Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015?
Quote | Reply
Trying to make my decision on race kit for this year easier - any new suits worth looking at?

I'll probably go for a one piece, but not 100% decided on a sleeved tri-suit or the traditional no sleeves. My thinking so far is that, although potentially faster, a sleeved suit is so difficult to get right re. the fit and there's so much yet to be researched on how the fabrics perform in different conditions, that it's unlikely to be faster so I'll go with a more comfortable sleeveless option.

I've been looking into the new Orca Kona Dream suit and Huub DS Long course suit, but annoyingly both as yet unavailable to just try for comfort! Last year I was racing in the LG Tri Course Club suit which was just ok. It seemed to be a bit short in the body, even for someone with a relatively short body, so not as comfortable as I'd hoped.

That Orca RS1 Kona Dream suit has obviously got a bit of publicity recently, but it's main feature seems to be 'Carbon6' water repellent coating for more speed during the swim. Given that I'll either be wearing a wetsuit over the top, or at least a swim skin, this doesn't seem that relevant - and then wouldn't any coating like this reduce the breath-ability of the suit when out of the water? I want something fast and comfortable through the air, not the water!

What's worth looking at....?

EDIT: Should have stated - I'm racing middle distance tri this year, long distance in 2016. Last two years have been long distance.

Feel the Speed
Last edited by: Chad: Mar 26, 15 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [Chad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwami Spider as soon as I have the funds for it.

Last year - Kiwami Amphibian Prima
Before that - TYR Carbon
Year before that - Kiwami Amphibian 008
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using a Fusion Speed Suit. I like it a lot.

Rob
https://timetrialweapons.com/

Custom bike storage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I needed to buy new since I didn't rejoin my club and didn't feel right racing in club kit. I was going to go big and look near the top end but then decided my MOP butt doesn't need to be wrapped in anything super fancy so just kept it basic and got a TYR Competitor.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwami trisuit and Kiwami Kona Aero Wings top for the bike in a half ironman

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm leaning towards the Castelli Free Sanremo short sleeve suit, depending on the fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting - I do see Kiwami mentioned a lot on here, but never see much about them elsewhere, what is it about their suits? Just good fit, or is it something with the materials they're using?

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De Soto Forza Trisuit. Purchased my first Forza about a month ago. Yet to race in it but I have trained in it 3x to break it in. Absolutely love it. Sad it took me this long to try De Soto gear.

https://www.desotosport.com/product/FTT2

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i only race sprints, or as part of a team for 70.3 distance for bike/run legs (doing a lot more crits and road racing these days). I use the pearl izumi octane suit or the scody AIR suit. Local club races often my custom 2 peice nimblewear kit or some thing i have collected over the years. Zoot, 2xu etc. Im a tri clothing bitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ones I use swim well and fit well. The pads are minimal so they are easy to run with. Quality of the fabric is really good for racing.

I have not used one of their lower end suits so I cannot comment on them.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may have been covered in other threads but are sleeved suits legal in non-wetsuit IM races? If so, what are you doing as a workaround?
Last edited by: 7ofClubs: Mar 26, 15 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sleeved suits are not legal in the swim for non-wetsuit IM races. You have to roll the sleeves down and wear a swimskin

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
I needed to buy new since I didn't rejoin my club and didn't feel right racing in club kit. I was going to go big and look near the top end but then decided my MOP butt doesn't need to be wrapped in anything super fancy so just kept it basic and got a TYR Competitor.

Yep, TYR Competitor bottoms for me also and SUGOI tri-tops from past Ironman races. Keeping it simple.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiwami Spider, Long distance or short version. A backup of Amphibian.

For long, I'd like to pick up a Aero Kona Wings.

Having been involved with the company, I've never seen such dedication to the sport and athletes, and attention to detail. The materials are from Europe, the best quality I've seen, and the cuts and innovations are cutting edge. They have included compression in certain parts of the suits depending on the demands of our sport. As the founders and designers are former World Class triathletes, they have a special knowledge that many lack, and being a small company allows them to respond to individuals better than large manufacturers. As an added plus, they can customize each suit with graphics of your choice, making your suit the only one like it, with your name, or sponsors, or whatever cause you promote included in a visually attractive manner, and in amazing speed. The top end suits double as swim skins, so no need for another garment to slow you down in T1. They also offer a variety of suits depending on budget, so there is a choice for every budget. We do many, many teams, from youth to collegiate to pro, and the number is growing as they see the quality, turnaround, and customer service. While not in stores, as the store needs a large markup, you can find selections online, and Andre and his staff are awesome as recommending suits and sizes based on your needs, and can even send out fit kits.

Try one.....you won't be shopping elsewhere again.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Mar 26, 15 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nimblewear short sleeve 1 piece trisuit. Their thinnest, most elastic material option.

Just going to use my old Desoto Liftfoil as a swim skin... because it's free to me. Hard to justify $300 to maybe save something like 0:30 in an IM swim.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed with everything you have said. I called Andre and he is working on a custom Kona Aero Wings for me. Amazing customer service

Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the swimskin a requirement?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-suit - what you racing in for 2015? [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. But how else are you going to swim with half of your suit hanging down?
With the swimskin you can roll the sleeves down and use the compression of the swim skin to hold it all together in the water. Take the swimskin off in T1, put the sleeves on and go

Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 26, 15 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm sure he'll make sure you are extremely happy! I have yet to try the Kona Wings on, but photographing them in Kona, they looked and felt amazing. Those were just prototypes, so I'm sure the final production is even better. The material is so thin and slick feeling, and that full zip makes it pretty easy to get on. Keep us updated.......

BryanD wrote:
Agreed with everything you have said. I called Andre and he is working on a custom Kona Aero Wings for me. Amazing customer service
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will do! I'm racing a half iron May 2nd with the Kona Wings so this will be a great test of the product!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! I'm hoping to get one for Knoxville. I'd love to see your graphics when done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See I had my head in my ass. Got it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My TeamUSA outfit.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is adding the logo from my coach's company onto my suit. You can see it on the website in my link. I'll post pictures when I get the top

Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 26, 15 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds cool. I'll look for it. I've seen a number of those logos on items through the years.
Quote Reply

Prev Next