Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors
Quote | Reply
You been working your ass off and training all winter on the treadmill. The weather has just gotten nice and you are about to move the training out doors. Do you just go straight outside same millage as inside, or do you have a plan where you progress to the great outdoors?
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run inside. I run outside. I have done long runs on the treadmill, then gone and done a longer one outside the next week. I never feel a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your first mistake was getting on the treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:

HTFU only gets you so far. If it's icy and snowy out and I have a workout to do with specific targets, I will hit the mill 100% of the time. And trust me, I run plenty in the snow, too. Got multiple pairs of screw shoes to prove it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need a plan to make the transition. Running is running to me whether it's on the treadmill or road. The only difference I have to adjust to is pushing my self outdoors. You can't just up the speed and force yourself to run faster. But I think your mileage should stay the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:

You are flat out wrong. sorry man, you are just being ignorant with that post.

As far as transfer to running outside, I find pace and overall mileage is harder to achieve outdoors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:

Was that supposed to be in pink? Otherwise that is a ridiculous statement :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
walie wrote:

You are flat out wrong. sorry man, you are just being ignorant with that post.

As far as transfer to running outside, I find pace and overall mileage is harder to achieve outdoors.

I agree - this winter has been crazy in terms of winter weather here in New England, and I'm very glad that I got a treadmill in December. There is no way I could have done all (or even half) of my runs outside safely while hitting target paces/efforts (and I'm one to run outside when I can). Save for two trips to FL, I've done every single run over the past two months on the treadmill, up to around 15 miles.

In terms of transition, I really haven't noticed a difference. Two weeks ago I went to FL for the weekend to visit my folks and did a 1:40 run - no difference in pace or effort from the treadmill even though it was warmer and more humid that in my basement at home.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
I run inside. I run outside. I have done long runs on the treadmill, then gone and done a longer one outside the next week. I never feel a difference.

I hope this is the case. However as a heavier individual I am worried the impact forces will be greater outside and therefore the mechanical stress would be higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're over thinking it, just run about the same mileage per week as you normally would.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that moving to outdoor running is easier than the other way around. Unless I am going from no incline treadmill running to hilly outdoor running, I don't see any real difference in the difficulty in completing the same mileage. Outdoor running seems to go by quicker for me- all the distractions in a college town!
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert dude. I like you. I really do...but do not ever underestimate my ability (more like my narcotic requirement) to over think something.
Last edited by: Triagain2(FTDA): Mar 4, 15 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run same miles at the same heart rate. Which means my pace goes down about 30 sec/mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian - I'm curious about how much you have athletes use the treadmill. Do you prescribe TM use on a case by case basis, or do you use it for speed/tempo/other workouts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indoor run miles is better than no run miles. Treadmill is a tool that should be used during bad weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:

"HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH --- This F'n guy" - Lionel Sanders*

*may not be an actual quote
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stay inside. Potentially move 1 or 2 runs a week outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel a bit more beat up after a long run outside versus a treadmill if I run on pavement. Dirt? No difference. Weather is another factor.

hardidu wrote:
walie wrote:

"HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH --- This F'n guy" - Lionel Sanders*

*may not be an actual quote

I laughed.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Last edited by: santino314: Mar 4, 15 10:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the same on the TM as outside.

Expect small speed differences - normal for different TM calibrations, weather, surfaces, etc.

I do my best running up to the HM distance when I'm using the TM 50% or more during the week, as this means I'm getting some super high quality intervals, tempo work, etc. I really notice the effects when I go outdoors and feel the boost in my legs. Of course, you have to work pretty hard on the TM to get these benefits, but they are there for the taking, and it's much more precise to gradually increase speed on a TM than it is even on a track - you can make very significant gains in legs speed and leg power by just pushing that speed interval up one notch on the TM every week or two in build phase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2(FTDA) wrote:
Desert dude. I like you. I really do...but do not ever underestimate my ability (more like my narcotic requirement) to over think something.

We've noticed. :) That said, some of my favourite threads lately have been started by you.
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Users: Transfer from treadmil to outdoors [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*Warning: melodramatic bullshit to follow*

I used to live and dream about cardiovascular activities, training and racing. Then I lost some of that passion when I started a family. I lost it all 30mths ago when I crashed during a triathlon. I have found that passion again, and like a born again Christian (or a newly recovered atheist) I can not get enough about the topic!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is a picture from outside my clinic. There is no sidewalk (covered with snow) and the sides are wicked icy and rough. It is also -22C right now and well below -30C with windchill. I do not want to run out there right now. I will soon, but not now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:

No...no...treadmill is good. Builds mental toughness. I know a guy who trained for a marathon on a submarine. He spent countless hours running on a treadmill with a steam pipe 3 inches from his face. That is mentally hard.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me Hokas have been the equalizing factor for indoor vs outdoor. They minimize the impact on my body with outside running, just like the treadmill. Personally I love running on the treadmill and watching my fav dvr'd shows or sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:

^^^^This is probably another example of trolling, but regardless, from a Road Runner Sports article (link here)

"Then you head indoors to the treadmill. And if you have reservations about running inside, consider the world-class marathoners who have benefited from extensive treadmill training:
  • Norway's Ingrid Kristiansen at one time held the world record in the 5,000 meters, 10,000 meters, half-marathon and marathon. She won the London Marathon four times, Boston twice and New York once. A treadmill often was her best friend.
  • Colorado's Kim Jones, twice runner-up at Boston and New York City, avoided ice-caked roads by running indoors.
  • Chris Clark, the United States' lone woman at the Sydney Olympics, who set PRs at both the Trials and the Olympic Games, did half of her training on a treadmill. "I work out in the morning on the days I go to work," says Clark, 39. "There's no way I'm going out in the cold when it's 5:30 in the morning, five degrees and pitch black."
Many coaches and elite runners endorse using a treadmill as part of marathon training, although most of them feel that treadmill running should be done in conjunction with running outdoors."

Treadmills can be great training companions. I have been doing the majority of my runs on a treadmill lately myself.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply

Prev Next