Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trainingmask
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys,

Looking for any competitive edge got me looking at the training mask. Now there is a lot of research on shorter interval sports such as basketball, NFL, etc. But Does anybody have any experience or data on the impact of using trainingmask for endurance sports?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [tdp10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please run far away as fast as you can from the Training Mask.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training Mask runs you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training mask, the all natural way to birth control!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seen a few roadies this past summer wearing training masks on a MUP going 15 mph. Explain that please? O_o
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tdp10 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Looking for any competitive edge got me looking at the training mask. Now there is a lot of research on shorter interval sports such as basketball, NFL, etc. But Does anybody have any experience or data on the impact of using trainingmask for endurance sports?
where? pretty please, i need a good chuckle
Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Please run far away as fast as you can from the Training Mask.

^^^^This.

The mask will limit your ability to go hard, making your training less effective.

As far as simulating being at altitude, it's living at altitude (not training at altitude) that causes the beneficial adaptation.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So wear it all the time - in the shower, on a date, thru airport security... that's what I want to see for commitment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

As far as simulating being at altitude, it's living at altitude (not training at altitude) that causes the beneficial adaptation.

I hate to say, but this is possibly what the mask could do. Apparently at least the one in this study causes re-breathing of your own CO2, which induces hypoxemia.

They apparently only tested them during exercise, but possiby if you wear it all night it could induce a slightly hypoxic state? No idea if that's the same kind of hypoxic state that induces aerobic adaptation (more CO2 is different than less O2?) but it's possible?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only competitive edge you'll get is at looking like an even bigger ass hat than the rest of us already do in compression socks and lycra.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also in the run, don't walk, away from this.

No, it's not the same. I see what you're getting at in terms of displacing O2 with the CO2, but you don't want to re-breathe CO2. You're potentially moving into asphyxiation territory, unless someone tested these to ensure that can't happen (and I'm just hazarding a guess, they weren't). It's the lower partial pressure of O2 (due at altitude to lower overall pressure) that your body responds to, so you're partially right there, but the mask is a bad way to get that. CO2 doesn't really factor into the biochemistry of red blood cell production--it might affect blood pH, stress response, and buffering capacity (just a wild guess), but that's not really what they're marketing or what you're necessarily after. Maybe some of the other biochem folks will chime in if I'm a bit off. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some info and a study here:

http://ylmsportscience.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/wearing-elevation-training-mask-effects.html
Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
I'm also in the run, don't walk, away from this.

No, it's not the same.

I'm sure you're right. I was just playing troll/devil's advocate.

No way I'd get one of these things given the current state of research on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only way to look like a bigger asshat than wearing one of these is to run a GoFundMe to buy one.

Quote Reply
Re: Trainingmask [iwaters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There you go. Your diaphragm will get JACKED! but you will still run slowly, which is ok b/c that allows you to show it off. ;-)
Thanks for googling it for me. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply