Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlon scene in Arizona
Quote | Reply
Hello. We currently live in Encinitas, CA. I’m due to retire in a year and we are looking at various place to move to, one of them is Arizona. My son loves triathlon and he’s almost ten. He’s been competing since he was 4 years old. Surprisingly there’s a lack of coaching, facilities for youth coaching in this area. Roads are dangerous to ride on, too many stop signs, too many traffic lights and e-bikes everywhere. Local high schools won’t let you use their running tracks and I don’t like him pounding the hard pavement too much

I’m curious if there good facilities in Arizona for youth to train on. He’s a competitive swimmer so we are also looking for a good club to swim at and he also started last year at a XC country club

Any information on AZ triathlon would be appreciated. Or other states who cater for young triathletes Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [Freeheeler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a very extensive and thriving triathlon community in AZ. I can speak to the metro Phoenix area specifically. There are many youth swim programs available.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
We have a very extensive and thriving triathlon community in AZ. I can speak to the metro Phoenix area specifically. There are many youth swim programs available.

Thanks

We were actually looking at the Chandler/Gilbert area. Schools seem good. Do you know of any good swim clubs in the area? I'll hit you up for some more information if you don't mind before we visit next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freeheeler wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Thanks

We were actually looking at the Chandler/Gilbert area. Schools seem good. Do you know of any good swim clubs in the area? I'll hit you up for some more information if you don't mind before we visit next year.

I'm in Scottsdale but I know there are some great programs in the Gilbert/Mesa area. Feel free!

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The riding in Phoenix is definitely not ideal like Tucson is.. Oro valley area with access to Mt Lemmon would be ideal for riding. Much much safer.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
The riding in Phoenix is definitely not ideal like Tucson is.. Oro valley area with access to Mt Lemmon would be ideal for riding. Much much safer.

This is objectively not true. The riding options in the entire East Valley, North Valley area's are many, nearly all have bike lanes, and our road surfaces are much better.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel the pace of life in Phoenix is much faster than Tucson hence the respect for cyclist is next to nothing. Tucson on the other hand is low key and its almost part of the culture there.
More to do in Phoenix for sure though
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
I feel the pace of life in Phoenix is much faster than Tucson hence the respect for cyclist is next to nothing. Tucson on the other hand is low key and its almost part of the culture there.
More to do in Phoenix for sure though

"Phoenix" is huge. Communities like Scottsdale, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, Carefree, Cave Creek, and Fountain Hills are all in the east, north easy valley and offer a very traditional bedroom community lifestyle. Having spent time in Oro Valley, it's fine but I don't find it very bike friendly at all, the traffic is terrible. Mt Lemmon? How many times are you going to do that ride? It's fine every now and then but hardly conducive to daily training.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Leucadia for over a decade back in the 80's early 90's, and have been back many times and know what you mean. It was such a different place back then, and I would think you were crazy for leaving, but not now. The only real plus of course is the ocean right there, so if you surf, then that is going to be gone.

I also have many friends that are living in AZ, most in Tucson. That seems to be the consensus for a sports lifestyle, but man, that 4 to 5 months of extreme heat will have to be accounted for. Like the Palm Springs area, it is one of the best climates for 6 months during the cold winter months, but you literally have to get out of town, or go inside for at least 4+ months.

If it were me, and I have looked a bit over the years, I would find a place that is 4k to 5.5k ft in altitude. That takes a bit off the top of those 110+ days they routinely get now, and usually you can go higher to drop it 10+ more degrees. Chance of some snow, but not much usually, and of course a bit colder in the winter. But usually those spots you can get down pretty quickly and some nice crisp winter rides.

Will leave it to locals to clue you in on these areas, as I dont know anything about the swim kid and schools in those areas. Good luck, I would absolutely take AZ over Texas, even the coastal spots there suck now...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I lived in Leucadia for over a decade back in the 80's early 90's, and have been back many times and know what you mean. It was such a different place back then, and I would think you were crazy for leaving, but not now. The only real plus of course is the ocean right there, so if you surf, then that is going to be gone.

I also have many friends that are living in AZ, most in Tucson. That seems to be the consensus for a sports lifestyle, but man, that 4 to 5 months of extreme heat will have to be accounted for. Like the Palm Springs area, it is one of the best climates for 6 months during the cold winter months, but you literally have to get out of town, or go inside for at least 4+ months.

If it were me, and I have looked a bit over the years, I would find a place that is 4k to 5.5k ft in altitude. That takes a bit off the top of those 110+ days they routinely get now, and usually you can go higher to drop it 10+ more degrees. Chance of some snow, but not much usually, and of course a bit colder in the winter. But usually those spots you can get down pretty quickly and some nice crisp winter rides.

Will leave it to locals to clue you in on these areas, as I dont know anything about the swim kid and schools in those areas. Good luck, I would absolutely take AZ over Texas, even the coastal spots there suck now...

