Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triple Crown dead
Quote | Reply
I heard today that the bahrain race is dead in the water.

So no triple crown

bad luck terenzo

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No chance, but there are some change going on. Tripple crown with remain along with a different location for the Oman race. Bahrain still on.
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [afranklin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afranklin wrote:
No chance, but there are some change going on. Tripple crown with remain along with a different location for the Oman race. Bahrain still on.

Bahrain gone too.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Oman unlikely, now Bahrain and they aren't just trying to reschedule/move the events elsewhere? Do you know what the problem was?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scared me for a sec, thought you meant Triple Crown of Surfing...
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [Wetfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetfeet wrote:

hahahaha Still not used to calling it the triple crown either.

First thing I thought of was horse racing!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [Wetfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scared me for a sec, thought you meant Triple Crown of Surfing... ////

Amen!
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
Wetfeet wrote:

hahahaha Still not used to calling it the triple crown either.

First thing I thought of was horse racing!

And I thought it was the bouldering comp here in the SE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you please elaborate?

We did Bahrain last year and would be extremely surprised, given the way it was received and the objectives of the organisers, if the event did not happen this year. We are actually thinking of returning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
I heard today that the bahrain race is dead in the water.

So no triple crown

bad luck terenzo

Am also interested in where you heard this.
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Bahrain to become an Ironman event and possibly Challenge Dubai as well by the looks of it.

http://uaetriathlon.com/...ome-ironman-bahrain/
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [kerryboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerryboy wrote:
Challenge Bahrain to become an Ironman event and possibly Challenge Dubai as well by the looks of it.http://uaetriathlon.com/...ome-ironman-bahrain/[/quote[/url]]

WOW.. Very interesting. Obviously just rumor at this point, but that is some fairly compelling circumstantial evidence. I am somewhat surprised that Challenge and Dubai/Oman/Bahrain did not have a multi year contract already in place.

Wonder if the princes will continue to throw cash out there for the purse?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to know what is happening or what to believe. Can't find a copy of the picture that was posted on his feed which seems strange. Maybe he deleted it, but if so why? Trying scare Challenge, or did they let the cat out of the bag too early?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's good to be right.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kerryboy wrote:
Challenge Bahrain to become an Ironman event and possibly Challenge Dubai as well by the looks of it.http://uaetriathlon.com/...ome-ironman-bahrain/[/quote[/url]]

Is it the usual ... Ironman bought the local race organizer? Challenge's license model is NOT working for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This quote is from the front page article about Challenge dropping pro prizes. It says they have a 5 year contract and a joint venture. Not saying you are wrong just what the guy said.

What is the state of Challenge's Triple Crown in the Middle East? Oman and Bahrain? "There are rumors all around," said Mr. Szlufcik. "We have a pending discussion about Oman. Within the next 7 to 14 days we'll make the final decision. There's a problem with Yemen, significant political issues surrounding this, we have to consider athlete safety."

If the Oman race was to go away, Challenge is searching out a replacement. As for Bahrain, December 11 upcoming, "no issues with this race."

Is the Middle East an ongoing initiative, with legs, with a future? "We have a 5-year contract," said Mr. Szlufcik, noting that "Bahrain was a significant game changer. There are ups and downs everywhere in the world, but generally speaking we have a strong and committed relationship."

What about licensing versus owning? Is the bloom off the licensing rose for Challenge? "In principle, one size doesn't fit all. We license; there are small equity positions we take; and there are joint ventures, such as with Charlie Patten and in the Middle East."
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy who originally posted the pic (Saqer Al Khalifa) posted the following comments (below) to a local tri group so he might just be blowing smoke or trying to raise publicity, hard to know which. To me his comments don't confirm anything and are deliberately vague. Would be very surprised if there wasn't a signed deals in place with Challenge to stop just this kind of thing happening.

"Thanks for posting my pic. I don't mind at all, but you can ask me any question you want, it's better than rumors I would have to say that this pic can be explained the way you did, but also can be said that I'm removing Ironman to use the bag behind it.."

"All, one more important thing I have to mention in order to battle this issue that is catching some momentum with no solid ground. I no longer work for Challenge since last week. I am now only presiding over the Triathlon Association in Bahrain. So anything that comes out of me on my personal social media account is not in any way representative of Challenge. Thanks!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge has a problem. Take away Roth and they're a medium sized threat AT BEST. They have not been able to crack the North American market in any material way. They have not been able to hold a stable and steady list of races in Europe. Look at their European races from 2012-2015. Completely different save for a couple of races. They're licensing model is borderline business stupid for the licensee. Some of their races in Australia have brought in 900-1000 racers, which is certainly pretty darn good when not looked through Ironman-colored glasses. Asia is a tough nut to crack for everyone. The Middle East is turning into a disaster for them. That's what happens when you place all your hopes and prayers on the deep but fleeting pockets of the royal families. Frankly, Challenge looks incredibly naive and amateur with this triple crown stuff if these rumors turn out to be true. Promise the world but deliver almost nothing is not a way to make people happy.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the latest post from Saqer Al Khalifa (former general manager of Challenge Bahrain). He appears to be backtracking a little bit:-

"Hello [Local Tri Club Name] can you please remove your post online because it is causing me unnecessary problems with Challenge Family. I never made any official announcement but your claim is allowing Challenge Family CEO Zibi Szlufcik to believe this and posts some disrespectful and also unnecessary comments. One baseless thing is leading to another senseless thing all instigated here. Would appreciate it if you can respect my request. Again, I am not in any shape or way associated with Challenge Family while you have mentioned that I am the GM. This is wrong. Thank You."

Hard to know what the situation is now as this is not exactly a major supporting statement for the original suggestion that the event was changing.
Last edited by: kerryboy: May 16, 15 22:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are new races. Ironman did not takeover the existing Challenge races. Though I don't see how Challenge will compete with the Ironman brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
challenge in the middle east seemed to be the last hope for pro triathlon - any of the pro's going to step up and say/ do something? or finally get together and do something as a group effort?

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Re: Triple Crown dead [Chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet the ones that are on the Bahrain Endurance Team won't :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the bahrain race is on the same day as the challenge race last year - I'm betting there is no more challenge bahrain, or Dubai for that matter as there's no info on challenge website to enter them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are these new races when they take place on the same dates the Challenge events did/were going to? I havent dug into the courses enough yet to find out if they are the same.
Quote Reply

Prev Next