Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri-specific shoe recommendations? (and black friday special?)
Quote | Reply
At IM70.3 Princeton my trusty cycling shoes finally died. With 10ish miles to go, the buckle on one broke, but luckily the shoes are so old (12+ seasons) and so used that the crust, sweat, grime and all my spilled EPO held them together and the shoe stayed on for the remainder of the 58-ish miles. After transition though, that shoe was dead.

My shoes were not actually tri-specific. They were an old Specialized road shoe, not carbon, not fancy. My first and only cycling shoes. They slipped off easily despite two tight velcro straps and a ratchet strap thing at the top, but they really weren't meant for a fast transition.

I briefly considered just wearing one shoe from now on, but that doesn't seem practical considering I'm already a mediocre cyclist. Why add to the handicap.

Now is probably the time to get a new shoe. Any suggestions on a good, comfy tri shoe that just happens to also be on a great sale?

Thanks and happy holiday where relevant.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-specific shoe recommendations? (and black friday special?) [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had some basic Shimano shoes (TR-31 ) for four years and recently got the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly IV. The Tri Fly is trickier to get in after T1, but fits nice and snug. I found a pair for under $100 last winter - can't remember where though - not bad for a carbon-soled shoe. If you have wide feet you may need to go with Shimano or another brand that fits a bit wider. Not sure on where to get the best deal - I'd just google it!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-specific shoe recommendations? (and black friday special?) [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding wider fitting shoes (if you need them) Bont riot TR might be a good option. $149.99 at backcountry.com. I ordered the road version, for the price you get a nice composite sole that you heat mould yourself for the "perfect fit"

Don't forget to unclip!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-specific shoe recommendations? (and black friday special?) [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for a top quality shoe on sale, look at the LG Tri300. It has been their top of the line shoe at $300 for the the past two years but they are coming out with a new model and the price is now as low as $120. I just bought a pair from Backcountry a couple weeks ago. You can find an in-depth review online from Tri Sports when the shoe was first introduced in June 2012.. Appears to be a lot of shoe for the price including my need for a tri specific easy entry/exit design.
Last edited by: gphin305: Nov 26, 14 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-specific shoe recommendations? (and black friday special?) [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone rock the sidi T2 Carbon LTD Euro shoe? Seems like a good shoe at a good price (153.99 from $219.99 on Backcountry.com)

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Dec 1, 14 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, hopefully they aren't crap. I just ordered the Sidi T2 carbon. :-)

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Louis Garneau tri shoe is still half-off? Check the classified forum, there is a post pinned at the top. I just got a pair, they are nice.
Quote Reply