Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon
Quote | Reply
A driver drove around cones set up to separate traffic on Lake Shore Drive and struck two cyclists. Both are reported in serious but stable condition. Driver was charged with negligent driving. Crazy that you have to worry about traffic on a separated race bike course.

http://abc7chicago.com/...on-cyclists/2347831/
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [dmgt83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. I am really interested how she even got through the cones without hitting many on Lake Shore. They do a great job of setting up cones every like 10 yards so she must have hit cones before hitting the cyclists. I know we say this a lot but there is a special place that people like this should rot. And the worst part is there is NO traffic on Lake Shore at that time of the morning. I know this because I raced! That driver should be charged with more than negligent driving, although I am not current on the laws in Illinois regarding this though but doesn't seem harsh enough.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmgt83 wrote:
A driver drove around cones set up to separate traffic on Lake Shore Drive and struck two cyclists. Both are reported in serious but stable condition. Driver was charged with negligent driving. Crazy that you have to worry about traffic on a separated race bike course.

Someone like that needs the book thrown at them. To me, this is not a soft crime like substances, this is intentional actions that injury people and potentially kill them. This is assault and battery or unintentional attempted homicide. Shooting guns at people kills people even if the person is "just" injured. Driving cars into bikes may not kill them, but it is just the same as pointed a loaded gun at someone and firing and I wish it would be treated the same in court.

I got hit yesterday on the road by a BMW doing an illegal u-turn across double yellow lines and swerving into the bike lane where I was. Because I was able to brake and move left enough to just bump the car and brace myself with my right arm so I didn't fall, and then she yelled "get off the road" and sped off. The police could not do anything to her but since I got her license plate number, they did go to her house and talk with her. So right now I am even more upset about cars not giving a shit about cyclists than I usually am.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know where she lives and what her car looks like, just saying............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting, I was wondering what happened. It looked pretty bad when I went past.
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad that they made a point of noting that the driver refused medical attention. [/sarcasm]
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
I got hit yesterday on the road by a BMW doing an illegal u-turn across double yellow lines and swerving into the bike lane where I was. Because I was able to brake and move left enough to just bump the car and brace myself with my right arm so I didn't fall, and then she yelled "get off the road" and sped off. The police could not do anything to her but since I got her license plate number, they did go to her house and talk with her. So right now I am even more upset about cars not giving a shit about cyclists than I usually am.

Ever notice how it's always the luxury SUV 'accidentally' veering into the bike lane? Never the rusted beater, or the mini-van. It's the luxury SUV. Every. Single. Time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts and prayers to the cyclists that were hit. That really sucks.

I agree with the others here. The woman should be charged with assault and jailed. She willfully disobeyed the law. This wasn't an "accident". I raced today as well and there was a cone every ten yards at most in addition to signs saying "Race in Progress: Do Not Cross Cones".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People need to be reminded that driving is a privilege and not a right for the simple reason that a car is a weapon!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

Ever notice how it's always the luxury SUV 'accidentally' veering into the bike lane? Never the rusted beater, or the mini-van. It's the luxury SUV. Every. Single. Time.

As if we needed studies on this, several have shown that the nicer the car, the more of a jackass the driver. http://www.philly.com/...lvania/Rich-peo.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmgt83 wrote:
timbasile wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

As if we needed studies on this, several have shown that the nicer the car, the more of a jackass the driver. http://www.philly.com/...lvania/Rich-peo.html

Lots of crazy monkeys in the Bay Area... either on Weed or on Speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [cloud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloud wrote:
People need to be reminded that driving is a privilege and not a right for the simple reason that a car is a weapon!!!

THIS!!!!!! +1 million
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We held up a lot of traffic this weekend at IM 70.3 Maine (sold out). We were never asked to stop and always had a clear path to ride through intersections. However at one point a pickup truck sped by my group of riders on a rural country road doing like 80+ mph. The guy was a total nutbag, obviously pissed off and it was pretty scary. I think some tri events create road rage with motorists due to the traffic they can generate. I hope the two athletes are ok. They are lucky to be alive.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
However at one point a pickup truck sped by my group of riders on a rural country road doing like 80+ mph. The guy was a total nutbag, obviously pissed off and it was pretty scary. I think some tri events create road rage with motorists due to the traffic they can generate.

More than anything this scares the living daylights out of me when I race.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the injured parties likely have very little recourse considering she was driving without auto insurance. terrible all around. people suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

Funny, when I ride it's always the beater pickup with a gun rack veering into the shoulder five feet in front of me and blowing exhaust.
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. More often than not a beat to shit pickup "rollin coal"
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
timbasile wrote:
Funny, when I ride it's always the beater pickup with a gun rack veering into the shoulder five feet in front of me and blowing exhaust.

Exactly. I have never had a Lexus "roll coal" on me. Usually it's a rusted beater pickup.

I've also been "buzzed" by a 1999 Chevy Lumnia with the headliner falling in more often than a mint 2016 Mercedes S500.

And box trucks have almost blown me off the road more often than a Cadillac Escalade has.
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I caught the "no insurance" part too. I've seen this more and more even locally. How prevalent is it that people are out there driving without insurance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmgt83 wrote:
Driver was charged with negligent driving.

While additional charges could certainly be added on at a later date, the woman intentionally drove around/over cones in a well-marked course with sufficient warnings. Presumably she did not intentionally hit the cyclists, but at some point a driver will need to be held to a criminal standard of strict liability due to the facts and circumstances of driving a car in such an irresponsible manner. Granted, it would be a slippery-slope in applying strict liability standard, but this has to stop.

To add financial insult to very serious injuries, the driver was also charged with "operating a motor vehicle without insurance."
Last edited by: aztri81: Aug 28, 17 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [FurnaceM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FurnaceM3 wrote:
Don_W wrote:
However at one point a pickup truck sped by my group of riders on a rural country road doing like 80+ mph. The guy was a total nutbag, obviously pissed off and it was pretty scary. I think some tri events create road rage with motorists due to the traffic they can generate.

Are you racing in some bad places or something? I've done 70-80? Tris and not once had a time during a race where there was an issue.

We need to stop having panic attacks over stuff that happens a couple times a year. Yes this is miserable for the people who got hit, yes the driver should have more charges filed. No we aren't doing triathlons in Mosul and have a high risk of dying while on the bike during a race from an outside source.

My guess is we have more people that get hurt in car accidents driving to and from races than get hurt in Tris from outside sources.
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
FurnaceM3 wrote:
Don_W wrote:

Are you racing in some bad places or something? I've done 70-80? Tris and not once had a time during a race where there was an issue.

We need to stop having panic attacks over stuff that happens a couple times a year. Yes this is miserable for the people who got hit, yes the driver should have more charges filed. No we aren't doing triathlons in Mosul and have a high risk of dying while on the bike during a race from an outside source.

My guess is we have more people that get hurt in car accidents driving to and from races than get hurt in Tris from outside sources.

My point is that cars easily back up when traffic is regulated for races and all it takes is some hothead to have road rage. Do I worry about it? Sure. Does it affect my racing? No, since I have to trust the local government police/volunteers to effectively monitor these situations.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmgt83 wrote:

I feel terrible for the triathletes, however they have a strong case for suing. It's not clear whether she is uninsured or simply didn't have her papers on her. If the former, then any financial compensation could be limited. Suing may not solve for life-long problems but since attorneys offer their services for contingency in these cases they definitely should do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Two people hit by car during Chicago Triathlon [FranzZemen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's 20 with no insurance and on her way to likely short stay in jail. No lawyer is gonna touch that, no $ to recover.
Really sucks for those injured by this idiot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next