Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training After Injury During Race Week
Quote | Reply
Once again I've turning to my fellow STers for some advice. I've been training for my 'A race' since March and last week I was hit with an illness that kept me from doing anything for the entire week. Now I am in race week and back at 98% health but lost for what I should be doing training wise. I've got a good base and common sense tells me that 7 days of rest (with the exception of one 7km run I did) won't result in all my fitness being lost. However with that being said, I'm conflicted on whether I should take a low volume low intensity "taper" week or if I should go hard and make up for last weeks lack there of.

I'ts only an Olympic distance race so nothing too long to endure but I placed 4th at my last race and had hoped to hit the podium this time. My nutrition, hydration and recovery practices (foam rolling, stretching, massages) are all going as planned in case that's a factor. I'm leaning towards a 'taper' week because I don't want to take away from my performance this coming weekend.

What do you guys think? I'd appreciate any insight or comments kindly ...

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Training After Injury During Race Week [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like the perfect taper to me. I have had some of my best races when I was sick before the race since this forced me to now over train.

Personally, I would go easy and get to the starting line healthy and rested.

Good luck in the race.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply