Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tour of Calif question - NOT a spoiler in any way
Quote | Reply
Are there any kind of "organized" pre-race group rides that ride the same course an hour or two before the peleton? Anyone seeing anything like that down there?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Calif question - NOT a spoiler in any way [Colin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe there is anything "organized". But there are quite a few cyclists getting their training in by riding out to sections mid-way on the courses to see the races go by.

Increasing awareness for suffers of DGS (Diminished Gluteal Syndrome).
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Calif question - NOT a spoiler in any way [UCSD racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the roads closed at that point? Mind you, I know nothing of the route. In my Washingtonian mind, all Calif roads are crowded with vehicles and hard to ride safely on!

For year's I've wanted to visit the Giro or TDF and do some of the rides in front of the peleton and I understand the roads are closed and there are a lot of riders out on the roads. Calif is a lot easier to get to though, so I might road trip w/ a buddy and give it a go next year in Calif.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>> In my Washingtonian mind, all Calif roads are crowded with vehicles and hard to ride safely on!

Keep that point of view. Embellish it a bit. Spread it far and wide.

Tell EVERYONE to STAY AWAY!!!!

Especially if they're drivin' a 2-ton++ SUV or a motorhome.

California is not safe if you're clad in lycra unless you're performing on stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about Stage 2, since that's in a more populated area. Stage 1 was probably a rolling closed road type thing. The roads they were on are fairly empty most of the times. Although it is quite narrow along Hwy 1, so the cars don't give you a whole lot of room. But to me it's fairly spacious compared to riding between cars going through San Rafael. So it's all relative. I have passed cars going the other way on Hwy 1 since you can take some of the switchback descents at around 20-25 mph, while the cars usually slow to 15 mph.

Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Calif question - NOT a spoiler in any way [UCSD racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's stage is on some of the quietest most beautiful roads in the state. You can ride 15 mile sections of the course on a Saturday morning and see perhaps 1 or 2 cars and no other cyclists.

I've ridden Bear Creek Road on a Sunday morning from Alhambra valley all the way to San Pablo Dam road and not seen a soul in a car on a bike or on foot.

I used to ride a lot in Marin, but since I've moved to the East Bay I've discovered what peaceful cycling really is. Marin on the weekend is a 200 mile long pace line with angry drivers in the middle honking their horns.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not sure about Stage 2, since that's in a more populated area. Stage 1 was probably a rolling closed road type thing. The roads they were on are fairly empty most of the times. Although it is quite narrow along Hwy 1, so the cars don't give you a whole lot of room. But to me it's fairly spacious compared to riding between cars going through San Rafael. So it's all relative. I have passed cars going the other way on Hwy 1 since you can take some of the switchback descents at around 20-25 mph, while the cars usually slow to 15 mph.

Yes, Stage 1 was a rolling closure, open until about 15 minutes before they rolled through. The early caravan (Clif car, Amgen VIPs, etc.) went through even earlier, with normal traffic.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tour of Calif question - NOT a spoiler in any way [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have to agree about how nice some of the East Bay riding can be. I've only ridden once out there with my new team, but it's a lot better than the commute across the bridge and through the little cities to Fairfax. Fairfax-Bolinas is nice and quiet, though. In fact, I think I'll head out there right... now.

Quote Reply