Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Torn meniscus
Quote | Reply
I've had nagging issues since October. I took two weeks off, still had issues, two more weeks off, still had issues. X-ray was clear. Finally got an MRI.

Quote:
Small horizontal tear posterior horn lateral meniscus immediately adjacent to the root attachment

Livestrong says 6-8 weeks rest. My doc said one week off, one week light, then back to 100% (I wish). I'm currently at four weeks with no running. My gut tells me wait until Feb 1 to guarantee full recovery. The impatient side of me says start testing the waters.

Anyone been down this path? Specifically how long did you sit out, and what did your re-introduction phase look like?
Quote Reply
Re: Torn meniscus [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
I've had nagging issues since October. I took two weeks off, still had issues, two more weeks off, still had issues. X-ray was clear. Finally got an MRI.

Quote:
Small horizontal tear posterior horn lateral meniscus immediately adjacent to the root attachment

Livestrong says 6-8 weeks rest. My doc said one week off, one week light, then back to 100% (I wish). I'm currently at four weeks with no running. My gut tells me wait until Feb 1 to guarantee full recovery. The impatient side of me says start testing the waters.

Anyone been down this path? Specifically how long did you sit out, and what did your re-introduction phase look like?

Can meniscus heal itself?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a horn tear (not sure exactly where) but I'm not sure they'll actually heal on their own.

I had it cut out, and was running again in 6 weeks. I flat started over in volume build... nothing longer than 3-4 miles at a time, and kept it under 12 per week for a bit until I got comfortable. Doc had me on crutches, but I could easily walk the same day as surgery.

That was with LOTS of "pre-hab" and then I doubled up on the PT after, insurance covered 1 session a week, I would do one on my own at the gym. At the time I was 35, and the doc told me I was to old to repair it, just cut out the damaged section.
Quote Reply
Re: Torn meniscus [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but it depends on where you have torn and whether that bit is vascularised. Generally the meniscus is supplied with blood to the outer parts, and less well so / not at all to the inner bits. It should heal up, but I think I would err more on the side of a month at least. However, if you are feeling good and the doc thinks you are set (he's the one who has seen your scan) then why not give it a little tester and see how you get on? Should be pretty obvious from the get go if it is fixed or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hurt mine (acutely) in August. Dx'd by physio. I've heard MRIs can be reasonably inaccurate for diagnosing meniscus damage, so didn't get one so I don't know exactly which part or how bad...

Physio advised 10 weeks off running.

Have slowly gotten back into my usual routine (typically 2-3 runs a week), I wouldn't say it's yet at 100% but I'm able to go without pain. I'm only just back to being able to properly do a quad stretch on that leg.

Just got some Hoka Bondis too, hoping that will take some load off...
Quote Reply
Re: Torn meniscus [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Hurt mine (acutely) in August. Dx'd by physio. I've heard MRIs can be reasonably inaccurate for diagnosing meniscus damage, so didn't get one so I don't know exactly which part or how bad...

Physio advised 10 weeks off running.

Have slowly gotten back into my usual routine (typically 2-3 runs a week), I wouldn't say it's yet at 100% but I'm able to go without pain. I'm only just back to being able to properly do a quad stretch on that leg.

Just got some Hoka Bondis too, hoping that will take some load off...

I have a friend who is an ortho guy. Says MRI's are a total waste of money. Says until you get in and actually see what is going on, you have no real idea.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with above posts. I've had two knee surgeries now, first one relieved some of the "locking up" that was occurring, but didn't do much for the pain, and "clicking" or ratcheting in the knee. Second one was about two years ago, Doctor was awesome. Took a lot of pix, and told me as above that MRI didn't reveal true scope of damage inside. I'll find the pix, but on top of the torn meniscus I was missing a large portion of cartiliage. Pick your surgeon, if you go that route, carefully. Ask around, the truly good ones have a good following and people will rant about great care. I was walking in a few days, but due to some drilling he had to do I wasn't able to jog or jump for about 6 weeks. Did my first tri a few months after that, and Hoka Bondi 4s are my go to shoe. Little to no knee pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tore my meniscus in 2010, had a knee scope to trim it. Went from normal cartilage to bone on bone in a year after meniscus surgery. I had HTO and TTO to try to allow me to run again. Another knee scope and two weeks ago knee replacement all within 7 years.

I think my big mistake was pushing to much after my first knee scope to do my scheduled IM. Looking back I wish I had things done things differently and be more patient and allow myself to heal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had both knees done. After a week, doc said it was up to me. 6 weeks was about right.
6 months after each I did an Ironman, with a PR at age 60 and doing them for 34 years.
Like others have said, it depends on how much needs to be trimmed and how damaged the knee is.
I do think it is time to limit my running. Aquabike?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply