Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases
Quote | Reply
What are some phrases that you hear often and want to cut out tongues?

I'll start.

"I have no idea what my fitness level is"

This phrase, after having done V02 testing, lactate threshold testing, and maybe more than 2 weeks experience in triathlon.

Next _____________________

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of people will say that their tires are 28C.

What does the C mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œDidnā€™t have the legsā€ / ā€œLegs didnā€™t show up on the bikeā€

Which can mean all sorts of things, I didnā€™t train enough, I trained too much, I tapered badly, Iā€™m just not as fast as I like to think I am. But makes it sound like it was entirely out of your control and not your fault that your pesky legs went missing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hate the phrase: ā€œfiring on all cylindersā€.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Mar 16, 24 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you want to sound original, like the 625 153 people that used the phrase before, you talk about someone ā€œpunching their ticket to Konaā€.

The fancy version for 87 764 insiders is truncated to just ā€œpunching their ticketā€.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the one virtually every pro used after having a great race last weekend;

"I havent done any speed work and still in the early build phase of my season".

If that really is the case, then stop what your schedule has you doing going forward, and just do more of the same. You likely get overtrained, stale, and sluggish on what you think you need to do, and race much fresher when you are pulling back, just saying....
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tempo and threshold training/workouts/pacing get thrown out a lot but seem to mean slightly or massively different things to each individual so both terms are near meaningless to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The hay is in the barn"

/yawn

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ā€œThe body wasnā€™t feeling itā€

I love rim brake bikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"clean pair of heels"
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [juniormint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
".......they deserved to win!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything spectators yell at you on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"...the likes of (insert well-known athlete name)"

so basically the phrase used by all commentators ubiquitously during live event streams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we add maurten move to this list? šŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Tempo and threshold training/workouts/pacing get thrown out a lot but seem to mean slightly or massively different things to each individual so both terms are near meaningless to me.

this is it for me. there's so much sloppy use of terminology in 'sport science' that half the time i'm not sure anyone knows what anyone else is talking about. zones, thresholds, power, HR, vo2, etc etc. hell, just ask 10 different people what "tempo" means.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [Slug Duck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slug Duck wrote:
"...the likes of (insert well-known athlete name)"

so basically the phrase used by all commentators ubiquitously during live event streams

thank you! where did this trend come from?

"he's got the likes of dave smith ahead of him on the bike."

no, he just has dave smith ahead of him on the bike.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Dave Smith"

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Not the day I wanted..."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listening to mtb riders talk about a trail OR person having ā€œflowā€. ā€œFlow all dayā€ with serene pictures of smooth banked corners.

OK, not much flow on some trails and some smooth trails with a crap rider still wonā€™t have ā€œflowā€.

Cat 4:5 riders posting about ā€œspeed workā€ like theyā€™re a freaking track sprinter but they donā€™t even have the aerobic base to even make the lead group to sprint for anything but a pack finish.

Group ride paces: ā€œchill paceā€ means everyone is antsy as hell for a few miles till the first person puts in a dig. ā€œA ridesā€ that donā€™t even break 20mph because you have a dozen B riders in the group intent on taking 5min pulls.

Runners just ā€œrunning tempoā€ at 190bpm and 6:00/mi. Or any endurance sport workout mislabeling by a whole two zones to try to look macho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the run coverage where they inevitably go into their shpeel about how if you want to know what it is like to run a marathon at this pace then just go out to your high school track and try and run a lap in under a minuteā€¦yep, totally the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mislabeling by a whole two zones to try to look macho.

....LOVE THIS ONE!

my zone 2 starts where your zone 4 ends.... in a coma

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTFU

:0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"timed it to absolute perfection"

I didn't realize there were degrees of perfection. Either something is perfect, or it's not.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon and other endurance sports: cliches or vague and meaningless phrases [501chorusecho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
501chorusecho wrote:
During the run coverage where they inevitably go into their shpeel about how if you want to know what it is like to run a marathon at this pace then just go out to your high school track and try and run a lap in under a minuteā€¦yep, totally the same thing.

I used to watch Mark Conover run on the track at Cal Poly SLO doing half miles and every lap was 68 seconds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next