessing that if you go to AG NC then you should be able to get your wetsuit off without help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little off topic, but is the swim a wade start or dive start?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched and listened to the Pre-race Webinar yesterday. They explicitly made mention of the fact that the ramp this year has changed and is not as steep as last year.
Last edited by: RallySavage: Jul 31, 14 9:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Pull the wetsuit down to your waste while running to your bike
2) At bike pull the wetsuit to knee or lower
3) Step down on wetsuit with one foot to bringing the wetsuit lower
5) Bring the other foot out to remove that leg from the wetsuit
You may need to grab it with your hands. Whatever. It shouldn't add any time.
6) Reach down and pull wetsuit off of other leg. It helps to again step on the suit with the opposite foot.

Does anyone know Jaime Cleveland? He should post a youtube video doing this, he is the best I have seen.

WAY faster than stopping for a wetsuit stripper. If you practice it, you can do it in 3 seconds. A wetsuit strip is probably going to take 15 when you factor stopping. Plus, if when you get good at it, you take relying on someone else out of your equation. And it is free speed!
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [matt_tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matt_tris wrote:
Last year was a wade start. They marched us onto a temporary floating dock and from there it was our business how to enter water. I jumped in feet first. Everyone had to be in the water for the start. Can't remember if they asked us to hold onto the dock, or just stay behind some buoys or what. I've had several races since then with that same type start and they all blur together.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [matt_tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matt_tris wrote:

Each wave walks out onto a long dock that is perpendicular to the direction of the swim. When the previous wave goes off, you get into the water. You have the option to swim around a bit before your wave starts. If you have a high ranking, you might hear your name called as they list some of the faster people in your AG :-). When time to start, everyone goes back to the dock and hangs on in the water until the gun. Nowhere to put your feet that I could find for a fast push-off.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No peelers but a nice long run to T1 to get it down to waist level. ;-)

And yeah, the ramp last year was a little wonky. I remember watching them put it together on Friday and thinking "uh oh" but I didn't hear of any real problems. You just had to let the volunteers literally lift you and then pull yourself up with the railing.

You are gonna love Nationals if you haven't been before. Last year was my first and my fiancé and I just had such an awesome time. Milwaukee is a fantastic place!!!

Patti

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [PattiTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the swim map on the USAT web site, the exit for the swim is in a different location than last year.
You do not come back under the bridge on the swim. Hopefully that change was made to improve the swim exit.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [emaw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - I'll have to go back and take a look at that. Makes a lot of sense to have the full width of the tunnel for swimming. Some of those blocks were a little close for comfort last year as I was trying to catch up. They sounded the gun while our wave was walking down the ramp to the water last year!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd call it a deep water start. You are treading water or holding on to the dock when your wave goes off. You can't touch the bottom.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [PattiTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got in on a fluke, and I'm taking advantage. Hopefully my 2:15-2:30 time isn't so slow that they close up shop before I finish.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
Got in on a fluke, and I'm taking advantage. Hopefully my 2:15-2:30 time isn't so slow that they close up shop before I we finish.

fixt :)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 31, 14 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
fe_dad wrote:
Got in on a fluke, and I'm taking advantage. Hopefully my 2:15-2:30 time isn't so slow that they close up shop before I we finish.

fixt :)

I'll sprint you guys to the line. Wink

Seriously, my only goal is to NOT finish DFL....and it may be tough to achieve!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be right behind ya boss.

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thread hijack here. Can anyone comment on road conditions? I've got a flat tire paranoia at the moment.....
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [TriRyno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road conditions were fine last year, with the exception of the area in/out of transition. A lot of people launched bottles on pot holes there. But the rest of the roads were good quality. I think I remember even the expansion joints in the bridge were covered, which is a nice touch.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Nats Question.. Wetsuit Peelers? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
1) Pull the wetsuit down to your waste while running to your bike
2) At bike pull the wetsuit to knee or lower
3) Step down on wetsuit with one foot to bringing the wetsuit lower
5) Bring the other foot out to remove that leg from the wetsuit
You may need to grab it with your hands. Whatever. It shouldn't add any time.
6) Reach down and pull wetsuit off of other leg. It helps to again step on the suit with the opposite foot.

Does anyone know Jaime Cleveland? He should post a youtube video doing this, he is the best I have seen.

WAY faster than stopping for a wetsuit stripper. If you practice it, you can do it in 3 seconds. A wetsuit strip is probably going to take 15 when you factor stopping. Plus, if when you get good at it, you take relying on someone else out of your equation. And it is free speed!

If done right, your wetsuit is off about the time you have you helmet and glasses on and you just have to reach down and toss your suit in your transition area or "box" under your bike, but not on top of your shoes. Don't forget this last part. If it's in the aisle at all, you can and should get a penalty. So a wetsuit costs you very little time. Hell, might be almost as fast as getting a swim skin off.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next