Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transition to midfoot/forefoot strike
Quote | Reply
So I've finally gotten to a point where I realize I've got to actually put some effort into running "correctly". I picked up a pair of Newton Aha II shoes and spent some time talking with a local running shop. They told me to slowly transition to a midfoot strike in the shoes over a 2-3 week period to not stress my achilles and calves. I'm about two weeks into having these shoes and longest run in them so far is 2 miles. Still doing my longer runs in my other shoes. I definitely felt it at first. Definitely had some soreness, but that's passed. Reason I ask the question here, is I've read online that some people suggest months to transition to the running style. I have no concerns running 5k or 10k, but I was looking to do a half distance in November, so I plan to regularly be making 10+ mile runs each week. Is that asking for injury after only moving to this running style after 2-3 weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: Transition to midfoot/forefoot strike [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look to increase your cadence and shorten your stride. Also include some lower leg strengthening exercises. Look up the POSE method for some drills
Quote Reply
Re: Transition to midfoot/forefoot strike [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, unless you naturally run forefoot, I don't think anyone should transition to forefoot. Forefoot runner, all those I know, have more injuries, than midfoot runners.

Seconds, it's all in he hips, not your feet. Don't pay much attention to what your feet are doing, you need proper hip and arm mechanics, the rest falls into place. If you hips are moving correctly, you have no choice but to weight you midfoot. the biggest thing is driving your leg up and forward, and driving the opposite arm backwards. From there, it's actively engaging your glutes to drive off the foot forward, rather than engage your hamstrings and calves. That's at least where I have my athletes start. Form there, it takes a lot of practice (consistent, frequent runs and weekly mileage) and it hopefully starts to come together. Expect 3-12 months to see major changes. It's a process.

You can also dismiss all of those and run on your toes and maybe it will just click, and that's natural for you. I think one study showed that you had to be running over 6' pace to see any economy gains. Below that midfoot was more economical. Note that Mirinda Carfrae is a midfoot runner. Her secret is in the drive she gets out of each stride and it's timing and efficient leg recovery. She's using her whole core and even upper body to generate leverage. Simialr I think to how a top swimmer engages their whole body, not just their arms, shoulders and back to generate propulsion.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Transition to midfoot/forefoot strike [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely looking to be more midfoot. Just typed it out as midfoot/forefoot I guess. I had always "tried" to run with a midfoot strike, but like you said, I was incorrectly concentrating on my feet. After learning a bit at my local running store and looking at some websites they recommended, I've realized it's much more in the leg recovery and upper body positioning. Getting the right lean with my upper body and driving my legs forward to open up my hip angle. I've seen improvements already. I'm running a bit faster. My heart rate is still up there, but my legs aren't as fatigued and I'm running 20 seconds faster per mile. Now, for the first week, I'd wake up the next morning feeling it in my calves, but that's passed. I know it does focus some more tension in that lower leg region and utilizes that "springiness" in your calf/Achilles to keep your momentum forward. I just don't want to over do it to soon. I have a tendency to do such things.
Quote Reply