Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tour de France a Snooze
Quote | Reply
So only 4 days in and the Tour is already over? Lucky there are only two summit finishes left (12 and 18) or we'd probably see the largest time gap between Froome and whoever else in the history of the race. Riders have shown their form and Froome is on a different planet. Other so-called contenders trying to keep up look quite sad actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm enjoying it, but I'm a Froome and Team Sky fan, wasn't it only a few years ago that Froome and Contador both wrote themself off around the 5th/6th stage? There's drama left in the tour yet.

Having said that I'm gutted Cavendish is out and Sagan is also a massive loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froome on a different planet? Based on what? A wet TT? 2 minutes yesterday when Aru got away? WE haven't seem anything spectacular from hi, or anyone else, yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tour has been boring since Armstrong and Ulrich left. Truth hurts.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

Actually it was even more exciting before 1999 during the Pantani vs Ullrich TdF !!!

OK OK, the best racing is at the Giro and the Vuelta and to lesser extent the Dauphine. But I will be one of the idiots who keeps tuning in. Aru is giving me hope but now that he is shown his cards, its going to be harder for him to get away. We just need the ASO to come up with a bogus excuse to toss Froome to give a Frenchman the chance to win (Bardet)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Froome had ridden 1 minute into all his rivals yesterday, I would understand your comment.

He lost time to Aru, gained nothing on Porte and gained a few seconds on Contador and Quintana. Given that there is only another 23km of TTing to be done, Froome will be worried that he can't afford to give up much time on the few mountain top finishes to Aru, Porte and Martin, otherwise he could be in trouble.

If he wins the tour by 3 minutes, a fairly small winning margin historically, I'll be shocked.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I'm hoping Aru/Porte/Martin work together to attack Froome once he's isolated.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Froome on a different planet? Based on what? A wet TT? 2 minutes yesterday when Aru got away? WE haven't seem anything spectacular from hi, or anyone else, yet.

And yet there he is, after only 5 stages already up 40-60 sec on any possible contender. And what we have seen from these shorter "climbs" particularly in stages 3 and 5, when the road goes up, they can't keep up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh I actually think with the way this Tour is constructed this year, it keeps more people closer then really most years. It's what 10 people within 1 min after a summit finish. And yes that's only 1 mt stage but it also means they can't really lose a lot of time either. It also basically means it'll be harder to break free but I don't know that it's all that boring.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Exactly. I'm hoping Aru/Porte/Martin work together to attack Froome once he's isolated.

I posted this on the Planche de Belle Filles thread:

I think Contador is going to be at the Quickstep and Movistar buses in the next few days plotting out an ambush. It is his only way back and he needs allies. Basically he has to do like Macca vs Crowie Kona 2010 and convince everyone on the other teams that he is totally washed up and they need to work with him on a surprise ambush from way out. He has some good horsepower to make that work with Mollema and Pontano. Throw is a few helpers from these other teams and do something like attack from the steepest part of Col de Fer, 80K out from doing Telegraphe + Galibier and there is a chance

Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid mighty Contador is aging right in front of us and is that aging super star that went 1 season too many and is done, but hoping for "one more" rally (that never materializes). And not that he shouldn't, I mean there is what 20 teams at the Tour, and they all need riders, and Contador is going to finish top 5/6/7 almost guranteed. But him being this animated rider dancing on the pedals into the clouds, I think are officially gone. As I'd say in other sports about their contracts, he's simply riding out his contract it seems at this point. That isn't meant to be a knock against him, I just think we are watching a now muted Contador.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'm afraid mighty Contador is aging right in front of us.

Hasn't been the same since he came off his beef diet: not won a TDF stage since 2009.

In his prime one of the most exciting and tactically astute riders but can't compete with the best now, nor for the last few years.

Still a big name and a legend in cycling despite the doping.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that stat correct? Although some of the issues with mt top finishes is the break several times beats the GC riders to the top and we forget who actually wins the stage as we pay attention to time gaps within GC. I'd have lost my house on that bet that AC hasn't won stage in 8 years.

Again my post wasn't meant as a disrespect, to me it's watching MJ play in a wizards uniform when he dribbles the ball off his foot, or face planted trying to guard the younger guys. He's just there and a shell of himself (regardless of the whole doping stuff, even just a few years ago AC would atleast be great race animation attacks).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
gained nothing on Porte

Porte tried to attack, but Froome matched it and outsprinted him at the line. With the 3rd place time bonus, Froome gained another 4 seconds on Porte. As good a Froome has been in the past (and looking again), you can't let him nickle and dime you in the first week. Especially 35 seconds in a 16 minute time trial on day 1!!!!

Put me down as another person thinking this tour is over unless Froome crashes out like in 2014.

