Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis...
Quote | Reply
http://road.cc/content/news/146616-disc-brakes-be-permitted-peloton-2017

I've only seen it here, so I don;t know if its verified. but looks legit.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Disc brakes will be introduced in professional road racing in 2017, according to a source involved in discussions between the UCI, cycle sport’s world governing body
Although I look forward to the acceptance of disc brakes in the pro peloton, that article is really nothing more than an optimistic appraisal based on feedback from a representative of one of the manufacturers, not the UCI.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are you saying it will not happen?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The UCI has also opened discussions with the bike industry concerning the possibility of amending the 6.8kg minimum bike weight rule and the ‘3:1’ rule that applies to the frame, fork, handlebar, stem and seatpost.

IMO, those are the biggest nuggets in the article, not disc brakes necessarily.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Quote:
The UCI has also opened discussions with the bike industry concerning the possibility of amending the 6.8kg minimum bike weight rule and the ‘3:1’ rule that applies to the frame, fork, handlebar, stem and seatpost.

+1

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure how much the teams and riders will go for this even when it is allowed. Wheel changes will be a pain as even taking out the same wheel and putting it back in can upset disc alignment. You could look at through axles but if you are not getting the exact same hub with the same disc and have aligned that in the past you will still have issues and there also seem to be issues with standards for those as well.

As for the other limits. I already stopped most sanctioned racing in Canada because of the stupid UCI rules, I really only do time trials. I had to purchase new parts every year just to stay up to date with the rules and there are usually only one or two TT's in Ontario a year so it was not worth it in the end. The UCI really have to set boudaries for the rules application to only those in the Pro or semi pro level as the rest of us are just trying to have fun. That is what they do in the USA, as only the top level are sanctioned by the UCI, and it should be a standard.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
So are you saying it will not happen?

No, not at all. We will certainly see disc brakes approved by the UCI at some point, I am simply pointing out that the article relies on comments from representatives of the industry, not from official's with UCI.

ajh wrote:
I am not sure how much the teams and riders will go for this even when it is allowed.

Probably handle it like Cyclocross in which the rider changes bikes after which a mechanic swaps the wheel. Rotor alignment is much less of an issue when you have a stable of wheels with the same rims, hubs, and rotors all shimmed for the same alignment. Also, thru-axles eliminate the need for forks with lawyer tabs so even if teams opt to change wheels, a pro mechanic can easily remove/insert thru-axles as fast as current quick releases on forks with lawyer tabs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Mar 24, 15 8:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:

They have to delay it to allow a "level playing field"?

What, do they really think that manufacturers will be able to eliminate the aero (~10W drag), weight (~1lb full up), and compatibility drawbacks inherent in using separate braking discs on the road (as compared to integrated rim braking discs) in just 1.5 years? Not likely...

Just introduce it now and let the users decide...sort of like how it's so dramatically taken over the consumer road market in the last year and a half.

Oh wait, it hasn't... :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Delay it until Campag have a hydraulic disc groupset on sale?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
every time someone says "disc brakes are going to be too difficult in the pro peleton" i just laugh.

the world was going to end when they introduced electronic shifting, then wireless shifting, or tubulars, or carbon fibre bikes
the mtn bike world died when they introduced front suspension, then dual suspension, then disc brakes....

what's really funny right now is watching MTN bikes die because of electronic shifting....because it hasn't worked at all in road.

this is an issue for none. People will be over this and they'll wonder how they even rode bikes with rim brakes in the first place.

I just wish the UCI would get on with it so that we can speed up the standardization that will eventually occur.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want either of those things to be changed.

We just all bought new 3:1 shit a couple years ago, I Don't want to have to now go buy new 6:1 shit to keep up.

And I don't want to have to go to fairwheelbikes.com to hit the minimum weight limit for the san dimas or joe martin TTs

Power13 wrote:
Quote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
davidalone wrote:

What, do they really think that manufacturers will be able to eliminate the aero (~10W drag), weight (~1lb full up), and compatibility drawbacks inherent in using separate braking discs on the road (as compared to integrated rim braking discs) in just 1.5 years? Not likely...

Just introduce it now and let the users decide...sort of like how it's so dramatically taken over the consumer road market in the last year and a half.

I think that the problems that will slow the adoption of disc brakes in the world tour racing is standardization. Where standardization implies that everybody is using them and that they are interchangeable. i.e. if you're a SRAM rider you don't have to wait for a SRAM specific wheel at say, Paris-Roubaix. I think that this Velonews article lays out the issues pretty well.

Better braking is awesome, but not awesome enough to make up for standing on the side of the road waiting for a wheel from the SRAM neutral support car while watching the Campy, Shimano and Mavic neutral cars drive by with wheels that you can't use.

I suspect that we'll get there, but there are issues to be dealt with first.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the minimum weight rule really benefits heavier riders like you (and me if I needed to follow the rules) because the bike is a smaller % of the bike/rider system.

