Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training Peaks Plans
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are training towards our first ironman in fall. We've both done halves, marathons and sprints, so decided to step it up.
To compensate for our lack of experience at this distance, we hired a coach.

So far its gotten us to about half ironman shape without injuries or major issues. I know it gets harder from here.

Our dilemma is whether its
1 - worth it to keep going with this coach,
2 - or just use a pre-canned Training Peaks plan,
3 - or find another coach.

The reasons are as follows
A - our backgrounds are very different. She's a great runner, improving swimmer and developing cyclist. I'm an ex-competitive swimmer/cyclist, poor runner.
Yet our plans are the same all the time. We each need help strengthening our weaknesses.

B - the plans seems very canned. not much customization.I'm almost wondering if its a case of "buy the workout, recycle and resell"

OK - realistically, the cost is $150/mth/person. Which is not a goldmine for the coach.
And I have no experience with the pre-canned workouts, so its tough for me to say/compare.
Maybe my expectations are too high at that price, but I have no idea what I should be expecting.

In the end, my real goal is to be ready for the race, without injury.
If anyone has suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
thx
Quote Reply
Re: Training Peaks Plans [Shandit66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk to your coach about it. You guys definitely should have different plans, but they could be trying to cater to your couple-ship and have your train together.

As for the workouts themselves, usually the intensity is very individualized. Even if you're both, say, on an hour run, your pace/HR (whichever metric you've decided to use) should be different based on your personal fitness.
Quote Reply