Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Treadmill Recommendations
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are looking to purchase a treadmill. I have read so many horror stories of people doing out to Sports Authority or Dicks and buying a treadmill spending $1k or more and it breaks after minimal use. Both my wife and I are active and will probably be using it for our shorter runs 30-45' a few times a week. For the longer runs we will go outside or to the gym.

What treadmill do you have/recommend?

Is there a size of motor we should look for?

Things you wished you knew before buying your treadmill?

Best place to buy one?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Treadmill Recommendations [Mcluvin22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a used Precor 964 commercial unit off ebay for $450. The motor is 4hp I believe and it is built to be run all day in a fitness facility. The drums are massive, maybe 5 inches in diameter and the deck has a very solid feel and good cushioning. It weighs about 450 pounds so was a chore to get into the house.

One feature I like is the deck can be turned over. Mine has 45,000 miles on the original deck and this spring I'm going to replace the belt and flip the deck over, it should last forever.

I bought mine a month ago and am using is quite a lot, i do long runs, tempo intervals, etc. It takes up a lot of space and the deck is 12" off the floor so ceiling height can be an issue, but a used commercial unit is something you may want to consider.

i use mine in manual mode so all the electronic stuff on the newer ones would not matter much to me. I set mine up with a bg tv and headphones in the basement
Last edited by: jroden: Mar 6, 15 10:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Hunting_up_a_Treadmill__4817.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just bought a proform pro7500 and absolutely love it! better than treadmills at Lifetime and only $1500 free shipping 0% on their website. There $1000ish model gets really good reviews too, but I figured for the long run whats a few more bucks...it has a 4.25hp motor and I'm pretty sure you cant find that anywhere close to that price range with other models
Last edited by: MTranquilli: Mar 6, 15 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no reason for you to fear buying a TM.

Consumer TMs are outstanding now,almost across the board. Buy a reputable brand and you will have solid customer service and support if anything does go wrong, but odds are overwhelmingly that they won't. No treadmill you buy for running should break after minimal use. I wouldn't spend <$1000 on a TM though unless you knew it was a reputable one for running (not walking), as those TMs are built more for walking.

The HP number is a soft target. TM makers have learned to pump up their HP to make it sound all big, but a well running 2.5hp motor will outperform a poor quality or poorly setup 4HP motor in the long run. Consumers rarely outrun their TM engine lifespan anyway, and for what you're planning to do, you won't be killing your engine either, even at 2.5HP.

Sole is a widely available brand that has many year excellent customer service. I have the F80, and it's great - nothing amazingly special about it, but it's been rock solid and priced right. ($1500ish.) I would def recommend it. I bought mine from Sole on sale, paid the extra $75 for them to set it up where I wanted it, which i felt was very worth it.

The only other advice I will add is to tune out the inevitable person who will post "Buy a Woodway treadmill" on this or other threads. Those TMs, while top-of-line, cost $12-$15+k, and usually require a nonstandard power outlet. You can get every bit as good without a Woodway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a good deal on a floor model at Sports Authority. Freemotion t 6.0. They list it at $2,999 and sell it at $2,079. The floor model was $1,199. 25% off for Presidents day plus the manager took another 10% off to get it out of his store. Final Price was $779.

If price matters, the floor model is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Landice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Landice L8. Very happy with it. Thought about the Precor briefly, then came back to my senses. The L8 has the long deck, 4HP motor, is programmable, and quiet. But it cost me $4K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to treadmilldoctor.com. They have great reviews on treadmills. I own a Sole and love it.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mcluvin22 wrote:
My wife and I are looking to purchase a treadmill. I have read so many horror stories of people doing out to Sports Authority or Dicks

I just bought a Fuel treadmill from Dicks. I figured for only $600 new, it wasn't that big of a gamble. It's working great in the 3 months I've had it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking to buy one too. I talked to my buddy about them since he sells them and he told me to not waste anything on extras like for fans and whatnot. That bumps up the price a lot.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a True 500 HRC treadmill years ago and my wife and I have run that thing ragged.

We keep it clean and keep the deck/belt lubed. We replaced the roller under warranty about 2 years ago for like $100.

Yes, it was a little more expensive, but it is very reliable and we have gotten our money's worth by far.

I have used it for distance (15-18 miles), shorter 30-45 minute runs, simulated hills, and interval work. While I much prefer outside, sometimes there's no option. It's freezing, icy, and dark by the time I'm home from work these days. The treadmill is always 65 degrees and safe.

The only thing I'd reconsider is that my True only goes to 10mph (6 min/mi). When I bought it, that seemed sufficient but I'm in much better shape now and there are times during interval work where I can go faster than 10 mph. Other than that, I wouldn't change any features. You decide if that's important to you.

There are all sorts of presets and programs on treadmills. For me, I wanted the one that went from off-to-me-running the fastest. I have no need for "courses" or "routines". I also pay very little attention to the HR, calorie, etc. functions. I track all that with my Garmin watch.

I'm a tough costumer when it comes to repeat business, but I will not hesitate to buy another True product if this one ever goes.

As I read this back, I feel inclined to say I have no relationship at all with True.
Quote Reply