Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom Demerly Power Crank update.
Quote | Reply
-Just climbed off the Computrainer: 10 Mile Flat, Avg. Cadence 78 R.P.M., average power output 214 watts. First time in a long time I could climb standing with Power Cranks- but did it tonight. Since Monday about a 5% total increase in performance using the Power Cranks. Nice. Yes, I do sell them and believe in them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way to go! Don't you just love what these things do? My legs were hurting so badly the last time I rode my PC's (4:30 am yesterday), I was wondering what was wrong. I found out last night...I have a cold! Now, I'm irritated because I should probably take the day off. Reading your post makes me even more agitated that I'm taking the day off! I don't want you to catch up to me! Keep on coming, though, because I'll train harder when I get back on them knowing someone is gaining on me...

Wish I could have something to post actually pertaining to performance...well, maybe tomorrow.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
-Just climbed off the Computrainer: 10 Mile Flat, Avg. Cadence 78 R.P.M., average power output 214 watts. First time in a long time I could climb standing with Power Cranks- but did it tonight. Since Monday about a 5% total increase in performance using the Power Cranks. Nice. Yes, I do sell them and believe in them.

So are you still using them Tom? If so, do you have any comments now?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't used them in some time, which is a shame. They were (in my opinion) a highly effective traiing tool that not only benefitted my cycling but also my running.

Powercranks are an expensive but effective training tool. I saw an ability to maintain higher cadences and have a wider "cadence band" that I could employ. Running felt easier- it seemed as though my range of mtion and the rising motion of my leg during the running stride had become more "free".

Everything has an effect: I think it is very difficult to quantify what effect Power Cranks have, and that doesn't bother me. I do anecdotally feel they exert a training benefit.

Like Dan Empfield said about another topic, "This is impossible to test for", or at least, very difficult.

I think powerCranks work.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just tried my brand spankin' new ones on my trainer today. Kinda weird for the first few pedal strokes, but I don't think the learning curve will be as steep as I thought it might be.

Frank, are you reading this? I like them!

Susan
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [susanherself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I just tried my brand spankin' new ones on my trainer today. Kinda weird for the first few pedal strokes, but I don't think the learning curve will be as steep as I thought it might be.

Frank, are you reading this? I like them!

Susan[/reply]

As long as your ankle isn't the size of a cantelope I am happy.

Regarding the learning curve, there is a lot of variation. The stories of first rides tend to scare people but by the end of one week almost everyone is pretty well adapted and getting their mileage and time back up. But, I don't want people to think I misrepresent how "easy" it is to get faster with PC's. It is not. It is a lot of work.

BTW, since your main interest was maintaining your running got another anecedotal report from a pure marathoner today. He had an achilles injury and had been off running when he met me. I convinced him to use the PC's exclusively for 2 months as a test. He went to the track today for his first running and just did a little test to see how he was doing. He set a PR for the 200 meters. His previous best was when he was in school and doing a lot of speed work. He also said his achilles still bothered him somewhat and his foot placement mechanics were not very good. He was pretty happy.

So, don't be in to big a hurry to stress that ankle. Let it heal.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, since you likely have multiple bikes like I do, there is no excuse for not riding your PC's a few times per week. You don't have to go nuts and ride 6 hours on them. I just use mine for bike commuting basically 8-10 short rides per week of 30-60 min focusing on riding at 90-105 RPM. I totally believe in them as a great training tool. On the whole, my biking and running (in tris) have been strong this year due to a number of factors including training volume, but the PC's certainly help. I agree with you on being able to hold higher cadences.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the PCs all year, and I love them. I've recently discovered a new benefit. After my 20 mile runs the last two Sundays, I've hopped on the PCs on the trainer for about 90 minutes. The next morning, the legs feel great. In the past, I've been pretty sore the day after a 20 mile run, but not now. Very cool.

Hey Frank, do you have any info about people finding the PCs to be "uncomfortable"? When I ride them on the road, I find that I put more of my weight than usual on the saddle, thus creating an uncomfortable bum. Since I've in my big IM prep period right now, I'm riding the race bike most of the time, and only riding the PCs on the trainer, where I don't seem to have the problem. Thoughts?

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you're right. The problem is, everyone wanted to use them... I leant them to a couple guys and bam.... Frankly I don't know who has them now. Damn... I gotta get those things back. They rule.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF, yes, riding PC's put more weight on your ass ? Why ? Cause you are not pushing down as hard as on regular cranks. When you stomp on regular cranks, you tend to unweigh your rear end a bit.

