Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads
Quote | Reply
Just some observations.

Why do triathletes in a road race chase down their team mates?
Why do triathletes in a road race spend 90% of their time at the front, take more than their fair share of pulls and then complain when they finish 22nd?

I know the answers to these q's, but i still can't fathom them.

Please feel free to add other observations or start another thread about roadies at triathlons.

FYI - i am a triathlete, don't ride a tri bike - have stock road bike, MTB more than i road ride and do ORT's.

Rick V.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [SaskRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you can not legally draft, why is your position an issue?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clarification on obs #2, 50 people in a Cat. 4 race is huge around here and 30 would be ave., therefore finishing 22nd is BOP and everyone knows FOP triathletes hate finishing BOP in swimming races, running races, cycling races, Scottish Highland games, pee holding contests and dwarf tossing - my apologoies for that one.

Rick.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [SaskRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do triathletes in a road race stick their powerbars to the top tube? That's just gross.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Carl Spackler [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I misread. A tri person in a road road. They do not know how to draft.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I misread.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A fish out of water comes to mind, when thinking about a triathlete in a road race. Triathletes know only how to ride at or slightly below lactate threshold. They can't sprint any faster than a 6 year old on a tricycle. Their only real chance is to go off the front. Any true roadie can draft. Race unfolds as follows: Triathlete tows the group, roadie drafts, roadie sprints, race is over.

With a proper bike, any triathlete can lead the pack in style!

http://www.bikefriday.com/...-forrest-Roberts.jpg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do roadies post on a triathlon forum?

Home: Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of us do both..:)

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

http://physasst.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they are doing these things, it's simply that they have no knowledge of road racing tactics. Explain the tactics to them. If they don't take your advice, then they are simply idiots, and worthy of your ridicule and scorn.

BTW, I know plenty of trigeeks that road race and do not do the things that you describe.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clarification on obs #2, 50 people in a Cat. 4 race is huge around here and 30 would be ave.,

I don’t know how it is for you, but when I was a Cat 4, team tactics did not exist. You simply went as hard as you can and the entire race was one of attrition. Nobody knew anything but “Go hard, or go home.” One race we did, me and another guy rode away from the Cat 4 field on the one bike hill of the first lap and did the two-man time trial until we caught the Cat 1, 2, 3 field and passed them. Not trying to say we were monsters, but in low category racing tactics just don’t come into play. And the 1, 2, 3’s were going 100 miles while we were doing 50, so they were in no rush to get things started.

If they want to do well at races then they will figure it out or quit. I don’t think it is a ‘triathlete’ problem as much as a “new to bike racing” problem.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the tactics Chad, generally there are non. Courses and conditions come into play as well. However, more often than not tri guys in a road race do dumb things and it is not from a lack of knowledge. I know guys that have done 10+ road races and they still do these things, so it isn't a new to road racing phenom.

I also know tri guys that have got it and ride more to win than to work hard.

Maybe most tri guys are just looking for another hard workout. I just don't know sometimes.

Cheers! Rick.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why do roadies post on a triathlon forum?

Home: Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
Well, that's pretty snobby.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's an honest question. Especially when they get all bently about, well, triathlon stuff!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do triathletes in a road race stick their powerbars to the top tube?

I am not sure why either. There is a very simple, classic and elegant solution for this - the back pocket of your jersey.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing a road race in Prospect Park, Crooklyn tomorrow (Cat.4) so i'll try to answer these questions.

Since it's only Cat.4 though I may just ride off the front....
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roadies are roadies.

Triathletes are triathletes.

In my case, I was a roadie for the better part of 6 years, and then started racing Tri's. You'll never see the gap in mindsets bridged, so just sing a verse of "Why Can't We Be Friends?" and ride on. Some roadies will talk to you, most won't. What can you do?

Train like hell. Go for brick runs after your crit. Wave and smile. Then eat 3x more than they can. That's what you can do.

Being happy about your sport is all that matters, right? Last night in my Thursday Night Crit I was just honking along in the back, sitting in the bus at 30+. The wind was light, and the field was smooth. It was just SWEET. Coming down the straightaway I looked over at the guy next to me and said, "Whoo! Man. E-Ticket ride." He just smiled and rode up the bunch. I can't help it; when I'm on my bike and not at my desk, it's all good.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's only okay if your chasing down team mates.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [Hurricane Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to disagree here. Both "roadie" and "triathlete" labels really just serve to reinforce stereotypes. All they do in my mind is polarize people. Personally, I race bikes, race triathlons, race 10ks, race open water swims, and watch TV. I am neither a roadie, triathlete, runner, swimmer, nor couch potato.

People who are learning to race bikes spend too much time at the front and chase down their friends. That has nothing to do with whether they have completed triathlons. It has everything to do with how few bike races they have completed.

Singling out people who compete in triathlons as having poor tactics and strategy in bike races is inaccurate. Falling into the polarized view of the world just increases the power of people in politics and marketing roles to influence us. (Not a good thing if you ask me.)

-Marc

In Reply To:
Roadies are roadies.

Triathletes are triathletes.

. . .
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [MarcK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marc,

I certainly see your point and agree with you about sweeping generalizations/stereotypes. But this is more than marketing: The triathlete mindset is so radically different from the road racing mindset, of course their first experiences at road racing are going to be a shambles.

I've seen it time and time again; They show up for the training crit. They ride in their aerobars. Guys freak out and scream at them. Triathlete attacks, rides off the front. Gets caught. Gets dropped. Talks to me, "Man, these guys are @ssholes, aren't they?" While some guys are indeed @ssholes (be they roadie or triathlete), it has nothing to do with the situation that just unfolded.

In triathlon it's you vs. the course, you vs. yourself, and sometimes, you vs. the other guy.

In road racing it's you vs. everyone else (except your teammates, most of the time). It's kill-or-be-killed; Julius Caesar on two wheels. You aren't supposed to be nice - being nice is weak.

When I was in breakaways when I raced USCF (Cat 3 - total career earnings, $25, one T-Shirt, one Power Bar), I used to try and talk to guys to get an edge. I wanted to know what they were thinking - if they were in this for the moment, or for the long haul. Of course, this almost never worked. I usually got blank stares, sort of the, "Dude. WTF?" look. Maybe it was because I could still talk at high heart rates, who knows. I was just having a great time racing, and that really messed with them.

But I rarely won. I wasn't mean enough. You've got to be mean to win on the bike. You've got to short pull, glass pedal, and expose guys to more wind than you. If he looks right to see where you are, you sit on his left to piss him off. If you've got a teammate up the road, you sit on his wheel and wave (maybe smile) when he flicks his elbow to pull through.

Road Racing is the anti-triathlon. We all know that on the run if you fall in-step with someone and maybe share a salt tab (if needed), by the time you reach the finish line, you'll probably know the guys (or girls) entire family history. In Road Racing, the conversations are usually much shorter. "Go, GO!" "Oh, F*ck you. You go!"

In my experience, it's just that the sports breed different mindsets, and therefore, will always be looking at the world through different Oakleys.

(Oh, no he didn't....)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [Hurricane Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well put Bob. Couldn't agree more.

Rick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why do triathletes in a road race chase down their team mates?"

At a recent Crit, Team Jelly Belly spent the last 10 laps massed at the front chasing down a break that had been away for at least 20 laps with their team mate in it. Since they all had ear pieces, I can't believe it was an accident. So maybe the answer is triathletes practice team tactics at the highest professional level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well put Bob. Couldn't agree more.

Rick.

+ 1. For once, an intelligent, well worded reply in one of these threads that seems aligned with both points of view.

I vote we sticky this reply, then insta-ban anyone who starts another of these threads with serious intent. If people want to start more of these threads for the sake of pure hilarity, that's fine, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathletes at Road Races WTF - more on the roadie vs tri mindset threads [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At a recent Crit, Team Jelly Belly spent the last 10 laps massed at the front chasing down a break that had been away for at least 20 laps with their team mate in it. Since they all had ear pieces, I can't believe it was an accident. So maybe the answer is triathletes practice team tactics at the highest professional level.

You do realize that there are valid tactical reasons for such a move. I don't know what the specific situation here was, but perhaps the teammate in the breakaway had only a minute chance of winning the sprint??

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next