Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training in Tampa, FL
Quote | Reply
Looks like I'm relocating to Tampa.
Where does everyone train?
First thought getting a place in the Brandon area.
Good places to ride?
Pools? Masters program is nice but not a must.
Running is easy enough to do anywhere but I'm open to ideas.
Thanks.

Sarasota Storm Tri Club
Off Constantly Race Team
Challenge Factory Team - PM me for a discount code for 2015 Challenge Family Americas races.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [triguysrq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just moved from the Tampa area (Riverview which is just south of Brandon to be exact). Most people ride the SunCoast trail which is quite far from Brandon. It is located off north Dale Mabry out towards the Lutz area. I heard of a lot of folks heading up to San Antonio which is off I-75 for weekend rides. Apparently there are "hills" up that way. I would NOT recommend riding on the local roads around Tampa or Brandon...lots of idiots on the road not paying attention. Brandon has a nice paved trail that runs along Highway 301 which may be a good place to consider for some longer runs. Alafia River State Park isn't too far away and has good trail running and mountain biking.

Don't know anything about the local swim scene. You are coming from Sarasota it looks like so you know to steer clear of open water swimming in local lakes, etc. Alligators make for poor swim partners unless you are looking to get some speed work in...

PM me if you want anything more specific. Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been in Tampa since 2002 and also lived here 1982-84. When I moved back, I told my real estate agent that I would not consider any location in Brandon, Riverview, Valrico, etc., one of the better decisions I've ever made. Instead, I live in the NW part of the county, so the Suncoast is not too far, and the Upper Tampa Bay Trail (only 8 miles) is just down the street. For my long rides, I bike 15 miles from my house to the southern terminus of the Suncoast Trail partly via the Upper Tampa Bay Trail, then on to half of whatever distance I want and return. I takes me about 50 mins to drive to San Antonio to train in the hills. Figure 35-40 mins to Clearwater Beach depending on traffic for OWS. About 45-50 mins to Fort DeSoto. There are some trails to run, but not extensive (e.g., 2.1 mile dirt trail around Lake Rogers). Alafia River State Park may be the best place for that. There are also good trails and an 8 mile closed road loop in Flatwoods Wilderness Park to the NorthEast of the city. Your decison on where to live will probably depend on your work location, but really, you should be able to make it work wherever you end up in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did Trirock Clearwater and driving home saw some folks biking on the Campbell Causeway. Does it intersect with any other somewhat protected bike trails like the suncoast you mentioned?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where will you work? I live 1 mile north of McDill AFB just off Bayshore. Bike alternatives are north on Bayshore(preferably on the wide sidewalk)then around Davis Island. That course is relatively safe. The Suncoast Parkway trail is approx 10 miles away. It is approx 45 miles long. There are some cross streets but they are manageable. The bottom half is flat. The top half has rolling hills. Lots of other triathletes on the course. Some excellent water stops and limited accessibility if you have a breakdown--bike or body. Flat woods in north east Tampa is also approx 10 miles. It is a 12 mile closed course patrolled by Rangers who will assist with transport if you have a breakdown. San Antonio is 50 miles north. Start at the ball field north of town. There are lots of alternatives with good(bad)hills. Traffic is light but local rednecks are from the shallow end of the gene pool and cannot comprehend that a trailer is always wider than a pickup. Fortunately natural selection kills some of the off periodically. Lots of triathletes on these roads. In St Pete and Clearwater you have the Pinellas trail. Forty plus miles but many cross roads---better for running than biking. The St Pete Maddogs is an active local running group led by the Goatfather who founded it. They do have a open water swim at Pass a Grille beach April through October. They have a website. There are many long time and short time triathletes in this area. We also have the World Triathlon Corp which owns the Ironman brand. Biking and racing is also good east of here in Clermont---iron distance course is very tough. It was my first half event and I was never so glad to get off the bike---makes IMFL look like a breeze. Also east of us there is a 50 mile trail that goes from Polk City to highway 50. Very few cross roads---most of it through a swamp(road is usually dry). Periodic alligators and snakes to entertain you. At highway 50 you can pick up the Withlacoochee trail---almost 50 miles long ending up near Yankeetown. Very few crossroads with some bike shops on the route.
In short lots of opportunities. Most bike fatalities here are on grocery bikes typically after dark. I have had a few friends who have been hit by cars but the risk is typically low. Only one was killed and his was a fluke accident where the car may not have actually contacted him. He did fall in an unusual manner such that he had a c1 injury which affects the respiratory system and takes you out in less than 2 minutes, usually with little awareness of your impending demise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I notice a warning about alligators. There are lots of salt water swim opportunities here and alligators typically are not found in salt water. There are lots of fresh water lakes but I do not know of any triathletes who regularly swim in them. We have lots of pools some 50 meter ones. The north Tampa Y has a first rate pool. It is also reasonably close to Flatwwoods. There actually is an annual double Ironman held in that venue once a year. So this is a good place to live assuming the traffic is not an issue. If you have to commute elsewhere in the county do not live here. The traffic is mind boggling exceeded only by areas north of Atlanta. If traffic is an issue south Tampa is best. Unfortunately housing costs are substantially higher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not wanting to scare you about Florida wildlife---however. When you swim off a salt water beach do the stingray shuffle---shuffle your feet to scare stingrays away. Several months ago DCRainmaker was here and did not heed the warning. It ended up being a very expensive trip to the emergency room for him. The barb needs to be removed and the toxin neutralized with very warm water and/or an acidic solution(white vinegar although malt or balsamic will work depending on your dietary preferences). If you do go to an emergency room stipulate non HCA(hospital corp of America)facilities. They have been known to charge outrageous trauma fees---15K or more--just as a cover charge. As such they continue to uphold a long Florida tradition of fleecing the newcomers. After all anybody who chooses to live in a swamp with high summer temperatures obviously is already ripe for fleecing.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
i did Trirock Clearwater and driving home saw some folks biking on the Campbell Causeway. Does it intersect with any other somewhat protected bike trails like the suncoast you mentioned?

It does not intersect with any decent trails...basically folks are just riding back and forth to get the "hill" in the middle. Last year, the state completed refurbishment of the Causeway that included a completely separate pedestrian bridge and they banned fisherman from using it to keep discarded bait and hooks from messing it up. They also put a barrier between the access road and the trail on the east side of the bridge so it is completely protected. Biking on the roads leading to the causeway on either side is UNSAFE. In Sep 2013, a couple on a tandem were both killed by a hit and run driver at 6am on Labor Day. They caught the driver a couple of days later and he had been so impaired that he had no recollection of the incident.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [gmellish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some really good info here. Only thing I'd add is there are tons of races in the area. Mostly sprints and Olympics in the Tampa Bay Area. Travel to Orlando and you have even more choices,. The GFT 140.6, a couple 70.3's in Clermont and FL 70.3 in Haines City.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also new to tampa. I am stationed at MacDill afb. Do you think I can ride my bike over gandy bridge or should I just stay by bay shore and branch off in that area. Also what bike shops would you recommend in tampa?

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [mcnickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcnickey wrote:
I am also new to tampa. I am stationed at MacDill afb. Do you think I can ride my bike over gandy bridge or should I just stay by bay shore and branch off in that area. Also what bike shops would you recommend in tampa?
Thank you

Unwise. Take Bayshore to Davis Island and knock yourself out riding loops there. In the South Tampa area, you have Outspokin, Trek, and Flying Fish...all great bike shops.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [mcnickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding over Gandy isn't a problem at all, there is a huge shoulder. From there you can do a few short loops in Weedon Island or head South and catch up with the weekend groups. I think there might even be a group that meets at the Circle-K or whatever it is on Saturday morning and heads to St. Pete.

As for shops I recommend St. Pete Bike and Fitness. They have a location right on 4th Street a mile or so from downtown.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [Flaswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the great info. Am going to be in Tampa for about 90 days and was trying to get smart on run / bike locations.

In regards to the Suncoast Trail, is it suitable for aerobars on the weekends or too congested? am trying to decide whether to bring my TriBike or Road Bike

Thanks for the insight!
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [papermandeliver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
papermandeliver wrote:
Thanks all for the great info. Am going to be in Tampa for about 90 days and was trying to get smart on run / bike locations.

In regards to the Suncoast Trail, is it suitable for aerobars on the weekends or too congested? am trying to decide whether to bring my TriBike or Road Bike

Thanks for the insight!

Bring your tribike. It's rarely, if ever, too busy not to be down in your aerobars for your entire ride there.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. Most folks don't go north of Hwy 52 (about 12 miles north). After that there is a steep drop-off in the number of riders. Generally, the further north you go, the fewer riders. For the last 10 or so miles north of Hwy 50 you will see very, very few people.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the good info on the SC Trail and thanks for letting me borrow some of your real estate while I am in town

Any recommendations on good bike shops as well? and fitters?
Last edited by: papermandeliver: Nov 19, 14 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Tampa, FL [papermandeliver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fitters - Andres at Outspokin Tampa (they have a Retul MUVE). Paul Williams at St Pete Bike and Fitness. Park Alsop at Top Gun Triathlon shop in Clearwater.

Best Bike Shops in Tampa - Outspokin, Trek, and Flying Fish.
Quote Reply