Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that cringes when I see someone mount 12-15 gels on their bike when they could squeeze them into one of the many small flasks race morning and fill the remaining with a bit of water and get a much more compact nutrition solution? I've got one that velcros into a mount (or put it in the speed box) and it can hold about 20 gels with some room for water to spare (so you can squirt it).

Plus I hate to think his is tossing those packets on the course. No where to put them once used.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lost my flask on the swim my last race :(. I put it in one of my pockets because I thought i would for sure forge it in T1. Next time I'll have my flask in my helmet to grab.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Am I the only one that cringes when I see someone mount 12-15 gels on their bike when they could squeeze them into one of the many small flasks race morning and fill the remaining with a bit of water and get a much more compact nutrition solution? I've got one that velcros into a mount (or put it in the speed box) and it can hold about 20 gels with some room for water to spare (so you can squirt it).

Plus I hate to think his is tossing those packets on the course. No where to put them once used.

As someone who has seen pros shameless discard wrappers all over the place, yes it is quite frustrating. I guess they like that each one is measured, so it is more dialed in, but you won't find any gels ever taped to my bike.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing he uses those gels first, so they are all probably off the bike within the first 90min of the ride. Probably looks worse than it is in practice.

Imo he should just have one of the bta bottles as a calorie bottle with all the gels in it, and mount the extra water bottle behind the seat.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug Clark won his age group at Kona with about that many gels taped to his top tube. And though I don't know what he did with them afterwards, there are these things called pockets...

(edit)

Did a quick search for Doug's posts about this and found this:

Quote:
Dude, how the heck did you deduce from my post that I must be throwing garbage all over the road? I ALWAYS put the empty gel packets in my pocket. 7 IMs, 15 halves, never dropped one yet.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Last edited by: klehner: Jul 27, 16 4:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cringed much more at the mess that is him on that P5:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gotten to where I rubber band all my nutrition to my bike similar to the way people rubberband shoes. It's just easier to transition it to a rear pocket after the swim while rolling than load up in T1. Jersey pocket are for food, and just tuck the wrapper up my shorts leg till an aid station and drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He used to ride a lot lower than that when he was a junior. He's a smart guy, I'm pretty sure that he's set up in a manner that works best for him.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to move more towards real food, but if I wanted to carry a flask with gel in it, whats the best way to secure it to the bike? Just use strong double sided velcro tape and place it near the front of the top tube?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:

Toss at aid station, maybe?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. He is a smart guy, but it does look like there is room for improvement. I remember reading that he spent his own money a few years back to do wind tunnel testing. So maybe it's fast/comfortable even though it doesn't look that fast.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
I lost my flask on the swim my last race :(. I put it in one of my pockets because I thought i would for sure forge it in T1. Next time I'll have my flask in my helmet to grab.

Why don't you just attach the flask to your bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's so impressive that you have magical superhero eyes that can determine someone's CdA just by looking at a picture. Maybe Marvel will build a new franchise around you, "Romulusmagus: Attack of the bike fit from hell".
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
It's so impressive that you have magical superhero eyes that can determine someone's CdA just by looking at a picture. Maybe Marvel will build a new franchise around you, "Romulusmagus: Attack of the bike fit from hell".

Yes, because it takes a really special superhero skillset to know from looking at these photos that his CdA is god awful. Tyler and Joe Skipper should get together and have a competition on who can get less for their watts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What flask do you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You picked 2 pictures that showed the athletes in what are obviously not their most aero position.

Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
3Aims wrote:

As someone who has seen pros shameless discard wrappers all over the place, yes it is quite frustrating. I guess they like that each one is measured, so it is more dialed in, but you won't find any gels ever taped to my bike.

Up until last year I taped gels to my top tube. I race with a 2xu tri top, which has a small rear pocket. Empties go in there. Then I typically forget about them and find them in the laundry machine....

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
You picked 2 pictures that showed the athletes in what are obviously not their most aero position.

By all means, find a good one here. Every last picture from the side shows how horrendous his position is. But carry on.

Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
What flask do you use?

Fuelbelt gel flask. The one that straps to your frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

By all means, find a good one here. Every last picture from the side shows how horrendous his position is. But carry on.

The real question is whose position is worse? Mine or Butterfields? FWIW, we both 'sponsored' our own trips to the wind tunnel.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side view doesn't tell the whole picture, and Ty is a pretty solidly built guy. Super low positions don't work for everyone, for a variety of reasons.

It might not be the most aero position, but knowing Ty it is pretty close to being the fastest position for him.

His position reminds me of he-who-shalt-not-be-named.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

+1. I can take a side picture of myself and look really good or really bad with the exact same aerobar setup. Choke up on the bars to open up my hip angle a bit, put my head up and relax my shoulders (as I do on easy uphills in aero) and you'd say my position sucks. Put my hands out at the end of my extensions, shrug my shoulders, and lower my head by turtling (as I do on the flats & downhills) and most folks would say I look pretty damn good.
Quote Reply
Re: Tyler Butterfield's Cervelo P5 - Small Gel Flask vs 15+ gels taped [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Side view doesn't tell the whole picture, and Ty is a pretty solidly built guy. Super low positions don't work for everyone, for a variety of reasons.

It might not be the most aero position, but knowing Ty it is pretty close to being the fastest position for him.

Just call him "7"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Which is precisely why Lance left Andy Potts behind on The Beast of St. Croix like Andy was long course triathlon pack fodder, but then got lit up by Kienle at Galveston. Lance's position in 2005 was a watts/CdA position. His position in 2012, as you correctly note, was very much Butterfield-esque. By Tyler doesn't have Lance watts...let's be real.

I reject the notion that every single image of Tyler just coincidentally catches him in a poor position. I think a big part of the problem is his inability or unwillingness to get his damn head down. He's sticking that dome up in the air like a light pole in every picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your data from Muncie, you get a lot for your watts, so I'm not picking on you about that. The shot of you in San Juan shows a bit much back curvature for my liking, but that doesn't mean you're necessarily less aero for it (at least, I don't have the super powers to determine if it is)
Quote Reply

Prev Next