Tom, no excuses. Just hang on to your PC's now and make your customers buy their own ?

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ankle is fine on PCs, exactly as you predicted. And as you suggested, I'm starting out at 165, which is the length of the cranks on my road bike. Will reassess in a few months.

I am elated at the report from the marathoner! My ankle has been feeling better and I have been fighting the urge to go for "just a short run." This news is exactly what I needed to stay the course.

PCs have made me quite the celebrity at my LBS. Everybody wanted to try them out on the trainer when I picked up my bike.

Only one other person in my city owns a pair, apparently--although it's not somebody I know or whom anybody I ride with knows, so I've got the only pair of PCs that anybody will see out on the road.

I will be either excellent advertising or the kiss of death, Frank. I will try to do you proud. I love these things already and intend to ride them all the time. The result should speak for itself.

Susan
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [susanherself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] The result should speak for itself. [/reply]

You would think so but on this and every other discussion group I know of if you get the result I expect (and report it) some will just think you are a shill. Stand by.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I've been using the PCs all year, and I love them. I've recently discovered a new benefit. After my 20 mile runs the last two Sundays, I've hopped on the PCs on the trainer for about 90 minutes. The next morning, the legs feel great. In the past, I've been pretty sore the day after a 20 mile run, but not now. Very cool.

Hey Frank, do you have any info about people finding the PCs to be "uncomfortable"? When I ride them on the road, I find that I put more of my weight than usual on the saddle, thus creating an uncomfortable bum. Since I've in my big IM prep period right now, I'm riding the race bike most of the time, and only riding the PCs on the trainer, where I don't seem to have the problem. Thoughts?

-Colin[/reply]

Everyone finds the PC's "uncomfortable" as they get their time up on them. This is because they are pushing down less hard (putting more pressure on the saddle) and pulling up more (putting more pressure on the saddle). As one gets better they should be able to push down harder again taking some of the pressure off but if this doesn't work two saddles have been reported to me to be better for the bum. Look into the fizik arione or the saddleco Flow saddle. The Flow apparently works very well, even for ultra cyclist PowerCrankers, IF their thighs do not rub against it.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! The uncomfortable bum. That is funny. Only because I know exactly what you are talking about after nearly two years of exclusive PowerCrank riding. Wait until you ride on them for six hours.

I find you just learn to adapt. My most common relief is riding with one straight leg holding me just off the saddle and spinning with the other leg, alternating back and forth. I also use every downhill to stand up and rest my butt. After a while it becomes unconscious and you don't have to think about it anymore.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are selling a bunch of them, I would keep one pair for yourself. I tell everybody I ride them 100 percent of the time and race on them, safely knowing that most people are too scared to make the investment in money firstly, and time secondly.

When people see them on my bike before races they shake their head, while I smile to myself, secretly glad they think I am an idiot.

I find it amusing because most of the people who I hear tell me they cost too much already own a $2,000 bike and another grand worth of gear.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think 5% is significant enough when it's merely anecdotal evidence.
Tell us when you've improved 10% or even 20%, which is about what I've done in the last 8 weeks following a training plan from training peaks. Hard work works too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom are you likely to TT in the near future so we can see if the benefit kicks in soon ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am improving fast--30 minutes this morning on my trainer in the aerobars. Am planning to ride outside this afternoon.

Susan
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Paul,

My results seem to be the opposite in that my cadence has dropped and dispite being skinny legged I have become a bit of a big gear pusher. I think I should spend more time working at riding the PC's at a higher cadence though with the current increase in my cycling speed I am slightly put off moving away form the big gear work i have been doing. Did you include any specific workout to up your cadence? I am guessing the high cadence pc work should really help my woeful running?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Demerly Power Crank update. [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't rush the high cadence thing. Whenever I did this artificially it always led to minor strains or pulls. Just keep riding the PCs all the time and eventually your cadence with come up. After about 18 months of riding I did a sprint tri and several duathlons and my cadence was 85-92. That number was probably lower than actually cadence because my computer counts coasting time as zero and so what reads as an 85 rpm average is likely a higher actual pedalling candence.

By that time,I had been riding four, five and even six hours through the mountains on PCs, so I think 35-90 minutes of 85-95 rpm was not a strain. My long ride cadence was never that high an average, usually in the 70s.

Chad
Quote Reply