Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet?
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what helmet Tony Martin was wearing at 2014 TT World Championship? Doesn't look like the S-Works McLaren TT or older TT-02...

ETA: Anyone know why he wasn't wearing McLaren TT?

(Not from 2014 WC but same helmet)

Last edited by: JTolandTRI: Oct 1, 14 21:28
Quote Reply
Re: Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet? [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a TT3.
Quote Reply
Re: Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google seems to confirm that. Hadn't seen it before. Anyone have any idea why he moved away from McLaren back to TT3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it tested better for him?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT3 helmet. It's been around for years just hard to find. He wore the same helmet when he rode for HTC. It's similar to the TT but shorter. I would imagine it tested faster for him which is why he used it. Specialized does a lot of testing with their athletes leading up to big races. The new McClaren is definitely fast but due to the hump in Tony's back I bet the TT3 fit better and filled the gap

Last edited by: swimmer04: Oct 2, 14 4:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As everyone has said, it's the TT3. He most likely wears it as it's tunneled faster for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the TT3, a different helmet. If no one has pointed this out yet, it's probably because it tested faster for him. They do a lot of aero testing on their athletes leading up to big races.
Quote Reply
Re: Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet? [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man...I sure wish they sold THAT lid in the US...I dig my Evade but settled on it after hearing that Spec had no plans to release to consumers.

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Re: Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet? [spomeroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you'd be allowed to use it in the US anyway as it's not CPSC certified. Not a problem for us on the other side of the pond though :P
Quote Reply
Re: Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He needs an aero cover for his mouth - I've seen lots of images of him, and his mouth is frequently like this. I guess he needs lots of O2 to put out crazy watts!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah its a drag it isn't CPSC certified for the US..but that's another thread hahaha

cheers
S

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting.

Thanks for the info guys. Didn't realize there was a Specialized helmet between the TT2 and McClaren. Looks like the TT2 with front vent removed and tail shortened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:
They do a lot of aero testing on their athletes leading up to big races.

When was Tony Martin in California for testing in their wind tunnel? Considering his heavy race schedule, I'm fairly sure they do all their testing on him in the fall & winter. Unless Specialized has a tunnel (or other type of test facility) in Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I have to add is......

that is one sweet bike. Much nicer looking than the other Shiv!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Oct 3, 14 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It´s a non commercial version of TT3. It doesn´t have the front "mouth"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Interesting.

Thanks for the info guys. Didn't realize there was a Specialized helmet between the TT2 and McClaren. Looks like the TT2 with front vent removed and tail shortened.

It's what the HTC-Highroad and other Specialized pros used to ride before the McLaren came out, and it seems like a precursor in many ways.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet? [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vjohn wrote:
jjabr wrote:
They do a lot of aero testing on their athletes leading up to big races.

When was Tony Martin in California for testing in their wind tunnel? Considering his heavy race schedule, I'm fairly sure they do all their testing on him in the fall & winter. Unless Specialized has a tunnel (or other type of test facility) in Europe.

I know he's spent time in Drag2Zero's (also Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1) tunnel with Simon Smart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The funny thing is that he has switched back and forth between the MacLearn and the TT3 multiple times. The first time was around the time he beat Taylor Phinney at World's by a handful of seconds. He did an end of season TT about two weeks later and was wearing a different helmet.

Maybe he thought he needed every advantage for World's and pulled the TT3 out of storage.
Quote Reply
Re: Tony Martin 2014 TT WC Helmet? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The funny thing is that he has switched back and forth between the MacLearn and the TT3 multiple times. The first time was around the time he beat Taylor Phinney at World's by a handful of seconds. He did an end of season TT about two weeks later and was wearing a different helmet.

Maybe he thought he needed every advantage for World's and pulled the TT3 out of storage.

Maybe yaw makes a difference in what helmet is faster? So maybe for certain wind speeds/directions and maybe even course length he chooses the appropriate helmet?
Quote Reply