Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Thoughts - when having a bad day...
Quote | Reply
Once in a great while I'll blow up on a trainer ride and not be able to finish my intervals (trainerroad build program currently). Is it best to walk away and come back later in the day to finish? Or to just let that workout go and take it as a need To rest?
Quote Reply
Re: Training Thoughts - when having a bad day... [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Once in a great while I'll blow up on a trainer ride and not be able to finish my intervals (trainerroad build program currently). Is it best to walk away and come back later in the day to finish? Or to just let that workout go and take it as a need To rest?

Depends on what's been going on in prior workouts.

Sometimes there's merit in pushing through, other times its an indication that you need rest. More information is needed to fully understand the situation- fitness level, prior workouts, amount of sleep and rest, diet, etc all play into which is right.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know someone asked the very same question in one of their podcasts - i think they said to just move forward and onto the next workout in the plan.

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: Training Thoughts - when having a bad day... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No good reason to come back later in the day to finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:

There's a reason you aren't able to finish the workout.

Almost always, it's due to fatigue, extra stress in your life, lack of sleep...etc.

Those typically don't fix themselves over the period of a day. Especially if you've just added to the problem by attempting a hard work effort.

The only time it would be prudent to revisit a failed workout is if it was derailed by lack of nutrition or hydration. You can fix that.

Have the confidence to just let the failed workout go and know you'll be better the next time.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Training Thoughts - when having a bad day... [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure a large factor is my change in diet. I realize it's not the most ideal time to change a diet plan, during a build program, but I am working on cutting a lot of the sugars out and transitioning to more protein and fat. As a result, I'm assuming that my glucose levels would drop, although maybe that's not true as long as I'm still taking in some carbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some days suck and you shouldnt worry. My rule is to try and push it for 30 mins at least. Afterwards if I still feel like I need to stop then I stop. I mean it all depends on the workout and how long it is but why put more stress on your body if you are feeling like crap? If this happens often then I would look at your training and diet.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Training Thoughts - when having a bad day... [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically follow the same protocol. Work through half of the intervals. If I don't wake up to the work, then I call it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just move on. Listen to your body. Only start to worry if it's frequent.

Life will get in the way sometimes. It's how we deal with the bad times that define our best performances I think. So move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
I'm sure a large factor is my change in diet. I realize it's not the most ideal time to change a diet plan, during a build program, but I am working on cutting a lot of the sugars out and transitioning to more protein and fat. As a result, I'm assuming that my glucose levels would drop, although maybe that's not true as long as I'm still taking in some carbs.

Cutting out sugars...fine. Cutting out carbs...not so much...especially during a build, which I'm presuming contains a fair amount of intensity. Complex, whole grain, low GI carbs are fine, sugars aren't necessary (nevertheless carefully used they are still handy). But, you still need a fair amount of carbs to support high-intensity workouts.

I was on a low-carb/high-protein plan for during my lower-intensity phase (transition season). Z1/2/low-3 work was fine, and I could repeat that day to day. I could even support a SINGLE SweatSpot session per week. However, once I started ramping up the intensity with the 2x20, and extended Tempo sessions...it went to hell fast...I dug a deep hole, and started missing planned workouts. I thought I was just old (at 48). I started adding whole grains back into the diet to offset the increasing demand and focusing on post-workout nutrition, and wamo I was able to complete SweetSpot (Mon), Threshold (Wed), Tempo (thu), and a LongRide with extended Tempo (Sat)...all while swimming 4x, and running 4x---and seeing increases in pace/power @HR in all three sports.

Like others, I always try and complete the first interval, and at least start the second. Sometimes it just takes an interval to wake everybody up. But, I can always tell as soon as I start the second interval, if its going to work or not. if I can't hit the wattage, or RPE/HR is way disconnected from power...then I bag it and start intensive resting. Then I start pouring over my training data, diet, and biometrics for the last few days for indicators that today wasn't going to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:

I never worry about it. I never finish my bike intervals. Does that mean they are too hard? Probably. I just stop, and start up again and complete my 90 minute session.
I just do what I can do. They only thing that matters is what one does on race day.

I have a friend who tells me all the time he can nail run bricks at 6:30 pace. But in a race, it is always 7:30. Which one matters?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:

Let it go, but don't ignore it.

Failing an interval isn't a big issue, but you really want to figure out why: Food, sleep, training load, ftp too high, ill, cooling, etc...

Rest will often help, but if there's something else going on you'll be limiting your training (ie. not eating enough, fan too small)
Quote Reply