Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tunes!
Quote | Reply
Who here swims with waterproof media player and ear buds? Is there any performance gain to rockin to your favourite beats throughout your swim?

Live Free and Ride Hard

CHIMO!
Quote Reply
Re: Tunes! [2_tires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got a waterproof ipod nano for Christmas but haven't used it yet in the pool. I have a hard enough time as it is counting laps, music may make it worse!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Tunes! [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, I read an article in Men's Fitness magazine that listening to music while training improves performance by as much as 5%, not sure how accurate that is or the details of the study but was curious to see what other people thought. Shaving 5% off a swim time could make it a valuable tool!

Live Free and Ride Hard

CHIMO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been rocking a waterproof iPod in the pool for the past few months. While I don't know about the performance increase just from the tunes, it sure helps break up the monotony of doing laps in the pool. I don't get nearly as bored and find myself swimming a lot longer, so I'm sure there's some performance gains just from the longer training sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Tunes! [pangaea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah swimming longer would definitely boost performance, im gonna look into getting one of these!

Live Free and Ride Hard

CHIMO!
Quote Reply
Re: Tunes! [pangaea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the ipod holding up? Still keeping the water out?

I need a boredom solution, but the $160+ price tag I've seen has kept me from the impulse buy so far.

The Ride of Truth - OWN your ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Tunes! [Spinmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The waterproof iPod is still holding up great, I've been using it 3-4 times a week for the past couple of months.

On a related note, I did a 2.4 mile swim at a 50m pool last week. Thanks to all of the pool time I've been able to tolerate, I'm already under my Ironman swim goal time by about 8 minutes with 10 months until race day (my first IM is Cozumel at the end of the year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used my new waterproof ipod a few times. I wouldn't say I have seen performance gains but as others have said music helps break the monotony. And I lose track of how many laps I've swam just as easy.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Tunes! [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waterproof ipod is now on the wishlist :)

Live Free and Ride Hard

CHIMO!
Last edited by: 2_tires: Jan 11, 13 15:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an H2O audio ipod shuffle case, use it all of the time when I'm doing my long & lonelys. Not sure why, but I kind of prefer slower beat music, how ever Billy Squier's "The Stroke" seems to pick me a bit. Also some Bachman Turner Overdrive occasionally but I prefer that on the bike. One thing I had to give up on was listening to podcasts - had me drowning in humour one swim ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Tunes! [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too have the 1st gen iPod shuffle waterproof case that I used until this year. Loved it.
Now I got the waterproofed iPod shuffle that's internally sealed. It works great!
Had to get headphones that wrap behind the head, so earbuds stay in my ears.
Sound is decent, not great. But, mostly just use it for the bass beat, and takes my mnd off of lap after lap.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a waterproofed shuffle for over 6 years now (same one). I've beat the hell out of it and it's held up great. Getting the right earbuds is KEY. Any water gets in your ear canal and the sound stops.

I use mine for timed swims, and for short intervals (i.e. not times I need to count lots of laps). It's more to keep boredom at bay than enhance performance.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Tunes! [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Titanflexr wrote:
I've been using a waterproofed shuffle for over 6 years now (same one). I've beat the hell out of it and it's held up great. Getting the right earbuds is KEY. Any water gets in your ear canal and the sound stops.

I use mine for timed swims, and for short intervals (i.e. not times I need to count lots of laps). It's more to keep boredom at bay than enhance performance.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply