Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Training in Chicago
Quote | Reply
I'm spending a week in Chicago late September. My hotel is just off Michigan Ave. Any advice on best places to run & swim nearby? I've heard Ohio beach for swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Chicago [tomtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely Ohio Street Beach for the swim. I'm heading over there at lunch time for a 1000 meter dip. Bring your wetsuit. You also can run forever up and down the lakefront (actually, I think it's about 13 miles of running path, but that should be plenty).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can be quite chilly by late september at OSB. Lake Shore Athletic Club/Downtown has a decent (but short) pool. Now running along the lakefront that time of year is one of the things that keep me in this city. Only problem is it's about a month out from the marathon so at times you'll run into some pretty large training groups. My advice is to go in the evening, watch the sunset and run south from the northside. Looking over the water from North Ave. Beach and seeing the lights of the Drake Hotel, the Hanckock bulding and the ferris wheel at Navy Pier really is beautiful.
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Chicago [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My advice is to run at lunch time and forget about looking at the buildings, the Ferris Wheel, etc. There are better sights of the homo sapiens variety :)
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Chicago [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks MPB & Gator for the info! I'll bring the wetsuit for a swim or two at Ohio Street beach & will plan on running along the lake (I'll have to pass on the lunchtime views - work obligations...). Does anyone swim in the morning at Ohio Street beach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll get plenty of those to view in the evening as well.

I'm headed to Ohio Street at lunch as well. I'll in a QR full with funny looking goggles (SwiMp3). Say hello.
Last edited by: Gator1736: Aug 15, 06 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be sporting a Predator 2 with a yellow swim cap and blue goggles. Take it easy on me when you blow by me on the swim. May I call you Gator?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, try running south on the running path, past the aquarium and museums, soldier field and the mothership that crash landed in the middle of it, McCormick Place... and then after that, the traffic on the path really thins out. The lakefront on the southside is actually much nicer than the northside too. More trees and open space.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was riding by Ohio St. beach at about 6am this morning. There were probably 25 people either swimming, getting ready to swim or finishing their swim at that time. There were also some people swimming from Oak st. beach to North ave. beach. there is no break wall protecting that area though so it can get a lot rougher. There are generally still people training in late September for IMFL, Great Floridian, Miami Man, etc etc. Not nearly as many as now but still some. I'll be out there until early October (Miami Man).

AS the others have said, running along the path can be a bit crowded but using common sense, and some patience, makes it enjoyable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gator is fine, but the real name is Brendan. May I call you MPB1950 and, if so, how do I pronounce that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen nothing but fat people in my last visit to chicago. they were trying to shove stuff in their mouth later on I realized it was polish sausage.

I was scared that they might even eat me!!!

makes me wonder what is the average lifespan of a chicago resident, before the heart attack takes them?
Last edited by: swimfan: Aug 15, 06 10:06
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Chicago [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are sacred? I always thought there was something "Hindu cow" about you..
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Chicago [Chest Rockwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh the typo!

are you from land of the fat? it was july 4th and people were eating fried chicken at 10Am under the sun!

i guess you guys have to maintain an inch of fat layer in order to survive winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head to Fleet Feet on Monday for the fun run. Paces b/n 8:30 and very, very fast. There are often people going out for a beer and some food after the runs. 6:30pm.

www.fleetfeetchicago.com

Feel free to PM as you get closer to the trip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not originally from Chicago, but I've lived here for some time. The thing I've notices about people here is that they are extremely fit or extremely fat. I haven't met too many people that fit in the "normal" category.

Let me know when you get up here for Accenture. There are much better places to go besides Twisted spoke!
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Chicago [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plan to arrive on Friday AM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Land of the Fat is actually north of Chicago in Wisconsin, but it does ooze south over the border. (I'm actually from Michigan, but live in Chicago.)

At 10am you better be finishing a race, eating fried chicken, or drinking beer.

A combination of all three is acceptable.

Heck. You want a really nice beer after the race, bring some in a cooler and veg in the park if it is a nice day. Of course, don't let the cops catch you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Holmes Place http://www.holmesplace.com/...b.aspx?ClubCode=USA1 Very nice pool and up to date gym. They'll sell you daily or weekly passes.

Also I've heard the pool at the intercontinental hotel is pretty good as well. Not the typical hotel pool but a nice 25 yrd lap pool, but also not free unless you're staying there.

Bike/Running path is about 1/4 mile off of Michigan ave, depending on where you're staying and the weather. that time of year most of the yahoo's have hung it up for the season so it shouldn't be too crowded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, it wasn't a race! They took me something called taste of chicago??? it was a freak show! who can eat that many greasy food under the sun!?!?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there from 11:30 to 12:30. For some reason, I thought you were a female (my bad if you are not). I did not see any women in a full QR but I did ask one woman in a sleeveless QR if she was "Gator." She was probably wondering if that is some new pick-up line. She curtly advised me she was not Gator. I decided not to ask any of the guys if they were "Gator."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL! If somebody asked me if I was a gator, I'd show them the gator ;)

Thankfully you weren't meeting with "bottomfeeder"
Quote Reply
Re: Training in Chicago [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the great advice - I'm stuck in business mode for days/evenings, but will be enjoying morning training at Ohio Beach and the path by the lake. Hope the weather is nice!

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UGH! The Taste sucks! They just lay out the troughs and the swine come to eat all that can and will be deep-fried. I avoid the Taste at all costs.

You looking for good Pasta eats the day before the race? There are too many to remember, but here are some that I would recommend:

Italian Village - Downtown -- most expensive of the list, but good.

Pasta Palazzo - Lincoln Park -- small place. very good

Rose Angele's - Lakeview -- not my fav, but my friends like it, more seafood than I care for

Orso's - Old Town -- outdoor seating and good food

Trattoria Roma - Old Town -- excellent pasta

Club Lucky - Bucktown -- very traditional with good food
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am not a believer for traditional carbo loading. I can eat anything probably end up eating some stuff from the hotel kitchen.

thank you for the advice. What is your ag?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30-34

OH! And on the topic, for $10 you can get a season pass for any of the city's pools. They are all over town. You can find them on the Park District's website.
Quote Reply

Prev Next