What about a 10% rule where the bike must weigh at least 10% of the rider's body weight if it's under 6.8kg? How would you like to see Quintana climbing on an 12lb bike??

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing...is it really about better braking?

Do you want significantly better braking for the pros, but without the aero drawbacks of separate braking discs, and at a mass increase less than adding separate braking disc systems? And with COMPLETE compatibility to all current bikes?

Just mandate that all race wheels use aluminum braking surfaces, preferably with PEO coatings and grooved surfaces. (Edit: or carbon surfaces and pads tested to have equivalent braking performance to that, dry or wet)

Boom. Done.

But, as we all know, it's really not about braking performance...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 24, 15 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [ajh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thru axles solve the alignment and the RAT system and similar are no slower than qr.. not sure if you have had the opportunity to use these/

the setting of a single standard will as always pose the most issues for neutral support but that's what team cars are for..

5 years from now it'll be another nothing issue..

re the mass, may make a small difference to climb times but not by much..

What both of these will do is accelerate the devel of disc brakes and reinvigorate the lightweight devel again..
And that's always good from a tech point.. not so much from a strength and toughness aspect.. but seeing as I'm not riding it I don't mind..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
San Dimas isn't a UCI race so the 6.8kg rule doesn't apply.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
davidalone wrote:

I think that the problems that will slow the adoption of disc brakes in the world tour racing is standardization. Where standardization implies that everybody is using them and that they are interchangeable. i.e. if you're a SRAM rider you don't have to wait for a SRAM specific wheel at say, Paris-Roubaix. I think that this Velonews article lays out the issues pretty well.

Better braking is awesome, but not awesome enough to make up for standing on the side of the road waiting for a wheel from the SRAM neutral support car while watching the Campy, Shimano and Mavic neutral cars drive by with wheels that you can't use.

I suspect that we'll get there, but there are issues to be dealt with first.

i dont disagree standardization will provide us with teething issues, but we'll get through them, as we always have.
the sooner the UCI adopts, the quicker we can get on and identify them and move past them. we'll never get every kink worked out in first instance. if they dont open it up we'll sit with paralysis by analysis for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, better to mandate specific rim materials, coatings and manufacturing requirements instead of allowing teams to use a disk or whatever they want. So says the guy who complains about UCI requirements, suggesting more of them... I fail to see how mandating something is a better solution than letting teams choose the system of their liking.

It is about braking performance, actually. I have both disk and calipers and the former is better by every account, IMO. And I can use a carbon wheel without adding more coatings or braking surfaces or whatever else you think makes it equal. What's your experience riding road disk, if I might ask?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you didn't see my edit about allowing carbon braking surfaces that meet a performance requirement.

Anyway, that brings up a good point, in that really the bike regs should be about meeting performance specs, regardless the technology. For braking, that would be needing to demonstrate a certain level of braking performance. And, since the weight limit was actually originally enacted as a proxy for a structural integrity spec, how about eliminating the weight limit and specify structural properties instead? The frames already go through an approval process, so that would just be a part of that.

My experience with road discs? Enough to realize that they aren't "all that" except in limited applications...especially as compared to best in class rim braking setups (MANY folks ride on setups demonstrably NOT "best in class")

Quote Reply
Re: UCI allows discs, reviewing other limtis... [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:

That logic doesn't always follow. Gila wasn't a UCI race for the women a couple years ago they still weighed bikes.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

NRC races still follow UCI rules as well.

Here's the rule:
UCI Rulebook 1J1E wrote:
Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at events that select 17-18, U23 and elite riders for international competition or national teams. All bicycles used in Federation National Championship (for age 17 and older riders) and NRC races must comply with the current UCI regulations.

Also applies for high school and collegiate races.

Don't worry about it at San Dimas. I'm sure your competitors aren't. My CAAD10 with 404s and a Quarq is 6.5kg and I always see much nicer stuff there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frame approval is a different animal. I agree that rule is silly--or maybe arcane--but dropping .5kg isn't going to have a major impact on braking performance.

If your experience with road disk is ample, I'm sure you'll be glad to share it here. How many hours/miles, descents and so on? My Ultegra disk stops better than D/A caliper regardless of rim material, especially carbon brake tracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
durk onion wrote:

That logic doesn't always follow. Gila wasn't a UCI race for the women a couple years ago they still weighed bikes.

have you ever been in (or has your wife been in) a race where they weighed road bikes? i've never seen it happen.

TT, yes. road? never.

curious where it has happened, if it has (at the non-World-Tour level).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The type of runners i am dragging on the wheel makes a notable difference on the braking..

running shoes are crap.. tennis shoes are better.. skate shoes i have found to tbe the best.. seems to relate to the stiffness of the midsole..
Hoka's would be shite... and as for the bare foot crew..
Quote Reply

Prev Next