Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri season is over for me. Help me pick a road bike.
Quote | Reply
I front loaded my tri season by doing the NOLA & Chatt HIMs already & while I will do some sprints & OLYs over the summer, I don't have any more "A" races left. I am doing the Chicago Marathon in October & working to get to a BQ, so I will be running a lot all summer. However, I want to get better on the bike for 2017, as that is my weakest area. I will be mixing in a lot of riding to mix up my training, but it will be very different riding from what I have been doing. A lot more base building rather than race specific training. I only own a tri bike right now, and I would like to get a roadie to log a bunch of summer miles on. I do not plan to do any road races (at least not at this time), so that's not a deciding factor. My question is, what road bike will be the best to help me improve?

I currently have an FTP of 240 (up from 218 last year). My goal for the start of next year is to get that to 270 or better. My weight bounces between 175-189 with 175 being my ideal race weight. Climbs are where I get passed in races, but on flats & downhills, I pass more people than those who pass me. In Chatt last weekend, only three people passed me before the halfway point, but after that, the speedies all caught up to me. I want to be able to hold most of them off for the full ride next year.

I'd like a bike that matches the components on my tri bike (Ultegra 11sp) to make things easy from a maintenance & parts sharing perspective. That said, I'm looking for the bike that would help me improve the most, so I'm just as interested in hearing about what bike style (light vs aero) would help me more than what make & model would be best suited. I know the ultimate answer is to put in the miles on whatever I can find, but since I'm looking to pick up a new bike, I'm looking for the ideal setup to improve.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri season is over for me. Help me pick a road bike. [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am partial to my S3, built with 105. But anything with an 11 speed drivetrain that you enjoy riding is best.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Tri season is over for me. Help me pick a road bike. [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude a road bike is more or less a road bike. Walk into any bike shop and pick the one that fits you well. Problem solved.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my opinion is that you should look at endurance style bikes since you are not going to race it. (something like the giant defy advanced, but not specifically recommending that one, since they come with disc brakes now). In this case, the best bike is the one you will ride the most often, logging lots of miles on. i wouldn't pay the extra for "super light" or "aero".
Quote Reply
Re: Tri season is over for me. Help me pick a road bike. [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really do not think you can go wrong with a Specialized Tarmac. To me that will be my next road bike they pretty much do it all.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A light or aero road bike is not going to make you faster on your tri bike. Just go find one with 11 speed 105 in a color you like and get your seat height and hip angle close to your tri bike position.

Of course if you are really training for a marathon you are not going to make improvements on your bike, because you are going to be running too much. Unless you lose lots of weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri season is over for me. Help me pick a road bike. [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Of course if you are really training for a marathon you are not going to make improvements on your bike, because you are going to be running too much. Unless you lose lots of weight.

True, I will be running roughly 4-5 days a week, but I still plan on doing a long bike each weekend and mixing it up mid-week with some rides. I'm not looking to put in 10,000 miles between now & the end of the year, but having a road bike opens up a bunch of new places I can (or would want to) ride vs going out on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As desertdude said, a road bike is a road bike. If you are looking to improve cycling, pick a bike that makes you WANT to ride it and ride, ride, ride... and then ride some more. With that said, I have had 2 Specialized S-WORKS Tarmacs and can't imagine riding anything else (well, maybe the Argon18 Nitrogen!).

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Tri season is over for me. Help me pick a road bike. [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
I really do not think you can go wrong with a Specialized Tarmac. To me that will be my next road bike they pretty much do it all.

Agreed. I love my tarmac with ultegra. It flies, and it handles/ rides way better than my BMC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living around where you live I'd say just get Di2 on the tri bike so you can shift while sitting up. It makes riding the tri bike so much more enjoyable and you can ride in town.

If you have to get a road bike just grab something carbon with 105 on it and put a power meter that matches your tri bike on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
serious marathon training and big bike miles no good together...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, as others have said. The type of bike isn't particularly important so long as you like it and fit it.
You don't need Ultegra to maintain compatibility with your tribike. 105 is also 11 speed so components are compatible with Ultegra. In fact 105 components, especially cassettes and chains are commonly mixed with Ultegra on stock builds to bring the price down a bit where no-one will notice! So if you want to save a few quid where it won't matter go with 105 and you can still share spare parts and wheelsets between the bikes if you wish.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri season is over for me. Help me pick a road bike. [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
Living around where you live I'd say just get Di2 on the tri bike so you can shift while sitting up. It makes riding the tri bike so much more enjoyable and you can ride in town.

If you have to get a road bike just grab something carbon with 105 on it and put a power meter that matches your tri bike on it.

I already have Di2, so that's certainly a possibility. I was hoping for something with a more comfortable ride. Not that my tri bike is uncomfortable, but a road bike with more upright geometry is just more comfortable.

Also, your strategy goes against the n+1 rule.
Quote Reply