Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trisportcanada races
Quote | Reply
Just for a lark, I went over to the trisportcanada website to see what kind of races they were offering this year only to be blown away that they are only offering 6 races this year. This use to be one of the most popular race series dare I say anywhere near the Great lakes area. 5 years ago, they had 12 races under their belt (that was when Mitch Fraser still owned the series) https://web.archive.org/...tcanada.com/home.php . Now a measly 6. And some big ones are gone like the Muskoka tri and Peterborough. I noticed that after the WTC bought that series, it was good for about a year and then slid down quickly. But I am really surprised to see the races they ditched. And I can't imagine that any of it was because of the economy or lack of growth around this area. Anyone have any ideas what happened to this one big series?
M~
Quote Reply
Re: Trisportcanada races [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at that wayback page... it doesn't seem like there's much mystery here.

One of the 12 wasn't happening in 2007 anyway.
The shuffling of the IM and 70.3 (neither of which existed in 2007) likely disrupted the Muskoka race. I think I saw this in one of their emails.
Peterborough is out this year because of construction around the park (per an email from last fall).
I've heard there's been a general falloff in interest in duathlon and two of their races were only that.

So that's 5 gone, which brings the 12 down to 7.

The Multisport series seems to be holding steady if you count # of races, while adding Barrelman.

Munq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, if you want more racing options within a single series, with a variety of distances, your best bet is MultiSport Canada.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Trisportcanada races [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having raced both TriSport and MSC races many times over the years I think part of it is MSC just puts on a better race. Also most of the TriSport races that were classics are gone so there is less general interest in that series.

John and the crew at MSC have done a great job growing their series and adding races and their effort is paying off.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Trisportcanada races [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Having raced both TriSport and MSC races many times over the years I think part of it is MSC just puts on a better race. Also most of the TriSport races that were classics are gone so there is less general interest in that series.

John and the crew at MSC have done a great job growing their series and adding races and their effort is paying off.

Agreed. John and the MSC crew work really hard and have been rewarded with a growing share of Ontario's tri market. I got my start in triathlon with TriSport, but later raced mostly with MSC. They do a great job with many aspects of the race experience, but for me the biggest draw was the higher level of competition at MSC vs TriSport races in recent years (with the exception of Muskoka 70.3).

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used today the tri sport series exclusively because that's where the big guns were. The fast dudes rarely races the multisport series. That is changing. Salt doesn't put as much emphasis on the elites add he does in the Agers and it is paying off.
I think the tri sport guys have bigger fish to fry with the "big" races the now run. Probably can't justify them all. Will be sad if Peterborough is gone. That is basically my hometown race and was hoping to do it this year.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Trisportcanada races [Darkwing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That helps explain some of the races. I do hope Peterborough manages to make it back.
I just thought it was interesting as that was THE race series for the elites (not that I was one of those). John puts on a GREAT race and I love doing his races. I always know what to expect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced mostly in the Trisport series last year as my first season and I really liked the job the team did. I also used Lakeside to test out the MSC series and get a better understanding how it compares. Many people told me "The Subaru Series is organized better" and I did see some indications of this @ Lakeside. That being said it wasn't a huge issue so I'd still put them on par when it comes to being organized. Toronto Triathlon Festival was by far the most organized of all the events I attended last year.

Things I wish RD would put into affect to make these races better:

1. Last KM of the run to be marked every 100M - I want to know when the finish line is so I can really give that last push but when I have no idea if it's 500M or 100M by that point of the race it would be nice for it to be marked.
2. Registration and Washroom facilities should be on opposite sides of the venue - There is nothing worse than crisscrossing lines of people confusing the line ups and waiting longer than you need to for either. This was the case at Lakeside and one of the Trisport races as well (can't recall which)
3. Swim start setup by pace - I know this is a pipe dream and not really feasible but I'd like to start next to people who can maintain the same pace as me during the swim. Or at least an idea of here are the people who consider themselves "strong swimmers" on the left and others to the right. This would make avoiding the slower swimmers possible and sticking with packs to draft easier.

Going back the the topic at hand ... I think the entire MSC team has done a good job and this year I've decided to do more of their races than Trisport. Hopefully next year Trisport bounces back and has an even stronger protfolio of races. Maybe add in a couple new ones if they are able to. Either way we're pretty spoiled here in Ontario as the local scene is quite robust!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply