Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlete Mag and Ironman Events
Quote | Reply
Is there a financial connection between Triathlete Magazine and Ironman? I've noticed all the race coverage in Triathlete Mag seems to be pretty IM heavy. And they never have any sort of "Road to Alcatraz" or "Road to USAT Nationals" supplement to their magazine, just the "Road to Kona/Clearwater." If I remember correctly, Triathlete is a sponsor of IM, so maybe that is their motivation, but I wonder if Triathlete Magazine's heavy focus on IM is linked to a money trail. Are they owned by the same person or corporation?

Reading Triathlete Magazine, it would appear the triathlon community cares solely about IM races, which is not the case at all.

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Mag and Ironman Events [zone2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are other distances than IM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah really! Nothing on the Sarhara runners either!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorta
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ironman events and Ironman Hawaii in Particular has taken on the role in triathlon that the Tour de France has in cycling. Not exactly the same, as the Tour de France is for Professionals only while IMH is a Pro/Am event, but they are similar in the sense that each event gets a HUGE amount of focus and media coverage( perhaps even hype), that is likley bigger than the events really deserve. This obviously gives the events a much higher profile than they would normally get and in some cases transcends the sport itself. Ask someone on the street to name a cycling event and the Tour de France is likley the one they will say - not Paris-Roubaix. Ask someone on the street to name a triathlon event and more then likley that will say Ironman Hawaii - not Escape from Alcatraz.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Mag and Ironman Events [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That may be true, but since the magazine isn't catering to the general public but instead to a rather niche audience, I would like to see something else reported on in the magazine than just blatant IM event promotion. Triathlete Magazine never has anything on ITU races, or on USAT races; for the most part they only cover IM races.

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I don't agree with the postion of the magazine personally. I would like to see more coverage of the ITU races and other non IM races. However, I do respect an organization such as Triathlete magazine that they have done their reserach and this is what I suspect both their subscribers and their advertisers want.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 9, 07 19:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good questions and one that I asked John Duke last year. According to him, the only connection is that Triathlete magazine is a sponsor of IMNA events and that is all. But follow the paper trail. John Duke owns Triathlete magazine. John Duke is also a part owner of Multisports.com, Paul Huddle is race director of a couple of the Ironman and half IM races. Paula NF is the president of whatever company they are calling it now instead of IMNA.
Anything wrong with all of that, no not really. But you can see where the tilt comes from on the magazine. As a whole, that group has done very well for themselves and the sport,e ven if they do tilt everything Ironman way. I agree with Fleck though and wish they would cover more of the ITU and other national caliber events to the extent that they cover Ironman.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply