Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UCI and Frame Design
Quote | Reply
Was wondering if the UCI rules allowed for more frame design variations, such as Softrides, Lotus, Corima Fox, Cheeta Cat etc. If we we'd see a departure from the standard double diamond design, most specifically in TT. Or do these designs not offer that much of an aerodynamic benefit to warrant there use. It seems that even though they are allowed in triathlon, not many Pro's ride them. This may be due to sponsorship issues, but seems to lead back to the fact that they are not allowed by the UCI. Any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI and Frame Design [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I am not entirely well versed in the technicalities of the UCI article that defines a competitive bicycle I do know your common variety U.S. age group triathlete can't even spell UCI. The UCI article dosen't seem to be a huge issue in my view for "normal" triathlons (the ones we do). The ITU legal bikes we build (For Matt Kowalski, U.S. Development Team and Sheila Taormina, U.S. Olympic Team, Sydney)have strict rules for configuration. Thankfully, that hasn't (and hopefully never will) reach us. Gerard is the "go to" man on this question. He speaks UCI.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not well versed at all in UCI regulations, but the regs do prohibit beam bikes like Softrides, etc., and also prohibit steep seat angles on TT bikes. There was a discussion about this on the old forum, and the UCI regs say something like the nose of the saddle must be at least 5 cm behind the bottom bracket, which effectively eliminates a steep angled bike. However, some of the folks more familiar with pro racing said that some of the pros use a shorter saddle so they can have a steeper angled TT bike and remain within the regulations. They also said don't look for things to change anytime soon. But triathletes and those racing USCF aren't bound by the UCI regulations, and Softrides and their beam counterparts are USCF legal. At least that's what I remember. Anyone out there care to comment? Did I get this right or did I royally screw it up?

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone let's bash the UCI for a while!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply