Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tucson 20 mile run suggestions
Quote | Reply
Sorry for another Tucson post but... I'm escaping the frozen north for March break and am scheduled for a 20 mile long run on March 17 when I'll be in Tucson.

Any good suggestions for a good 20 mile route? I'm staying in the north end of town, so near there would be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson 20 mile run suggestions [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The AZ Distance Classic is on the 18th in Oro Valley (just north of Tucson). Real nice race and you can just add a few to get to 20 miles. My wife and I always schedule a big training week in Tucscon this weekend and cap it off with the 1/2 marathon on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saguaro Nat'l. Park (East) go around (2x). I was in Tucson last week. Did this route on a ride. I was talking to my ride partner about this exact topic and route as a terrific IM training run. Go for a drive first. Plant a bottle and gel or two.
I believe the loop is 9 miles. (Old Spanish Tr. at Freeman Rd.).
Go early - No shade. Absolutely free of boredom. I promise. If this fails you... I owe you a beer.

www.bicitreregioni.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson 20 mile run suggestions [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AZ Distance Classic looks like it would be perfect, and close to the hotel, but unfortunately we leave from Phoenix Sunday morning. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson 20 mile run suggestions [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saguaro Nat'l Park East does look good, if I mapped it out right. Thankd for the tip - I don't think I'll be able to collect the beer. Is it very hilly? Some hills would be good since I'm training for Boston, but I don't want to destroy myself. I'd better start very early so my wife doesn't kill me for leaving her stranded for too long while I use the rental car!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=746742
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can run along the Rillito river for about 30 miles each way. Many park at Campbell and just S of River to hop on the trail. mix of dirt and pavement. There are a few water stops as well.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SNE is hilly...some short and steep and the second half of the loop is a gradual climb. It is also on pavement! I would suggest some of the many trails. On the side of town you are staying you could hit the Arizona trail and run as many miles as you want. Or you coa find some great trails in the Tucson Mountain Park (Yetman trail is my favorite) on the west side of town. If pavement is your thing you can run an out and back on a section of the Tucson Marathon course. It is on the north side as well plus there are probably mile markers still painted on the east side of the road.
PM me if you have any questions.
You can also contact the Desert Heat Tri club through their web site... http://www.tucsondesertheat.org/

P.S. I will be doing the Distance Classic as a IMAZ tune up.

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Last edited by: 115InTheShade: Mar 4, 07 15:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take her with you. Let her drop you off. She can see the desert sights, while you do a loop. Then send her south on Old Spanish Trail to help choose your retirement property.
It is hilly; however, I do believe it would be a great pre-marathon training run.

Good Luck!

www.bicitreregioni.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tucson 20 mile run suggestions [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Funny you mention retirement property, as yes, this is part of the reason for the trip. We're going to check out Saddlebrooke. And while it would be nice to escape the frozen north, I would miss not skiing - is it true there is xc and downhill skiing at Mount Lemmon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Funny you mention retirement property, as yes, this is part of the reason for the trip. We're going to check out Saddlebrooke. And while it would be nice to escape the frozen north, I would miss not skiing - is it true there is xc and downhill skiing at Mount Lemmon?

Depends on your definition of skiing! In general they don't get much more than a few feet of snow and is usually only open for 2-6 weeks out of the year. I think they have one or two runs. But a 4ish hour drive will get you to Flagstaff or the White mountains...then you can drive back to the warmth!

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com