Only thing mildly interesting is going to be which sprinter decided to look for green instead of/in addition to stages now that Sagan is out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've really enjoyed that "Stages" podcast. Despite his many flaws (or more likely, enabling his many flaws) Lance is quite interesting and the time flies.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Is that stat correct? Although some of the issues with mt top finishes is the break several times beats the GC riders to the top and we forget who actually wins the stage as we pay attention to time gaps within GC. I'd have lost my house on that bet that AC hasn't won stage in 8 years.

I believe so but I stand to be corrected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy just watching the races... not ready to mail it in for Froome yet, still a lot of racing to go. Love the drama of the GC and the breakaways... whether or not they stick, etc. The scenery is fun to watch as well, never been to Europe outside of connecting flights in an airport.

Team Sky is stacked and looking good though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People saying that the TDF is boring four days in are in the same category as people who say they are boycotting watching the TDF over Sagan's DQ. These people are trying to find a way to check out before even getting started. If you don't like it then don't watch, pretty simple really.

The TDF is not boring as Fabio Aru is looking tough at 14s back. Daniel Martin is only 25s back and Richie Porte is 39s back. There is still a lot of racing left. As well, I just enjoy watching the best cyclists in the world and Froome is building a legacy as we speak. Like him or not, you have to respect what he has accomplished.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the entertainment. We only get this extensive cycling coverage once a year. Might as well enjoy it.

aerobike wrote:
So only 4 days in and the Tour is already over? Lucky there are only two summit finishes left (12 and 18) or we'd probably see the largest time gap between Froome and whoever else in the history of the race. Riders have shown their form and Froome is on a different planet. Other so-called contenders trying to keep up look quite sad actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'm afraid mighty Contador is aging right in front of us and is that aging super star that went 1 season too many and is done, but hoping for "one more" rally (that never materializes). And not that he shouldn't, I mean there is what 20 teams at the Tour, and they all need riders, and Contador is going to finish top 5/6/7 almost guranteed. But him being this animated rider dancing on the pedals into the clouds, I think are officially gone. As I'd say in other sports about their contracts, he's simply riding out his contract it seems at this point. That isn't meant to be a knock against him, I just think we are watching a now muted Contador.

Let me quickly catch you up on the last 7 years: the last time Contador was any good at the Tour was in 2010 when he last "won" it. Since then he has had a 5th, DNS, 4th, DNF, 5th, DNF. We're not suddenly witnessing the end of Contador; we've already witnessed it. And if he does finish 5/6/7 as you predict, that would be a great result for him, not a disappointing one.
Last edited by: aerobike: Jul 6, 17 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me get this straight...you are complaining about "boring" racing and in the same light said that Contador hasn't been a factor since 2010? What races have you been watching? He's always been on to animate the climbs whether top of GC of sitting in 4th. Only until recently have we really seen him simply not have those pedals to dance on.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, getting 4th - 5th in the Tour is no good? Seriously?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:

Nah. It was all downhill after 1989 and Greg Lemond vs. Laurent Fignon
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
People saying that the TDF is boring four days in are in the same category as people who say they are boycotting watching the TDF over Sagan's DQ. These people are trying to find a way to check out before even getting started. If you don't like it then don't watch, pretty simple really.
[/quote]
I've watched every stage of the tour since 2010. I'm in the middle of an IM build and have better things to do than spend time watching something that's referee'd in the manner that makes roller derby the first thing that comes to mind.

No fan of Sagan or Cav. It was just a stupid ruling. I'll tune back in, next year.........until they do something similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I've really enjoyed that "Stages" podcast. Despite his many flaws (or more likely, enabling his many flaws) Lance is quite interesting and the time flies.

Dude knows his shit, that's for sure

And he doesn't back away from his own history either

In Stage 5, he & JB were talking about numbers [specifically Aru's #51] saying that it seems some numbers win more often than others

"Number 1 probably has a bunch of wins, but six of those went away*"

* No, NOT SEVEN, since he was NOT wearing #1 in 1999

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de France a Snooze [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was the incorrect ruling on Sagan, but why let it ruin your enjoyment of watching the other top cyclists in the world compete at the highest level in the highest profile cycling event on the planet. Sorry, but I just don't understand this logic. Unless you're a self-professed Sagan Fanboy, I see no reason to tune the whole event out over a single blown call.

nc452010 wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:

I've watched every stage of the tour since 2010. I'm in the middle of an IM build and have better things to do than spend time watching something that's referee'd in the manner that makes roller derby the first thing that comes to mind.

No fan of Sagan or Cav. It was just a stupid ruling. I'll tune back in, next year.........until they do something similar.[/quote]
Quote Reply

Prev Next