Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must live in a sad world. This couldn't be less true for the people I know in the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could have been using a noodle all this time? Damn! I knew something was missing.

Partially-Hydrogenated
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean to tell me that you do not know at least one person such as described in the WSJ article? I think you must be living on the moon.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>And are there really races with the water noodles? I've never heard of that.

I'm not sure you can swim with a noodle (misunderstanding by the article's author?) but at the Seattle Danskin, the rescue canoes carry swim noodles they extend to participants who need a break. At least that has happened in the past. I moved away from the area, maybe it all changed for 2005's event. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [klbarrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]>And are there really races with the water noodles? I've never heard of that.

I'm not sure you can swim with a noodle (misunderstanding by the article's author?) but at the Seattle Danskin, the rescue canoes carry swim noodles they extend to participants who need a break. At least that has happened in the past. I moved away from the area, maybe it all changed for 2005's event. ;)[/reply]

No, all the Danskin events allow the swimmer to stop and rest on the noodle. You cannot move forward with one (just one of many errors in the author's article).

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cost of first tri:

shoes $45 . Adidas running shoes on sale at Academy.

bike $34 . 1983 Fuji road bike from local Goodwill. $14 of the 34 were spent on new tires.

water bottle $3 . If i had know that Jack and Adams was giving one for free with the registration packet i would have saved the $3.

Registration for Rookie Triathlon . $45

Not bad.

Since i have spent about $700 bucks on a new bike, bike shorts, aero bards, tri-cycling shoes and pedals. my second tri is september 5th but i dont expect to spend much more money on gear for a while.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting article. When reading it we're all forced to see our little world through the author's eyes and biases for a moment. We may agree or disagree with the perspective.

I'll express dismay at one thing: The WSJ is printing phrases like "talking to a cutie?" I hope this was in the weekend section. ;)

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like the author of this article to go out and try an Olympic, or even a Sprint, and then tell me how "easy" it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I just need to make more friends:)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [brett c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, it's a Friday article. WSJ will typically inject a little lightheartedness on Fridays to wind up what for most of their readers has been a very long week.

WSJ frequently runs articles about trends and pop culture as this has relevance to the business community and to those who might like to invest in cos with growth potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$75,000/year spent on triathlon seems a bit extreme to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [trichatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy is a chairman of a hedge fund so it is probably a drop in the bucket and pale in comparison to what someone like Ellison spends on boating.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [noob411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
the average household income of subscribers to "Triathlete" magazine is $155,000,
AHAHAHAHA! I'm obviously not included in this demographic.
Classic. I mean come on, who could possibly get by on that small of an income!!!???

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/reply]Classic. I mean come on, who could possibly get by on that small of an income!!!???[/reply]

Oh I know! My bike costs at least that much. ;-)

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [trichatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]$75,000/year spent on triathlon seems a bit extreme to me.[/reply]

If it includes travel, maybe not. He (Licari) lives on both coasts, so he probably has multiple bikes and gym/trainer membership costs. Plus, you know he doesn't travel coach.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, all the Danskin events allow the swimmer to stop and rest on the noodle. You cannot move forward with one (just one of many errors in the author's article).

Distinction without much difference. If you need to stop and rest on a noodle in the first leg of a triathlon, maybe you should stick to jogging.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WSJ should just stick to it's strengths, like sucking up to W.

Funny, I can't figure out who's payola got this article printed. Usually in the WSJ it's pretty obvious in the first couple paragraghs who's interest they are trying to serve.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [adm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
WSJ should just stick to it's strengths, like sucking up to W.

Funny, I can't figure out who's payola got this article printed. Usually in the WSJ it's pretty obvious in the first couple paragraghs who's interest they are trying to serve.

LOL

Most objective paper in the country, dude, like it or not.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon makes the Wall Street Journal [adm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!!

The 10,000 nonrelated to politics post that is used to bash the president.

Congratulations you win an all-expense paid trip to Crawford, TX....

please go to:

www.puhleez.com

(commence flaming on 3,2,1...mark!!)

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote: "New this summer: divisions that dispense with running in favor of power-walking. "Just because you've had a knee replacement doesn't mean you can't get out there and compete," says Gary Morgan."

Comment: I'm so glad they finally came out with those new triathlons where you are allowed to walk. Back in the old days it was sad when people with knee problems weren't allowed to race, because they couldn't run. Heck, I remember wanting to slow down and walk, but was worried about incurring a penalty. Thank goodness for these new walk-friendly races. (read: sarcasm)
Quote Reply

Prev Next