Yes, we have a place up in the White Mountains of AZ at 6200 feet where we spend our summers. AZ living is greatly improved if you have the ability to have a second home. You can't live in these mountain communities with kids, however, the schools are terrible up there.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting a second home in Arizona at some point as a winter getaway, and eventually to establish residency there as the state taxes are much lower than where I live (MN). I am a pretty serious amateur triathlete and obviously know about the Tuscon triathlon scene from all the famous youtubers that live there. Does anyone have some insight as to what life is like in Tuscon? Specifically, what are the people like, is there decent shopping there, and are the roads really as bad as people make them out to be for riding? I have been to Phoenix/Scottsdale several times and thought the training opportunities there were excellent. If you had the choice, would you choose Tuscon or Scottsdale? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Freeheeler wrote:
Hello. We currently live in Encinitas, CA. I’m due to retire in a year and we are looking at various place to move to, one of them is Arizona. My son loves triathlon and he’s almost ten. He’s been competing since he was 4 years old. Surprisingly there’s a lack of coaching, facilities for youth coaching in this area. Roads are dangerous to ride on, too many stop signs, too many traffic lights and e-bikes everywhere. Local high schools won’t let you use their running tracks and I don’t like him pounding the hard pavement too much

I’m curious if there good facilities in Arizona for youth to train on. He’s a competitive swimmer so we are also looking for a good club to swim at and he also started last year at a XC country club

Any information on AZ triathlon would be appreciated. Or other states who cater for young triathletes Thanks

I spent many years living in Tucson and living in many locations in FL (West Palm-area, Naples-area, Clermont). I really think that Clermont FL is sort of an idea place, although amongst pro triathletes it seems like Tucson has fallen back en vogue.

For starters we have easily accessible lakes to practice crucial open-water swimming. Sara McClarty, a former pro, gator swimmer, and nearly Olympian (in swimming) runs a youth triathlon training program. We have some great bike paths and some ideal places for sort of trail running plus the bike paths make for great running. We have hills for riding, although no mountains. No state income tax, and probably the best feature is that the mornings are much more palatable than AZ. AZ mornings are cold and will be a big change from CA. FL mornings are very pleasant. Then there is the summer heat, FL, although moist AF, is totally doable in the summers. The only things I don't like about summer is the unpredictably of rain in afternoons and the fact that it makes winter feel much colder as you get very used to the heat.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Dec 5, 23 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thebigturtle wrote:
I am looking at getting a second home in Arizona at some point as a winter getaway, and eventually to establish residency there as the state taxes are much lower than where I live (MN). I am a pretty serious amateur triathlete and obviously know about the Tuscon triathlon scene from all the famous youtubers that live there. Does anyone have some insight as to what life is like in Tuscon? Specifically, what are the people like, is there decent shopping there, and are the roads really as bad as people make them out to be for riding? I have been to Phoenix/Scottsdale several times and thought the training opportunities there were excellent. If you had the choice, would you choose Tuscon or Scottsdale? Thanks.

Let me be perfectly frank. Oro Valley is ...nice. It's fine. The rest of Tucson is not very nice. At all. Scottsdale is far nicer, safer, and has excellent schools. Yes it's expensive but that's how you get nice with good schools.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Thebigturtle wrote:

Let me be perfectly frank. Oro Valley is ...nice. It's fine. The rest of Tucson is not very nice. At all. Scottsdale is far nicer, safer, and has excellent schools. Yes it's expensive but that's how you get nice with good schools.

My wife and I lived in Tucson (near UA-ish) and then Scottsdale (near Fashion Square-ish) in 2016-2019 and 2019-2021, respectively.

Cycling is phenomenal in Tucson. If you can take questionable roads and sometimes VERY rural routes with little to no opportunities to re-stock on the ride. I enjoyed riding my bike a lot more in Tucson than I did in Scottsdale. But, my interest in cycling in general was waning past 2019 so I never really got that involved in Scottsdale area cycling. Running is probably better in Scottsdale. Lots of greenway, like Tucson, but more groups and I think nicer areas to run in. Swimming is swimming to me, I think Scottsdale is probably better but no swimming is that enjoyable and in both places it's all outdoors so it's better than "regular" swimming although I don't know it will be an improvement over Encinitas.

Tucson has a LOT of character (think: Tucson lets the desert to its doorstep and Phoenix paves the desert away), much more so than PHX area, but in almost every measurable way it is not as nice a place to live. We would move back to Scottsdale in a heartbeat, we would not move back to Tucson in a heartbeat (even though we liked it there).
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Well in AZ, those elevation constraints pretty much limit you to Prescott or Sedona/Cottonwood. We are in Sedona, but don't have kids, so I can't opine on anything related to that.

Lots of good road/gravel riding around Prescott, and world class MTB here in Sedona. Good riding in summer up in Flagstaff. Lake Mary & Mormon Lake route is a gem. We fairly regularly see world class runners down here at the high school track. No idea what the youth swim programs are like.

Couldn't pay me to live down in the Valley. Too frigging hot for too many months. Did have a great time riding the Century event down at Tour de Tucson last month...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Freeheeler wrote:

I spent many years living in Tucson and living in many locations in FL (West Palm-area, Naples-area, Clermont). I really think that Clermont FL is sort of an idea place, although amongst pro triathletes it seems like Tucson has fallen back en vogue.

For starters we have easily accessible lakes to practice crucial open-water swimming. Sara McClarty, a former pro, gator swimmer, and nearly Olympian (in swimming) runs a youth triathlon training program. We have some great bike paths and some ideal places for sort of trail running plus the bike paths make for great running. We have hills for riding, although no mountains. No state income tax, and probably the best feature is that the mornings are much more palatable than AZ. AZ mornings are cold and will be a big change from CA. FL mornings are very pleasant. Then there is the summer heat, FL, although moist AF, is totally doable in the summers. The only things I don't like about summer is the unpredictably of rain in afternoons and the fact that it makes winter feel much colder as you get very used to the heat.

I'd love to get down there one of these days. Thomas, I'm coming down for a training camp and hope to catch up...

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon scene in Arizona [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water swimming in Florida lakes? I would like to hear more about this. Do the gators just leave people alone? Also, how big are these hills? 2-3 minute climbs or more? thx.
Quote Reply