Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Training for 100k ultra [SwimRunTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't bog down in the hills. Powerwalk. The flats and downhills at 90. Steep downhills, walk so you don't waste the quads.

Sydney! Read this:

http://coolrunning.com.au/...westfieldbook-v2.pdf

Was great inspiration for me when I did my first 50 last year. Especially the chapter, "A record of an Epic". The book is the greatest story of ultrarunning I've read, although the "pedestrians" of the late 1800s are right up there. I probably read that chapter, an epic, 50 times leading into the race! If Alf could do what he did, so could I with so much less to endure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a bunch of ultras and the one thing that made the biggest difference was doing weight work in the gym and speedwork. Do lots of single-leg stuff on machines to bullet-proof your lower body from getting wobbly and hammered. That plus speedwork (up hills) and I finished a 50 miler in 9:48, and that's with a two-hour run being my longest training run. I finished feeling totally fine, going out to dinner right afterwards and picking up my run training for triathlon again in just 3 days. In years before, I did 4 hour epic training runs on trails and all that B.S., and finished 1.5 hours slower and could barely walk for a week. Trade in the endless hours of endless miles for high quality hard work and have a better day.

BUT, above all else, pace yourself. There is no way to go slow enough at the start. Plan negative splits and plan for that second half to really slow, which means stupid slow for the first half. You'll be glad you did.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since it looks like a good deal of the race could be in the dark, running at night is important to practice. You want to be sharp, and know how you run on the trail, at night, while exhausted. Bringing two headlamps is a good idea to help with the shadows. When you push your body this far, often times runners begin seeing things, especially at night, and so anything you can do to help stave that off is good. The hallucinations are more common on 100 milers though, so its not a huge concern! Mental prep cannot be overstated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found some good info. From Ultra Vets. Essentially "how to prepare for an ultra, training relatively low miles, without killing yourself in the process".

http://www.ultrunr.com/lo-mile.html

Overall have found that there are two schools of thought concerning the long run. The first is the B2B, which I prescribe to. The other is just a long day on the feet. Weekly volume for sure is important but the most important run is the Long Run. Noakes said that.

Finished the week with 50 so a good start. The best part is the post tib is getting strong. Would rate it at 95%.
Quote Reply
Re: Training for 100k ultra [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again %FTP, how do you use two headlamps on to reduce shadows? or just to have a spare?
Quote Reply
Re: Training for 100k ultra [VegasTrilete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again VegasTrilete, great website on how others have prepared for ultras. Will come back with an update when the training is cranked up.

There is a 45km run on part of the course a month before the race so will try that as a long training/practice run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put one on your head and one either on your chest or hold it in your hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Training for 100k ultra [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
I finished a 50 miler in 9:48, and that's with a two-hour run being my longest training run

What was your average weekly mileage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRT, I suggest you visit www.coolrunning.com.au and have a chat with some of the Aussie ultra runners.

TNF100 is a beautiful course, very scenic but still quite tough. The Blue Mountains National Park, through which the race is run, is spectacular.

Train on trails, on hills and on stairs. There is a particularly long decent into the Jamison Valley via stairs at around 60km, and lots of stairs in the final 10km, so it is good to have bulletproof quads. The steep climb of Kedumba Walls at around 80km is a highlight of the course.

There is a reasonable amount of mandatory gear required, so be used to running with pack.

If you crack 14 hours, you will be doing very well with your background.
Quote Reply

Prev Next