Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon from Athlete's Perspective
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of sunglasses that have a 720p video camera on them, so I decided to borrow my friends GoPro and use these two devices to record an entire triathlon. Then, I just cut out most of the boring parts (almost everything) and threw in some music and text commentary.

Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4yiAu9-tG8
Last edited by: jakobsandberg: Aug 21, 14 19:46
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon from Athlete's Persepctive [jakobsandberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, enjoyed it. It would be fun to periodically show your heart rate.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon from Athlete's Persepctive [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than that first song making me want to punch babies, it was a cool video. Always interesting to see other races.

Quote | Reply
Thanks! This was my first time dabbling into basic video editing, so I was curious to see what I can come up with.

If I make another at some point, I like the idea of trying to integrate my pace or power (don't use a HR monitor) to give some perspective.
Last edited by: jakobsandberg: Aug 18, 14 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jakobsandberg wrote:
I have a pair of sunglasses that have a 720p video camera on them, so I decided to borrow my friends GoPro and use these two devices to record an entire triathlon. Then, I just cut out most of the boring parts (almost everything) and threw in some music and text commentary.

Very interesting!!! My only minor comment is that your video makes the 1/4 mi swim appear about equal time-wise to the bike and the 5K run, whereas i'm sure your swim time was only a mere fraction of you B and R times, but this is just a minor quibble:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon from Athlete's Persepctive [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
jakobsandberg wrote:

Very interesting!!! My only minor comment is that your video makes the 1/4 mi swim appear about equal time-wise to the bike and the 5K run, whereas i'm sure your swim time was only a mere fraction of you B and R times, but this is just a minor quibble:)

Not watched the video yet (on mobile) but there was a time when that split would be an alarmingly accurate portrayal of my swim times ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool video, thanks for sharing. For what parts of the video did you use the GoPro?

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

And what bothers you about that? If I showed coverage of the sports proportional to the length of time it took to complete them, 50% of my video would be of me cycling, which in my opinion is the most boring of the three to watch in a POV perspective. Also, that would mean I would only have 30-40 seconds to show the swim leg, which I think is the most intriguing of the three in a POV perspective.

joelcox wrote:
Cool video, thanks for sharing. For what parts of the video did you use the GoPro?

Thank you! I only used the GoPro for the swim (and the run to T1).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice Video.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reposted on my Facebook account for non-triathletes to see. Thanks!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice video!

I think some of your competitors need to learn that aerobars don't make you go faster unless you actually use them, and I wonder whether without the GoPro slowing down your hydrodynamics you might have made the podium...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job. And smart of you to pick a shorter race for this.

I never realized the swim was so topsy-turvy. I mean, I get why it looks that way on camera, but this feels way more washing-machine-esque than any swim I've ever done. Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool video...that looks like a fun race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were several times in that video that I had to stop watching due to the camera motion, especially during the swim. I was surprised to see so many on the bike not on tri-bikes. Fun to see you count down your places in the race.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon from Athlete's Persepctive [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked that. I did the July Tri for Fun (was this August's?) and it was fun replaying the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That narrow bike lane with rumble strips all down the side is certainly less than idea for a race! Was anyone actually riding to the far right as they should, looked like you had to tell all of them to move over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was fun to watch (and got me nervous for my race coming up). Thanks for posting.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jakobsandberg wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

And what bothers you about that? If I showed coverage of the sports proportional to the length of time it took to complete them, 50% of my video would be of me cycling, which in my opinion is the most boring of the three to watch in a POV perspective. Also, that would mean I would only have 30-40 seconds to show the swim leg, which I think is the most intriguing of the three in a POV perspective.

Understand that the swim is more intriguing to watch on camera; my comment just goes back to my long-standing beef that triathlon is mostly a bike-and-run-centric sport with the swim just a warm-up. Never mind, i know it will never change:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great video.

how did you record the swim and run?

was the camera on your head?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon from Athlete's Persepctive [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
I liked that. I did the July Tri for Fun (was this August's?) and it was fun replaying the course.

Yeah, this was August's race, just this last weekend. It is a pretty cool race series, and I particularly like the course; in fact, I did all three of their summer triathlons!

trifreemc wrote:
That narrow bike lane with rumble strips all down the side is certainly less than idea for a race! Was anyone actually riding to the far right as they should, looked like you had to tell all of them to move over.

It was not ideal, though it was still very manageable. Most of the guys riding near me used up the entire lane, so I usually had to shout at them from behind so that I could squeeze by them.

trix99 wrote:
great video.

how did you record the swim and run?

was the camera on your head?

Thank you! I used a GoPro on my head (using the head straps) during the swim, and then a pair of video-recording sunglasses (iVue: http://www.ivuecamera.com/...720p-camera-glasses/) on the bike and the run. I took the GoPro off in T1 and wrapped it in my swim cap so as to make it less visible, and then I put on the sunglasses, which I wore all the way through the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm honestly surprised to see so many positive comments! I tried to make it short and non-technical, mostly to appeal to non-triathletes. A lot of my friends have asked me questions about the sport of triathlon, and part of the reason I wanted to make a video like this was to help demonstrate the sport to them.

I'm considering filming another event in a couple weeks, and I'm hoping I can do a much better job with the filming and editing on my second go. What kind of things do you think would make a new video more interesting?

I was thinking about adding a few segments of voice-over commentary, along with some kind of widget that displays current event progress and pace/power. I also want to find a way to get footage of myself in T1, so as to make the whole video more continuous, in addition to getting better shots of the transition process (e.g. look down and record my feet while getting in/out of shoes on the bike, doing a flying dismount, etc.).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was the water level? Much different from July's? I'd like to do the race in September but am concerned about the water level/quality after so many dry months.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon from Athlete's Persepctive [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
How was the water level? Much different from July's? I'd like to do the race in September but am concerned about the water level/quality after so many dry months.

I didn't notice a big difference from July, but it's very possible things will change between now and the race in September. Although I wanted to their September race as well, I'll be in Santa Cruz that weekend doing the Big Kahuna Triathlon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun race--I remember the tri-for-fun series out in Pleasanton. Would have been in 5th overall without all the drag of the GoPro. :P

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool video. I had to fast forward the swim. The side to side motion was getting me sea sick.

Do you find it comfortable to run your aerobars so close together. Seems like one hand has to partially overlap the other. I always felt like I didn't have control of the bike when I was set up like that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next