Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri-freaks. The new definition
Quote | Reply
Alright class, how many of you have heard the term "tri-geek?"
Okay, it looks like all of you have. Quite a few of you have probably even been called one, or refer to your self as one.
So what is a tri-geek? A tri-geek is someone who is obsessed with triathlons, the science of it, and the equipment. It used to be used as a term of repect (or lack-there-of) for the hard nosed, crazy ass, nerds of the sport.
Unfortunatly, the term "tri-geek" has been stretched a bit, and lots of "posers" have taken to it. It's defenintion has weakend and it's meaning has become a bit lacking. So class, what do you do when a word has lost it's original usefulness?
You make up a new term.
Now this new term of endearment, can't be exactly the same. It has to have subtle differences, and be mroe specific. Thus, it is nto a replacement for the word, it's just an upgrade for those who deserve it.
What is the new term?
I call it "Tri-freak."
It has a similar ring to "tri-geek," but it is much more intense and harder to fake.
Whos is a Tri-freak?

A Tri-freak is someone who:
Avoids clipping their fingernails because they believe it gives them slightly more speed in the swim.

Who: color coordinates their goggles, watch, and swimsuit.

Someone who: has a pair of sunglasses for every possible weather condition and mood.

A person that: Sold their 03 Tiphoon, for the 04 version with internal cable routing.

A freak that: shaves his (or her legs) in the morning, and then touches them up again in the afternoon right before their group ride.

An animal which: eats an energy bar after and/or between eveyr meal.

Someone who: gets excited over a 1 % change in their body fat.

A person that: wears their heart rate monitor all day, but never reads the time off it.

Who: refuses to buy shoes that don't match their running wardrobe.

Somebody that: could build a house with the number of "brick" workouts he does a week.

A lady: who is the only person on earth that actually prefers to see a guy in a speedo.

Someone who: has a bookshelf full of tri-mags that all lack cover pages and who has worn holes through some of his favorite articles.

Somebody who is at work right now, risking getting fired over reading this.

And so on and so forth..............
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-freaks. The new definition [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good. :)

Where did the term "trigeek" originate? I was under the impression it was a term originally given to us by the roadies for the triathlon obsession with high tech bike parts.

Let's be honest, I'll bet that a lot of bicycle impovements have been directly because of trigeeks. If it was left to the roadies we'd all still be on steel 12 speeds with 32 spoke rims and wearing wool jerseys. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-freaks. The new definition [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been called a "tri-weenie" by some roadie friends. I think tri-freak is much cooler.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-freaks. The new definition [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I've been called a "tri-weenie" by some roadie friends."

Also heard the expression "tridork" from the roadies, which refers to people who always ride/train solo.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri-freaks. The new definition [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See here, I sometimes refer to them as Toadies. They're slower, than myself, tend to have warts, and are no where nearly as cool.
Quote Reply